IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I pay..Civil Enforcement Ltd?

Options

Comments

• ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    You COULD perhaps write to them, appealing the ticket. From that point they may well start bothering YOU with the threat-o-grams, instead of your Dad.

You can then ignore the letters instead.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • F_The_Gov
    Options
    It's funny how they don't have an e-mail address, but have a checkout system wanting peoples money.

As long as I know I'm fine and have nothing to worry about regardless of the amount of letters sent then I'm all good.

A bailiff in Scotland... haha it still makes me laugh, they are based in Liverpool and are obviously going by some English law tbh =O
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly.

Even then the English law relating to breach of contract (which is what this is) limits any damages for breach of terms to actual losses suffered, which in a free car park is zero.

So even if they know you are the driver then they are still pursuing you for what constitutes a contractual penalty which is legally unenforceable.

The fact you are in Scotland will be enough to deter them from doing anything stupid. Even in England they'd be stupid to pursue this, which is why most PPCs never ever do.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • F_The_Gov
    F_The_Gov Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2012 at 7:42PM
    Options
    I spoke to one of my friends who works for British Gas... who actually deals with getting warrants through the sheriffs court here. Not entirely sure how it works, but I know the basics.

I would need to ask him for more details regarding what he actually does.

He just said don't pay them and ignore!
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Options
    You have a clued up friend. As I posted above your first post, this firm would not have the first idea about taking anything to court and have never done so.

If you want to cut the letter chain short, send them back their last letter with some addition to it that will tell them in no uncertain terms that you will not be paying them a penny.

Send it in an envelope without putting a stamp on. When you take the p*ss out of them they get the message that sending you further junk mail is a waste of time!
  • F_The_Gov
    Options
    You have a clued up friend. As I posted above your first post, this firm would not have the first idea about taking anything to court and have never done so.

If you want to cut the letter chain short, send them back their last letter with some addition to it that will tell them in no uncertain terms that you will not be paying them a penny.

Send it in an envelope without putting a stamp on. When you take the p*ss out of them they get the message that sending you further junk mail is a waste of time!

Yeah, he just mentioned that bailiffs in Scotland don't exist because it would be illegal for someone to come and price items on my property when they don't have a sheriff officer & a court warrant with them. So basically those people 'bailiffs' would be trespassing. Besides I owe nothing to this CE service... it's not like I bought something from them that I can't pay up in time =S
  • dizzydiver70
    Options
    Anyone using this car park take note
    the ticket machine doesnt register the first number of your registration - or as the town council explained to me - we havent put the reg in right! - hence a fine. BUT - you wont get this info from THE COMPANY without paying - and what a win win situation huh. I complained to the council as i said they were solely responsible for who maned their car parks and it looked bad on them if tourists were being ripped off by a bogus company.

Im not paying it clearly, especially as we paid for all day tickets in the first place. But its hard work convincing everyone else its a con.

I told the council to read this forum and get a repitable company in to the job properly.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone using this car park take note
    the ticket machine doesnt register the first number of your registration - or as the town council explained to me - we havent put the reg in right! - hence a fine. BUT - you wont get this info from THE COMPANY without paying - and what a win win situation huh. I complained to the council as i said they were solely responsible for who maned their car parks and it looked bad on them if tourists were being ripped off by a bogus company.

Im not paying it clearly, especially as we paid for all day tickets in the first place. But its hard work convincing everyone else its a con.

I told the council to read this forum and get a repitable company in to the job properly.

Could you PLEASE start your own thread, as your post has nothing to do with this topic.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2012 at 2:00PM
    Options
    As you say, its a variant on the age-old "ticket machine out of order" con. What's needed is to batter away at the Council that this firm is thoroughly dishonest.

Tri, the poster is replying to their own post earlier on this thread. Though I do agree, these never-ending threads are highly unsatisfactory. They should be locked with a message to start a new post with your problem.
  • dizzydiver70
    Options
    sorry - my point was
    its civil enforcement who sent out the fine, and hence how i got onto this forum, as obvioulsy i wanted to know whether to pay it or not. So it is relavant. I figured if anyone else was there that day they may be looking at this forum too.

im knew to this - give me a break!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family