Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• lou44
    lou44 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Signed up to this deal some time ago - the 2 months free then £13 after - not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know how long its taking? would love to plan some days out with my daughter but can't until get the card!!! btw love this website, am now a dedicated moneysaver.:rotfl:
  • lou44
    lou44 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    lou44 wrote: »
    Signed up to this deal some time ago - the 2 months free then £13 after - not heard anything back yet. Does anyone know how long its taking? would love to plan some days out with my daughter but can't until get the card!!! btw love this website, am now a dedicated moneysaver.:rotfl:

Decided to sign up for this again despite the fact i had gone over the date by a day and - YIPEE - card came in post within 24 hours!!! have checked price of return travel to man airport in july and with this card will be saving nearly £40 so result!
  • archiebabes
    archiebabes Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    To get a half price family railcard (so £13 rather than £26) if you buy online between 24/7/09 and 21/8/09: go to www. familyandfriends-railcard .co.uk and enter the promotional code DAILYM09, then you get a year’s worth of discounted travel for £13.
  • monto
    monto Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2009 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Thanks archiebabes for the heads-up on the Daily Mail offer. There's a slight sting in the tail if you want to combine it with the free YHA membership - I quote from the 'purchase complete' page of the railcard website:

"Claim your free one year Family YHA (England and Wales) membership valued at £22.95 by calling on receipt of your Railcard.

"* Please note the free YHA membership offer is not valid for Family & Friends Railcards purchased as part of the Daily Mail promotion. Customers purchasing a Railcard through the Daily Mail promotion will be entitled to 50% discount on family YHA memberships. Please quote Daily Mail when redeeming the offer. All other t&c's apply."

So it amounts to a £1.50 discount off the whole package, though I've not figured out if your railcard is somehow branded "Daily Mail reader"...
  • zx2011
    zx2011 Posts: 309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anywhere* on South West Trains for £10 adults and £5 for children at the weekend(Not the last Bank Holiday weekend) this month only:

Saturday 1, 8, 15, and 22 August and Sunday 2, 9, 16 and 23 August.

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/News/_midsummermadness.htm

* except the following: stations west of Honiton; stations between Warminster and Bristol Temple Meads inclusive; or to/from the stations on the Isle of Wight.
  • simonash
    simonash Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    10p kids train travel:

I've already posted this but figured this was probably a better place to put it.

www thisislondon.co.uk/standard-home/article-23720583-details/Kids+travel+by+train+for+10p+this+summer/article.do
  • telerijj
    Options
    Just saw a poster in Cardiff Central station today:
    Two kids travel for £1 each on the Arriva Trains Wales network, when accompanied by an adult. The offer is available Monday to Friday only until 4 September. There's more details on their website.

Arriva Trains Wales operate throughout Wales and the border regions including Chester, Shrewsbury, Hereford, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Manchester and Birmingham.
  • pegeen
    pegeen Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, I have just been out of the country for a while and am quite shocked :shocked:to find out that the cheapest fare from Exmouth to Bangor in North Wales is £119.The last time I booked to go up there I was able to get an Apex or Super Apex by booking 2-3 weeks in advance,not 12 weeks. I don't generally know what I am doing 3 months in advance.I did phone National Rail enquiries and they were able to offer me a cheaper fare @ £76 arriving at nearly 11pm. I am 67 years old and find that a bit late to be travelling on my own. The only alternative is to travel with National Express who offer a reduction for people my age £39 return. However it's 101/2 hours travel as opposed to 7. In Spain where I have been recently they offer 30% reduction to people over 60. How about they do the same for the elderly over here.I have recently read about a deal where you can go from St Pancras all the way to Switzerland for less than £100 retun.No one wants to give up their cars with these prices.None of this makes any sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2009 at 9:42PM
    Options
    pegeen wrote: »
    Hello, I have just been out of the country for a while and am quite shocked :shocked:to find out that the cheapest fare from Exmouth to Bangor in North Wales is £119.The last time I booked to go up there I was able to get an Apex or Super Apex by booking 2-3 weeks in advance,not 12 weeks. I don't generally know what I am doing 3 months in advance.I did phone National Rail enquiries and they were able to offer me a cheaper fare @ £76 arriving at nearly 11pm. I am 67 years old and find that a bit late to be travelling on my own. The only alternative is to travel with National Express who offer a reduction for people my age £39 return. However it's 101/2 hours travel as opposed to 7. In Spain where I have been recently they offer 30% reduction to people over 60. How about they do the same for the elderly over here.I have recently read about a deal where you can go from St Pancras all the way to Switzerland for less than £100 retun.No one wants to give up their cars with these prices.None of this makes any sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?
    I am unsure what you are asking?
    Or are you just having a rant?

If you want help looking for a cheaper train ticket, you will need to tell us when you want to travel.
    For the journey you want to make I can find Single tickets for £34 each way, at reasonable hours. The dates I chose were out on 8Sep return on 22Sep... 2/3 weeks away (not 12 weeks).

If you want a discount, get a Senior Railcard. Ok you have to buy it, but it gives a bigger discount that you could get in Spain.

I don't understand where Switzerland comes into it.
    Do you want to go there too?

I realise peoples situations change, but here you were complaining that you couldn't book more than three months in advance. Now you say you don't know what you are doing 3 months ahead. :confused:
  • telerijj
    Options
    Hi again, another offer by Arriva Trains Wales - Club 55. Saw a TV yesterday afternoon and there's posters up in Cardiff Central station.

Club 55 - Anyone who's 55 or over can travel anywhere on the Arriva Trains Wales network for £15 return. Ticket can be brough over the phone or at train station. Offer not available online.

More information is available on the Arriva Trains Wales website.

Unfortunatley, I'm too young to participate in this offer but seems like a good deal, especially if you're doing a long distance trip. First Great Western ran a similar promotion this time last year and I think they're doing it again this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure