Cheap UK Travel Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• tortoisesaver
    Options
    If you don't mind a little bit of a longer journey you can save bucket loads on train journeys from Southampton to London Victoria.

A normal off peak anytime return ticket to London Waterloo is £21 with a YP railcard (so £30 odd without) but if you book the advance ticket (up to 6pm the day before) for London Victoria it is £3 o/w!

The journey does take up to 3 hours and is on a slow stopping train - but if like me you can use the time to do work, it's a godsend really :D

One thing - I generally use this to get to London on a weekday evening - I'm not sure of the frequency at weekends....
    Also, it goes via Gatwick, so could be a moneysaver for flight connections.....

Happy travelling!
    :money:
  • fatboyonadiet
    Options
    Can anyone get the Sun 2-41 website to work? Clicking on the link just tells me page not working
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • bobito
    Options
    Hi, I've just been looking for London - Newcastle & return. Best deal seems to be National Express bus funfares, with a break at Sheffield, making 4 separate journeys, with 3 stages at £1 and the other one at £6. Quite a bit cheaper than booking as two journeys direct London - Newcastle and return, with the advantage of a break and walkabout time in Sheffield!
  • alexinmancs
    Options
    Isn't it a good idea to add in the article on the website about Mobitix? Apart from the fact that it can be... messy it's not free (OK it's only pennies but still)
    I just used the site and was trying to find an alternative to mobitix but not only there is not one right now but it doesn't even say that there will be in the future. I think this is the only way you can get your tickets in the future so if it's added to the article at least people who join it will know ;)

Oh and just in case this message it's too whingey...
    I just want to add that I have found great deals on this site and I do appreciate everything that the MSE team does for the us (the consumers) and subsequently the market.
  • janiceb_2
    Options
    does anyone know if the £5 off at travelsupermarket works if you are using a railcard?
  • andypandy1966
    Options
    Can I just mention that the 50% off National Express coaches applies to disabled people too. I just wave my bus pass...
  • cosyc
    cosyc Posts: 336 Forumite
    Options
    janiceb wrote: »
    does anyone know if the £5 off at travelsupermarket works if you are using a railcard?

It looks like it you enter your card type before it gives you train prices.

Tried to book 4 tickets but you only get one £5 off ( I was expecting £5 per ticket) then plus £1 booking fee and £2.50 credit charge. I don't know if I can risk going through the process 4 times as we may not get seats together!
  • JRC116
    Options
    I have been battling with Virgin for 6 months to access the special offer £1-£9 Manchester to London fares. I used to get the Print@Home tickets with no problem but that service is now not available.
    Mobitix is now the only method for accessing these special offers. My phone has all the correct facilities enabled but will not accept the tickets. Virgin keep asking their techies to help but they don't.
    I'm really fed up because I visit London at least once a month and I saved loads with the Print@Home scheme but now I have to buy advance or offpeak tickets. If I can book well in advance I can still get £8 tickets but£1, £3 or £7 is even better.
  • CaroW_2
    CaroW_2 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cosyc wrote: »
    It looks like it you enter your card type before it gives you train prices.

Tried to book 4 tickets but you only get one £5 off ( I was expecting £5 per ticket) then plus £1 booking fee and £2.50 credit charge. I don't know if I can risk going through the process 4 times as we may not get seats together!

It sounds a bit of a rave but perhaps you could try to get three other people to use the site at the same time as you on separate computers/laptops? Then you could benefit from four times the £5 offer and also check if the seats are relatively close together. Like I say, it's a bit of a performance though!

Also, in reply to janiceb, I have a 16-25 Railcard too and I had problems. I rang them up, thinking it was a problem with the promotion and they told me to clear the trainline cookies off my computer, which I did, but no success. I eventually gave up and decided that I should be satisfied with my 33% off! I know this doesn't help you, but it may alert others to badger thetrainline over the phone for their discount :)
  • JRC116
    Options
    I have been battling with Virgin for 6 months to access the special offer £1-£9 Manchester to London fares. I used to get the Print@Home tickets with no problem but that service is now not available.
    Mobitix is now the only method for accessing these special offers. My phone has all the correct facilities enabled but will not accept the tickets. Virgin keep asking their techies to help but they don't.
    I'm really fed up because I visit London at least once a month and I saved loads with the Print@Home scheme but now I have to buy advance or offpeak tickets. If I can book well in advance I can still get £8 tickets but£1, £3 or £7 is even better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure