MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should the twins get the same value presents?

in Money Saving Polls
128 replies 18.6K views
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should the twins get the same value presents?

Ten year old twins Monica and Gabriella have just decided what they want for Christmas. Monica’s cheekily asking for a £100 Nintendo DS and game, while Gabriella just wants a £40 pair of roller skates she picked out in the sports shop. Should their mum simply buy them both what they want, or is it only fair to top up Gabriella’s gift so it's equal value?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Insult them by paying or let them struggle?
Would you get into debt to grant a friend’s dying wish?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• I would always give children the same value gifts - my OH has 4 children of different ages, but I make sure they get the same value within a pound or two.
  • Give them gifts to the same value, or give Gabriella the £40 gift and put £60 into a savings account for her!
  • ka7eka7e Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    I actually have twins and always buy them gifts of equal value - or make up the difference with cash.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • If the parents can afford it give them both what they asked for. There's no need to buy extra for one to make it up to the same cash value as the other. They both get what they wanted for Christmas, which is the main thing.
  • blonde36er wrote: »
    Give them gifts to the same value, or give Gabriella the £40 gift and put £60 into a savings account for her!

I agree

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • I'd spend the same amount, whether the rest be on other presents or in the form of cash/savings account.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • *Louise**Louise* Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    I would spend the same amount on both
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • I would buy them the presents but mark each present "For Gabrielle AND Monica". Then they would decide between themselves who wants to mostly play with which toy, but must share with the other if the other wants to.
  • Same value gifts for all your children, whether or not they are twins. As others have said, make up the difference in cash if you can afford £100 per child, otherwise tell the one who wants the expensive present that you can afford £40 and get them to take the difference out of their savings.
  • martin71martin71 Forumite
    22 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Surely the value is irrelevant? I think people are forgetting the nature of gift-giving - it's not a RIGHT to receive a present at Xmas (or any other time, like birthday).

So if a parent kindly decides to buy a child a present, then the value of that present should not then be subject to debate or comparison with the value of anyone else's present. Making up the difference in cash suggests to the child that they are entitled to a certain amount of money - which doesn't sound like the magic of Christmas to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals