Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    National Express East Coast have increased their discount on their advance tickets for booking made in the next few days:

To get a whopping 20% off, all you need to do is book between 28 September and 2 October, for East Coast travel between 5 October and 20 December.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm puzzled by the inclusion of the Cross Country 'up to 75%' offer in this list. It looks like just the normal advance ticket offer - nothing special or additional to that available on other websites. And £1 to post the tickets - free elsewhere.

Or am I missing a trick?
  • csreader
    Options
    There is an offer for over 55s travelling in Scotland, very similar to the "Scotland by Rail" voucher scheme. It's called Club 55 Senior. A return ticket anywhere in Scotland (including Berwick and Carlisle) costs £15 - deduct £2 if you've a Senior Railcard. Even better: add only £4 to travel first class, e.g. on the routes between Edinburgh or Glasgow and Aberdeen or Inverness.

Valid for travel up to Sunday 13 December for the outward journey; return within one month of departure. No need to book for the Club 55 Standard tickets, but for first class (Club 55 Premier) you must book in advance and travel on the trains you specify. You can use the Scotrail website or the National Express East Coast site (but that one says that the tickets aren't valid after 30 June!)
  • nroberts
    Options
    I've used this regularly over the last 3 years when it was available.. Great deal!
    If you are travelling second class you can just ask for a ticket at a manned station on the day of departure - note though that (at the moment) they are not valid for
    travel before 9:15am. If you need to leave earlier just buy a single ticket to a station
    which you leave after 9:15.
    You can also take bikes on this ticket for free even on those trains that
    require bikes to be pre-booked! My wife and I travelled with pre-booked seats and pre-booked bikes from Ayrshire to Mallaig (7 hours? ) journey each way over the
    best railway route in the UK - Rannoch Moor/Glenfinnan Viaduct (some may argue!) for £30 total.

csreader wrote: »
    There is an offer for over 55s travelling in Scotland, very similar to the "Scotland by Rail" voucher scheme. It's called Club 55 Senior. A return ticket anywhere in Scotland (including Berwick and Carlisle) costs £15 - deduct £2 if you've a Senior Railcard. Even better: add only £4 to travel first class, e.g. on the routes between Edinburgh or Glasgow and Aberdeen or Inverness.

Valid for travel up to Sunday 13 December for the outward journey; return within one month of departure. No need to book for the Club 55 Standard tickets, but for first class (Club 55 Premier) you must book in advance and travel on the trains you specify. You can use the Scotrail website or the National Express East Coast site (but that one says that the tickets aren't valid after 30 June!)
  • lindajoy
    Options
    I recently purchased a SENIOR RAIL CARD from National Rail for my mother. Cost of £26. Then deciding to get one myself - I discovered that I could get one for £16 from my local council. In this instance it was the Cheshire West and Chester Council. I wonder if all Councils offer this reduction for the Senior Rail Card, or is it just Cheshire.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lindajoy wrote: »
    I recently purchased a SENIOR RAIL CARD from National Rail for my mother. Cost of £26. Then deciding to get one myself - I discovered that I could get one for £16 from my local council. In this instance it was the Cheshire West and Chester Council. I wonder if all Councils offer this reduction for the Senior Rail Card, or is it just Cheshire.
    No all councils do not provide this facility, but there are others with varying discounts.
  • nqsenile
    nqsenile Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Listed in Martin's Money dated 4 Nov 09
    But
    listing says travel must be completed by 23:59 31 October.
  • iggy12a
    iggy12a Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    You have already listed the Southern 50% offer. This is a bit sneaky, but a one day off peak day Travelcard across zones 1-6 normally costs £7.50. If you book a one day off peak Travelcard from Epsom (which seems to be the closest station just outside zone 6), this normally costs £9, but because of the 50% discount, is currently available for £4.50. You can pick the ticket up from any station ticket machine, and as far as I am aware, there is no obligation to start the journey in Epsom, so effectively you are getting the use of a £7.50 ticket for £4.50. The only slight problem is that the ticket when printed, calls itself a one day season ticket, valid only on Southern, which is almost a contradiction in terms, since the online booking conditions clearly say that it is a Travelcard. Bus drivers do not always recognize its validity, but there is no problem using ticket gates on the tube.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iggy12a wrote: »
    You have already listed the Southern 50% offer. This is a bit sneaky, but a one day off peak day Travelcard across zones 1-6 normally costs £7.50. If you book a one day off peak Travelcard from Epsom (which seems to be the closest station just outside zone 6), this normally costs £9, but because of the 50% discount, is currently available for £4.50. You can pick the ticket up from any station ticket machine, and as far as I am aware, there is no obligation to start the journey in Epsom, so effectively you are getting the use of a £7.50 ticket for £4.50. The only slight problem is that the ticket when printed, calls itself a one day season ticket, valid only on Southern, which is almost a contradiction in terms, since the online booking conditions clearly say that it is a Travelcard. Bus drivers do not always recognize its validity, but there is no problem using ticket gates on the tube.
    That a great suggestion.:beer:

And if you happen to have a railcard, that same zones 1-6 travelcard becomes £3.00.

Absolutely brilliant! That's cheaper than one single cash ride on the tube.
  • GBT2010
    Options
    Just found a £10 travel anywhere ticket on East Midlands Trains on Saturday 30 January 2010. Travel must start at East Midlands Parkway station.

Voucher required from reddotday.co.uk

This is a repeat of an offer from last summer - we went down to London that time . Its £10 for unlimited travel on the day - I presume its the same again this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure