Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• gujujainuk
    Options
    Good Afternoon All,

I love MoneySavingExpert.com and thank you to Martin for setting in up. I saw the following advert on today’s (Sat 28Feb09) The Times newspaper supplement booklet titled ‘PlayList’, page 26.

The advert say’s the following:
    The Times
    TWO RETURN TICKETS
    FROM £90 ON EUROSTAR
    Fast track your way to Paris, Lille and Brussels by collecting just four passwords.
    Find your first next Saturday in The Times.
    Password collect. Terms and conditions apply.

Milan.
    GujuJainUK
  • Lynne13_2
    Options
    Hi, have just booked myself trip to Newcastle, booked 2 singles, seperate transactions and saved £8. Result! No problems with site at all. Thanks.
  • patrick0
    patrick0 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Re the link for £5 discount on rail tickets over £20 from TheTrainLine: by all means use this link while it lasts.

But once this offer finishes don't buy from TheTrainLine. Not only do they charge a £1 booking fee, they also charge £2.50 if you use a credit card. They are one of the only train ticket selling companies that does this. Buy from any of the others to avoid paying £3.50 in fees, eg. National Express East Coast, Chiltern Railways, Southern Railways, Virgin etc.
  • JaneAire
    JaneAire Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    hello, the link to trainline doesn't work any more. JA
  • laura_f_g
    Options
    Hi,

Hopefully this the right forum, i'm talking about the family and friends card not the £5 discount?

I've just looked at the terms of the Family and Friends card and you HAVE to have one child travelling with you in order for the discount to apply. What about those that don't have children?

I travel by train regularly so would really benefit from this deal, but for whatever reason (separate discussion) I don't have kids so can't use it. I only travel off peak so it's not like i'd be getting a discount on their horrendous peak time fares, and if anything should be more appealing since i'm not taking up another seat on the train for a child which could be used for an adult passenger.

Sorry, rant over!
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Laura,

Welcome aboard the MSE forum; there is nothing quite like a good rant as a first posting:D So you are a rich singleton or an even more prosperous DINKY couple?:T

The train companies charge what they think they can get away with, and having kids is a 100,000++ investment, that tends to mean that their parents are a bit short of the readies. .

It is worth checking out your journey, here in poverty stricken Saff Essex;) we give our local train company a hard time and even British Rail had to cut fares in order to put rival coach firms out of business.

We get cheaper than usual off peak day returns at the weekend and a half price offer for group travellers.

http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/tickets_timetables/ticket_types/leisure/group_tickets

[The company even came up with a scam of its own in relation to its cross ticketing with London Transport - but we will leave that old dog sleeping].:rolleyes:

Perhaps you should try starting a competition on here by posting the journey you want to make and then challenging other MSE'rs to beat your price.

:beer:

Harry
  • dninja
    dninja Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at a train to London, on FGW £61, on TheTrainLine £11. Exactly the same train. Even with a £5 discount it isn't really worth it!
  • ed2712
    ed2712 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

What is the cheapest way to book a train from Liverpool - Newcastle upon Tyne for the 17 - 19 April please?

Kx
  • moochershopper
    Options
    Just tried the link for the Virgin £1 tickets and the offer is now closed for mobitix. Does anyone know if cheap tickets are still available from them or were they just for that promotion? If so how do I find them?
  • angus1
    angus1 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Anyone registererd for this? I can't get it to accept my form. Says the required fields are not all completed even though they definitely are!
    (Angus is my dog, not me ...) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport