Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Retro_Bunny
    Options
    Family and Friends Railcard not worth it?

I'm quite shocked. I've just been trying to find tickets for 2 adults and 2 children, and I was trying different combinations on Advanced tickets to find the best deal.

I put in 2 adults and 1 child (as I only need one child ticket, but want a seat for my youngest aged 3, so buying an extra ticket to get 4 seat reservation). Getting a nice price for three tickets of £17.75 advanced ( 2 x adults at £7.10, plus child ticket at £3.55).

I then thought that adding another child ticket would add £3.55, but no it doesn't. It's adds £13.15!

What's going on here then?

The breakdown of the price shows that my adult tickets are now £10.30 and the child tickets are now £5.15 each (still listed as the same "advanced" tickets). Odd.
    I wonder what would happen if I add the Family and Friends discount?
    The price drops to £17.50.

When an eligible "family" picks two adults and two children which could be discounted under family and friends railcards, the rail companies are inflating the price of tickets to account for the fact that the railcard discount could be applied.
    I've checked numerous trains, dates and times, and adding an extra child to make 2 adults and 2 children, inflates the advanced ticket price in preparation for the Family and Friends discount being applied.

Save 30% with Family and Friends Railcard.
    Not when buying advanced tickets you don't!

When buying advanced you may be better off trying two transactions of 1 adult and 1 child each time. Try it and see.

(If anyone MSE bod wants to see my method, I've taken screen shots and happy to explain how)
    --- Warning: Grumpy Old Man in Training ---
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You don't seem to have noticed
    https://www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk/kidsfor2
    I went with a party of 10 adults and 10 children on off-peak travel cards to London from Billericay, each of the adults was £17.50, each of the children was £2. Only available at booking offices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure