Sar Letter

Options
This SAR was kindly supplied by Incipience.

DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Date: xx:xx:xxxx

Dear Sir/Madam
Name xxxxxxxxxxxx
Account No’sXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I understand that you currently hold details of my personal and financial information within your internal record systems with regard to personal loan accounts and credit cards accounts

I would be grateful if you would provide the following for ALL accounts or associated accounts I hold or have held with your organisation:
  1. Full copies of all contracts which you believe exist or have existed between myself and your organisation, including true copies of any documents you hold in support of the same.
  2. A complete list of all transactions or statements relating to ALL of my Loan Accounts with your organisation.
  3. Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contacts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.
  4. Full copies or transcripts of any correspondence in postal, email or any other format which you have entered into with any individual, organization or third party which contains my personal or financial, or which pertains to me.
  5. Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.
  6. Full hard copy print outs of my personal or financial information, held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which is held in any archives, backups or other storage devices / locations.
  7. Underwriting sheet or other such document recording any commission (or other) payment made to an intermediary or packager, and/or payment/commission from the insurer in relation to my account.
Where you have used abbreviations and/or codes, I would request that an accompanying sheet be provided so as to translate these abbreviations and/or codes and their meanings, I also request an accompanying appendices of the documents included and reference to the purpose or meaning to those documents.

I request that you provide all the information requested above, even though you may consider that it falls outside Data Protection.

I reserve the right to refer to the contents of this letter if an application for pre-action discovery is necessary relating to any of the documents requested herein.

I enclose a cheque in the sum of £10 to cover your fee.

IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DEAL WITH THIS REQUEST, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIALTELY FORWARD IT TO THE PERSON WITHIN YOUR ORGANISATION RESPONSIBLE FOR DATA PROTECTION.

I look forward to hearing from you in the first instance of receipt.

Your Faithfully.

.................................................. .................................................. .......................
Details of:
SAR (SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST)

For anyone requesting a Subject Access Request (SAR), they have 40 days to comply and send you all the information they have on you on your accounts.

£10 cheque payment or postal order is required.

Always post by recorded delivery.

When you receive the SAR, you should receive all that is requested within the template, if in doubt just post up here where someone will be able to confirm what is what.

You will or should receive all information going back as far as 6 years, you may be lucky to receive information going back even further, every company varies from one to the other.

Write again to the company if you believe they have not given everything requested, they should write back within a short time and confirm if that is everything they do have on you and your account(s) with them.

You do not always receive recorded discs, however phone calls made Jan 2005 after may have been recorded, where they may then supply the recordings, but otherwise you should receive transcripts of dates, times etc of when calls were made and the reasons for the phone calls.

If there were a joint loan taken out, and you both require details, most companies will want 2 payments of £10 x 2 = £20 cheque or postal order and require 2 signatures, check this with the company concerned to save on time and any come backs.

Again if you feel let down you can always contact the Information commissioners Office, known as the ICO who will be able to direct you here, here is the ICO website for your interest, check this out, as more information will be within their website.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public.aspx

:wave:

Comments

• maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    Options
    Good Idea Dreamer33.
    :mad:
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options

For posting purposes, when posting by recorded delivery which is recommended when sending SAR's and reclaim letters, you can check the ref tracking number which is given as a receipt at a post office, here is the link so you can check your tracking:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/personal?pageId=tab_track_rm&catId=500185&mediaId=83900761
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Beatlefan
    Beatlefan Posts: 892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks for this. :D Am using this as the template for my letter to my bank requesting historic info.

Can I check a couple of things?

Firstly what does this paragraph mean:

I reserve the right to refer to the contents of this letter if an application for pre-action discovery is necessary relating to any of the documents requested herein.

Secondly, does the OP above, mean that financial institutions started recording telephone conversations/applications in Jan 2005, but didn't record them before that?

Many thanks. :A
    Big thanks to Martin Lewis for helping us start to sort out our finances!!!:A

Best Comp win:X-Box 360!!

And thank you to all posters! You're wonderful!
  • maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2009 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Beatlefan wrote: »
    Thanks for this. :D Am using this as the template for my letter to my bank requesting historic info.

Secondly, does the OP above, mean that financial institutions started recording telephone conversations/applications in Jan 2005, but didn't record them before that?

Hi I would think that the first paragraph is meaning if it goes to court they can refer to the contents of this letter and information that is contained within.

Secondly some were not covered by registration before that date so did not have to comply to current registration. Look at the Sticky FOS online information
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1475623
    Good Luck
    :mad:
  • di3004
    Options

Hi there

There are many types of SAR, this is the latest one that was posted on here, it was originally posted by a poster called "Incipience".

I'm sure someone will clarify this for you, but in regards of the telephone recordings, I believe some were recorded before JAN 2005, but more so afterwards.
    In some of my SAR requests I did not receive recordings, but written transcripts of times called and what the query entailed etc, this was in regards of loans prior to 2005, but I did receive recordings of a loan taken out in 2006.;)

oops sorry Max, did not realised you already posted lol, glad you did though, cheers X
  • Beatlefan
    Options
    Thanks both. :A Presumably a SAR with the accompanying £10 payment is the only way to get the necessary paperwork from the banks? I've got the paperwork for my existing loan, but need to write to my bank to get details of my old loans with them. Don't mind paying the £10 if I get some PPI back though, but it's annoying to have to pay them to prove they mis-sold!! ;)

• di3004
    Options
    Thanks both. :A Presumably a SAR with the accompanying £10 payment is the only way to get the necessary paperwork from the banks? I've got the paperwork for my existing loan, but need to write to my bank to get details of my old loans with them. Don't mind paying the £10 if I get some PPI back though, but it's annoying to have to pay them to prove they mis-sold!! ;)

I know what you mean, but keep at it and it should all be well worth it in the end.;)X
  • Beatlefan
    Options
    Sorry to ask so many questions, Di, :o but do you have to send this letter and a £10 charge every time you write to an institution asking for details of old agreements.

I've just found the settlement paperwork for a loan we took out to pay for new windows when we first moved into our current house in the late 90s. The agreement was sold by the windows guy, but funded by First National. By the time we came to settle the account early in 2005, the credit agreement had moved to GE Money (not sure if they're the same company?).

It talks about an amount of rebate in the settlement figure, so I presume that's PPI.

Do I need to send the SAR letter and £10 to GE Money if I can't find the original paperwork anywhere?

Many thanks. :D

• di3004
    edited 16 April 2009 at 10:59PM
    Options
    Sorry to ask so many questions, Di, :o but do you have to send this letter and a £10 charge every time you write to an institution asking for details of old agreements.

I've just found the settlement paperwork for a loan we took out to pay for new windows when we first moved into our current house in the late 90s. The agreement was sold by the windows guy, but funded by First National. By the time we came to settle the account early in 2005, the credit agreement had moved to GE Money (not sure if they're the same company?).

It talks about an amount of rebate in the settlement figure, so I presume that's PPI.

Do I need to send the SAR letter and £10 to GE Money if I can't find the original paperwork anywhere?

Many thanks. :D

Hi hun

Not a problem.

I will do my best to answer what I can.;)

If its just the agreements you require without all the paperwork, you can just write to request for a copy of the agreement and enclose £1 postal order or cheque payment, where they should supply this to you by 12 days of requesting this.

In regards of the SAR, they have 40 days and they should supply everything requested on the template.

Bear in mind though that if beyond the 6 years, it may be more difficult to retrieve the information, that is in England and Wales, Scotland 5 years, not sure about Ireland though.

If its with the same company, only one SAR is requested, so for every different company, yes its £10 charge for each one.

Say for instance you had 4 loans with the same company, then that one SAR for that company is all you require where only £10 is sent.

If your finance was arranged by a broker, you can to what I know of request for the SAR from either the broker or the lender, as the broker again to what I am aware of sends all the written paperwork on to the lender anyway, but its the broker you write to - to complain.
    Hope this sorts of helps.:D;)
  • Beatlefan
    Options
    That's great Di, thanks. :T I think if they can send me agreements themselves and PPI contracts, that'll be enough for what I need for now for my stage 1 letters. I'll try that for now and keep the SAR letter up my sleeve for later if I need it. Also saves me £9 too!!

Thanks again. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure