PPI Reclaiming Discussion part 4

Options

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    sorted85 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Ive just recently heard of reclaiming ppi. I took out a loan with barclays in 2003 and paid the loan off in later 2004-early 2005. I was un-sure of the actual dates so tried phoning barclays directly. Although ive bank with barclays for over 10 years, they said they couldnt retrieve that data from that period as it was so long ago. This means im unable to ask for a copy of my policy at the time. Im a little confused and stuck with what i should do next as i think i have a genuine claim. Any guidance would be great.
    Thanks

Hi and welcome

I would give it a go if mis sold the ppi for any reasons you have, if you just have the account number that is fine.

You can retrieve an account number from banking statements - from when you were paying the monthly repayments, the account number should be shown next to that, if you still bank with the same bank and do online banking, you can check your statements going back as far as 6-7 years plus.

However, if you require any paperwork and they are unable to supply the actual agreement, you could instead request a Subject Access Request (SAR), they have 40 calendar days to comply by the Data protection act (DPA) and supply all the details they hold on you going back at least the last 6 years.
    There is SAR letter template for this if you decide to want to request a SAR, you enclose the payment of £10 cheque or postal order in with the letter.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553

When requesting for documentation, I would not request for it verbally in case of any fob offs, but always do so in writing.
    To request for just a copy of the agreement, this you would write a simple letter (if they have data dept - send to to them), request for a copy of the agreement, give the account number if you can find this, or give them as many details as you can, full name, address you lived in at the time, date of birth, any change of names and so on.
    Ask they supply the agreement by 12-14 days, and make them aware you have enclosed £1 cheque or postal order for this request.

Then to make a reclaim, you can either write a letter in your own words if you can (the first reclaiming template letter on here have been replaced by a FOS questionnaire).
    If you want to write to make a reclaim, just ask they refund all you have paid in PPI, plus interest to date, give your reasons of why your reclaiming, and ask they get back by 8 weeks.
    Then confirm if you do not receive a favourable decision, you will consider taking this complaint to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS).

Or complete the FOS questionnaire (not to be confused with the FOS complaints form), send to the banks complaints dept, save a copy in case you need to refer to this at some stage.
    You will find this questionnaire on link below further down the page as stage one;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

So do one or the other of the above, or both, its up to you.

Good luck with this, please keep us posted, cheers.:o
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • MattyA
    MattyA Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Like sorted above - I am new to PPI reclaim having never heard of it until I stumbled across this site recently.
    Anyway I have been digging through my paperwork of the last 20 years and have come up with various accounts & loans that had PPI on them.
    I have sent off the first letters to what I thought were the more straightforward cases (probably no such thing I know) and got my first reply yesterday which in effect was a knockback from Lombard.

They say:
    They cant find any reference to me or the account I quote on their systems.
    (I have copies of the finance agreement & the PPI/Keyman policy - should I send these to them?)
    My claim is for an agreement that dates back to/started in 1997 & that;
    (a) I should have known then that I had been mis sold.
    (b) It was sold outside the FSA ICCOB regulations and as such a needs & demands statement was not a requirement at that time
    (c) Due to the time elapsed time barring rules apply & Lombard reserves the right to apply these rules.

Are they correct in what they are saying is this worth pursuing?
    I have not heard of th FSA ICCOB regulations or seen them being mentioned before in relation to PPI claims,nor have I seen time barring mentioned on this site / threads relating to PPI.
    (I am new & have not read all the threads as yet admittedly)

Any thoughts / advice would be much appreciated.
  • Degs45
    Degs45 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all recieved a reply from the bank about PPI on a loan I took out last year ,the only reason I knew I had it is because I went over drawn and asked what it was , and they told me it was the loan insurance. I can remember discussing it with the bank worker but as I had told him I had been off work for 18 months after back surgery it wouldnt be worth having. Now is it worth going ahead with trying to reclaim the payments back ? It was £77 a month btw.
    any help gratefull recieved
    Im not really mad...
  • barneygumble
    Options
    Can someone tell me if this is worth claiming for, Halifax said that their policy would cover the mortgage in full at the time the policy was sold which was circa £220.
    The policy was around £80 per month and when claimed the policy premium still had to be paid each month, the income from the policy was a paltry £20, nowhere near the amount stated by the women in the branch. All this did in reality was reduce the monthly premium to £60 per month, totally useless and not on the basis it was sold on. Could someone confirm this has been missold?
  • mjgreen60
    Options
    Hi there,

Sorry to sound ignorant, but how do I know if I have PPI?

I am currently paying off a professional studies loan taken through RBS at various stages between 2002 and 2006. There is no mention of it on the statement, but every 3 months the interest is taken out and I wonder if it is bundled in with this.

I will have a good look through any documentation I have at home tonight, but is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Many thanks and sorry to sound ignorant! I have looked around but can't find anything in particular.

Matt
    Just started comping - 1/12/08 - keep your fingers crossed!
  • HardHeadCast
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am delighted to have finally visited this site! Thanks a million Martin for providing this for money numpties like me.:(

I am seeking people who have experience in having engaged Tucan Claims Ltd in recovering PPI on mortgage and credit cards. I have been approached by them in accordance with Ministry of Justice guidelines. However, the Ministry cannot endorse or otherwise comment on the integrity of the company. I am trying to undertake a little due diligence. Any help you good folks can give me in this respect is most appreciated!

Kind regards

Jason
  • Paul62_2
    Options
    I am relatively new to this but submitted my request for reimbursement of my Account Cover charge and was told no chance you have ticked the box and had an opportunity after 30 days to cancel. I had insurance for 12 years, yes I know thats pretty stupid. The letter states if I am dissatisfied with the response to write to the Finance and Leasing Association. Has anyone had a similar letter and who are the FLA and should I just be writing to the ombusdman straight away
    Thanks
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    edited 15 September 2010 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am delighted to have finally visited this site! Thanks a million Martin for providing this for money numpties like me.:(

I am seeking people who have experience in having engaged Tucan Claims Ltd in recovering PPI on mortgage and credit cards. I have been approached by them in accordance with Ministry of Justice guidelines. However, the Ministry cannot endorse or otherwise comment on the integrity of the company. I am trying to undertake a little due diligence. Any help you good folks can give me in this respect is most appreciated!

Kind regards

Jason
    A few threads here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1793685

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2669957

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1951325

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2090833

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=31794979&highlight=#post31794979
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    Options
    Paul62 wrote: »
    I am relatively new to this but submitted my request for reimbursement of my Account Cover charge and was told no chance you have ticked the box and had an opportunity after 30 days to cancel. I had insurance for 12 years, yes I know thats pretty stupid. The letter states if I am dissatisfied with the response to write to the Finance and Leasing Association. Has anyone had a similar letter and who are the FLA and should I just be writing to the ombusdman straight away
    Thanks
    What is means is the Insurance was sold to you before regulations by the FSA and as the firm was not under the Ombudsmans jurisdiction at the time of the sale then only the FLA can help. Have to say I have not seen anyone that has been helped by the FLA TBH. Your only other option would be to go after the insurer themselves if you know who they are and start the complaint again and then FOS "may" be able to help.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Having trouble posting today folks, will try to come back later, think i may have pluresy (again), so have to see my doc again later, catch ya lata.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport