PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Tues 20th Jan 09

Options

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's absolutely possible to LOVE someone to bits, it's just that you don't always LIKE their actions or what they say. I'm sure most would subscribe to that view. It's finding a balance/compromise that suits all parties that is a problem.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well said, Sybil!:T :T keep up with all your good work and progress enjoy your afternoon out with little bear.
    Thriftlady I too know exactly want you mean I get so frustrated by my mum I too love her and know she will not be around for ever but know exactly were you are coming from
    Frugal challenge 2024

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Can I interrupt what is certainly an "interesting" conversation here?!

PLEASE stop talking about "Big Chef Little Chef", coz I have recorded it and won't be watching until the weekend!!!

BTW, I am an adult orphan, having lost my dad in 1991 & mum in 2005, and I miss them both - but I agree with the general sentiments about mothers / MiL who annoy / irritate / call at the most inconvenient times as my mum could do all, but the best was my exMiL, who would persuade her husband to drive 18 miles to come & see her darling son & grandson because she was worried about them, but wouldn't think to phone first to see if anyone was home! :rolleyes:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello folks.

I've been MIA for a bit - have been unable to do anything much, OS or otherwise for a while.:(

But I did complete a long-term task yesterday. I had a folder full of tatty, scrappy bits of paper with recipes on, some hand-written from various sources, others cut off packets of an ingredient - you know the sort of thing, some of them as much as 20+ years old. Anyway, they are now all neatly typed up on the 'puter, and the scrappy bits of paper (some with print almost too small to read) have been put in the recycling. Job done!!:rotfl:

That said, I still need some inspiration for tonight's dins.....:confused:

Mr LW has been driving me nuts the last couple of days. Sunday evening he'd promised to take me to a talk on Tarot, and when the time came, decided he wanted to go to the pub instead.:angry:

Then last night, I'd already loaded the WM, and he had some stuff to go in, so I asked him to set it up (we put it on timer to come on overnight on cheap(er) leccy). He put the restof his washing in, put the powder in..... and forgot to turn it on. MEN!!!!:wall::wall::wall:

((((HUGS)))) to all who are in need of one today, or just want one. I'm not going to get greatly drawn into the discussion on parents (my views would be too controversial even for here, I fear), but will just voice my personal feeling that "friends are the family you choose for yourself".
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Maya* wrote: »
    I dont post in this thread but I read it every day and I will say sorry in advance if anyone thinks my post is harsh. I just want to give another view.

My mother is still alive so I did not find your post upsetting in that regard but your posts yesterday grated on me. First your daughter was ill and your main concern was missing your French class then you talked about your mother and how she irritates you and you have cut her visits from once a week to once every three weeks. Today you say that she is a wonderful grandmother to your children and that you love her dearly but you seem to forget her feelings regarding spending time with you and her grandchildren. I assume she is elderly. There must be some way that you can make time in your life to accomodate her more often so that she and your children can benefit? Could she babysit and you and oh go out when she's there if she annoys you that much? Grandparents are wonderful people and memories of the time I spent with my grandmother are still with me.

You post superb practical housekeeping cooking and nutritional advice on the os board but is os not about much more than that? Is it not about basic values, some selflessness and valuing family members too?

I find this a very offensive post as it seems an out and out attack on Thriftlady when she has done little other than express an opinion,an opinion that is shared by many people as my Dad had a saying that if you could choose your family like you choose your friends how many of us would choose the family we have?As for Thriftladys parenting abilities, she seems a great mother to me and maybe just maybe the french lesson is the only quality time she has for herself she has in a week and treasures it.As for the attack on Wannabe Sybil that was totally out of order and you should be ashamed of yourself poor old sybil has her problems but give her her due she's trying her best to tackle them and definitely doesnt deserve attacking for them. Its posts like these that make the board guides want to restrict the posting topic of this thread merely to OS activities and if we did this we would lose the joy of the interraction and humour that is also a part of this thread so please think about this when commenting on subjects that you are not qualified to express an opinion upon

Lesleyxx
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to the thread - don't hold back! Don't worry about who you upset, who will be devastated by your posts, who will be sitting here wondering why, when their mother has driven them to suicide attempts, what they did wrong. Just come right out and tell it how it is.

You are the same person who told me I was violating my son's basic human rights because my mental illness was making it hard for me to take him to play group. How good did I feel then! I remember, I cried for hours.

I look forward with interest to see your other posts on this thread. I am sure that they will be illuminating and extremely helpful.

:T :T :T

Well said my adopted sybil, have a lovely day with little bear

Thriftlady I understand your post on so many levels. My elderly mum lives with me, I love her to bits and when anything happens to her I will be completely and utterly devastated and in pieces BUT there are times she drives me to distraction, there are times when I have to walk away and grit my teeth, there are times when I think omg I really do not like what you are saying/doing. She is one of the kindest most generous people alive but can still send my blood pressure soaring at times.
  • wannabe_sybil
    Options
    Patentgirl - I do understand how you feel about the 'not here forever'. There are times when I am completely shattered by my darling uncle's phone calls and I know that if we lived closer I would be a complete wreck within a month. But he is such a lovely man, out for everything he can give, in very poor health and I am trying to make the most of him now. Even though I am driven to distraction by him :rolleyes: He is supposed to be visiting this weekend (weather permitting) and he will not know how to relate to little bear, so will just threaten to take pandy off him and make cat noises, even though it is so clear that he loves little bear. There isn't a resigned 'aaaahh' smilie that does it justice.

Little bear, bless him, takes it all in his stride!

Just a little vent now and again will keep me going.

(this is the same man who is in a freezing bungalow and I worry to bits!)
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, can we draw a line under all this now, this is the os daily thread, lets all be nice to each other :D

Well I have done three loads of washing, which are hung on the airer in the conservatory, hoovered through, upstairs and down, mopped floors, prepared tonights pasta bake for dd and friend and scrubbed two large spuds for jackets for OH and I.

I have also make a cornflake / chocolate cake thing (what are they called ?) to use up some cornflakes which have been hanging around for ages. I have also prepared tomorrow nights dinner, which I will shove in the sc before work.

Just had lunch, hm roll crisps, and left over chicken, it was yum, going to wash these dishes and have a coffee and a game of scrabble.

Have a good afternoon xx
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    *Maya* wrote: »
    ...... you have no right to bring up the question of you being nearly driven to suicide by your Mother's beahaviour. How on earth am I supposed to deal with that? ........

I don't particularly wish to get embroiled, but maybe that is how WS felt if you suggested she was violating her son's human rights by not taking him out?

Sometimes we all type / speak before we put our brains into gear....I know I certainly have done so.
  • wannabe_sybil
    Options
    Also, there is talk of my darling father coming to live with us.

My darling father and dear heart get on really well, and darling father and little bear are very much partners in crime. It has added a fun dimension to the house hunting, however, as dear heart's desire for a big garden, a large house, a study, a conservatory and now room for darling father are somewhat at odds with the budget.

I would have had my late father in law to live with us like a shot - he was a gentleman. My late mother in law, although completely doting on little bear in the few months they had on earth together which shows she had her good points, drove me scatty! I used to cry after every visit, though I did grit my teeth and keep inviting her.

I think if my late mother in law had had to live with us, despite both our best intentions, because she did try her best, we would have ended with UN intervention.
    Ankh Morpork Sunshine Sanctuary for Sick Dragons - don't let my flame go out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure