PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Tues 20th Jan 09

Options
Hi, this is the Daily Thread for Monday 19th January. This is an 'Over the garden fence' type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread that we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we have achieved already. Everyone is welcome so please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!
As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred.
When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “Hi everyone, hope you are all well”, type start does just as well!

Morning.

amerflag.gifThis is for the new US President today. Not that I have any particular political affiliation, but it is history in the making.

I enjoyed a nice evening off last night, after working 37 hours of the previous 48. No matter the overtime will make my USA holiday a step closer.

I made a chinese up from a mixture of takeaway leftovers and new stuff, delicious and my first beer since last Tuesday. coffeetime.gif

Last day today and then a few days off. OH is sick, so she can't apply for supply teaching work. We all have head colds so are getting by.#
My daughter did the test purchasing with trading standards and the Police. She is 14 and does not look much older. She bought alcohol 7 times !!!!!!!! NO ID nothing. That was 7 shops and pubs prosecuted including a major supermarket and some German ones....:eek:

Cold last night 3c, no snow and 10mm rain. Well have a nice day, cheers folks
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• daisychain80
    Options
    Morning N9eav, blimey thats short and sweet hope our ok?
    I have work today which I am not looking forward to :( I am not feeling too good either with the addition of counting down the hours to the dentist on thurs for a root canal!!!(i am petrified of the butchers......sorry I mean the dentist!).
    I am determind not to spend ANY money at work so I shall be takng my lunch - HM soup
    Tea tonight will be HM curry and rice.

Hope you all have a good day and hugs to all who are feeling down.

Dx
    DFW AND OS'ER IN TRAINING!!:D
    Oh and bump due 3rd Dec 09' mummy to be for the first time :T
  • daisychain80
    Options
    Sorry N9eav, when I sarted typing it just said "morning" :) sorry :)
    DFW AND OS'ER IN TRAINING!!:D
    Oh and bump due 3rd Dec 09' mummy to be for the first time :T
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    I always do that. It helps avoid crossed posts and stuff.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • coldstreamalways
    Options
    14 and able to buy alcohol, it's scary isn't it. OH's daughter is 14 and the thought of her being able to buy it for herself and get drunk out on the streets is just unbearable. Good on you N9eav for allowing your daughter to "police the streets"!!!

Daisychain, you'll be fine. People tell horror stories about Root canal work. In reality, lots and lots of my patients fall asleep when we're doing it-I figure it can't be that bad then!! Let us know how you get on.

I've been for a run and won 60p on my two free scratchcards so pleased with myself. Had to deliver an "all ranks B0llocking" to my staff yesterday as they were all b1tching at each other, it seemed to work but we shall see if it's had any long term effect today! Also lost another lb so quite pleased with myself.

Anyway, love to all.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

N9eav, that is terrible that your daugter was able to buy alcohol at her age, but what a good job for her.

Day off today, and I have loads of washing to do, at least three loads, will get the first one on in a moment, looks like it will have to be on the airer again, as we are expecting rain.

DD has her friend coming for a sleepover tonight, its the one we took on holiday with us, she is a lovely girl, but wont eat any meat but chicken, :rolleyes: , so they are having a pasta bake with garlic bread, and OH and I will have a jacket spud with assorted leftovers, nice and easy, the girls have a day off for teacher training tomorrow and will be heading into town.

Need to hoover upstairs today, I was just to tired yesterday, and have a general tidy round.

Hugs to all in need, have good days all xx
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, Brrrrr its snowing:mad:

Taplady I read about facebook, well done to you for joining, it does sound fun but I'm afraid I'm too old for that I would think
    N9eav that is awful that DD was able to but alcohol 7 times. I hope those people lose their licence to sell boozer. No wonder we see so many drunk kids when its so easy to buy
    mhagster how can you feel shy, you are from the Shire :p
    hilstep I am sure that some men just do not think the same was as we do when it comes to relationships, but I would be feeling the same as you, rational or not
    thriftlady I hope DD feels better todayand you know you can sound off whennever its needed here, isn't that what friends are for
    wannabe sibyl I hope you feel better today. I really look forward to my daily dose of what you and little bear are up to. I think I will adopt you and be your cyber auntie
    specsappeal well done on your job:j
    Diva ((hugs) just because I can :D and I am glad Treacle is much better
    Purpleivy I hope you feel better today and your phrase "skanky veg" made me sit and giggle so much
    PenPin I hope you get better soon and well done to DD:T She is a girl to be proud of.

I have turned this into a novel :confused: Anyhow. Was rather domesticated last night, dinner cooking which was some lamb shanks I rescued from the back of the fridge, lemon glazed carrots and creamy garlic mash. DH said it was all rather posh and that a resturant would charge a fortune for that. While that was happening, a load of washing was done, the bathroom wiped over and a duster flicked around the living room. The air purifier I bought from boots the other week has turned out to be worth every penny as you would never know old mum was smoking.

I'm getting worried about her as she just doesn't seem to be getting better from that last chest infection. Nothing specific really, she doesnt want to eat and no matter what I suggest that she has she wrinkles her nose at. Steak pie that she always loved ended up in the bin on Sunday evening. I told her that when she is back getting her bloods taken on Thursday that she must get an appointment with the dietician and get some supplements prescribed to which she said uugh, or words to that effect. To be honest of it was a toddled you would diagnose failure to thrive, I guess its the old person's version and what makes it worse is she can't get out in this weather.

Enough of my moans. Dinner tonight is quail that DH decided was a bargain in lidl the other week:eek: Will serve with green beans and dauphinoise potatoes.

I wasnt to send warm ((hugs)) to all those poorly ones, folks in need and furry hugs to the poorly pets

Mel xxx
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning All

N9eav - thought a couple of shops but 7 - guess that's another thing that will get worse in the recession - worrying though.

Not raining here at the moment :j , enjoying a cuppa and some peace and quiet. DD is up but eating her breakfast at the moment.

Did quite a lot in the office yesterday so am pleased with myself but in there again this morning, have decided that this is the week when I will get all my paperwork up straight. This afternoon need to pop to the library and the butchers which are in the same village. Need to go to the next village on to pick up a sack of potatoes - sausages and mash for dinner tonight.

It's my 40th in 2 months so have been looking at a few days away - looked at Eurodisney but eurostar isnt running there when I want to go and the prices are £700-£900 for a couple of days :eek: . Have been there before but saw a late booking florida holiday for £1200 so no way spending that for Paris. Anyway have changed my mind and now looking at theatre breaks in London.

I have waffled some this morning - best get on.
    x
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    It's a cold & frosty morning here today.
    Off to work soon, lets hope my office doors are shut this morning.
    Breakfast - porridge
    Lunch - sarnies
    Tea - smoked haddock

Bargain Bird, I've sent you a pm

I hope everyone has a good day.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :rolleyes: Morning all:hello:

Thanks for all the supportive comments when I was moaning about my mum and dd:D

Dd isn't well, a virus I think. I've sent her back to bed dosed up with calpol and her wheatie bear.

I'm not going to get my walk in today, unless I go in the dark this evening. Hey ho:rolleyes: I read an interesting article in the National Trust mag about how good being out in green spaces is for your mental health as well as your physical health. Basically a walk somewhere green and growing is as good as prozac in many cases. I certainly find it refreshing both for mind and body.

So, things to do whilst stuck at home. Well, I'll probably be on here quite a bit berating people for wanting to use their slow cookers to make omelettes :D:D

Will probably bake some bread. There's leftover rice for my lunch -egg-fried rice-yum. The boys have cheese sandwiches, muffins and apples. OH has much the same but with watercress in his cheese sandwich.

Supper I think will be veggie -butternut squash barley risotto possibly.

No doubt I will see you all later;)
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All :hello:,

A job well done N9eav DD, 7 :eek:.
    Had quite a good night last night, only got out of bed once :T. So feeling abit more with it today.

DD's currently munching their way through, weetabix and cheerios (not mixed together).

T today, fish and creamy pots (or even daulphinoise SP? Pots) Mudgekin do you fancy sharing your reciepe ?;):D

WM on TD to go on v shortly, not much else on today apart from keeping warm and the usual flciking of a duster ;)

Hope you all have a good day x
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts