🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

eon energy online 5 or swap to online 8??

Options
im with eon for my gas and electric im on energy online saver 5 and can change to energy online saver 8 this is about 20%cheaper
is it worth changing or is it lower in price because it has not been raised yet?

Comments

• philng
    philng Posts: 802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just looked at the same thing.

New Cost on V5 is £933 including existing 18% discount. Cost on V8 is £822 with a 14.3% discount which is nearly 12% less. Discount also runs longer on V8.

I would gues that at some point V8 will also rise but this maybe a mth or 2 so the question is whether it is worth switching? I suppose V8 could subsequently increase to a higher point than V5 or will they bring out a V9?
  • freddysmith
    freddysmith Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It might just be a big fat juicy worm to catch you out.
    I'm in the same boat recieving a 20% discount on the saver 5 tariff.
    There are some cunning people at Eon
  • abiza
    Options
    I just changed from online 5 to 8 think'n it is cheaper but for sure they will hike prices for this tarif too. But till i recieved a confirmation letter i have 7 days to switch it back. So i would say wait for 9 days to see if they change prices too. Lady i talked was saying that they will not offer online 5 anymore but you can always switch it back within 7 days

Abiza
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The v8 prices are exactly the same as the V5 prices pre-increase. I believe the discount on v8 is slightly less than v5 though.

The same thing happened a few months ago when by swapping to the newer version you avoided the increase for a few months although the discount was identical so it was a no brainer to swap. This time it's a bit different as the v8 discount is less.

I was trying to do a comparison to see what the difference would be but the comparison sites still seems to have the old v5 prices so it didn't work out right.
  • Geoffo_M
    Geoffo_M Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    The v8 prices are exactly the same as the V5 prices pre-increase. I believe the discount on v8 is slightly less than v5 though.

The same thing happened a few months ago when by swapping to the newer version you avoided the increase for a few months although the discount was identical so it was a no brainer to swap. This time it's a bit different as the v8 discount is less.
    I rang up yesterday to ask about the discount and was told it was the same. I decided to swap to V8. If it's about 4/6 months that it stays at the lower rates (as it did with the Feb increase) it is well worth swapping. To be honest, even if the discounts are less, with increases 34%/38%, I think it's still worth swapping
  • jem16
    Options
    Geoffo_M wrote: »
    I rang up yesterday to ask about the discount and was told it was the same. I decided to swap to V8. If it's about 4/6 months that it stays at the lower rates (as it did with the Feb increase) it is well worth swapping. To be honest, even if the discounts are less, with increases 34%/38%, I think it's still worth swapping

I believe the discount was about 3% less. As you say if it holds off the increase for a few months it's worth it. However if they put up v8 in the next week or so it wouldn't be.
  • littlemissmoney
    Options
    I've just phoned up and they have confirmed that the same discount applies to v5 and v8 for me (14.2%) so it's a no brainer to swap. But maybe it depends where you live?
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
  • freddysmith
    Options
    Right.....have also phoned (using the free number of course)
    I would lose approx 4% discount (area discount) if I changed but was told this lower tariff may last into the new year but should last a couple of months as its to encourage new customers and give exisiting customers a lower tariff to move to (might just be sales speak).
    Now its time to work out the figures and make a decision
    If your discount is the same to move, I agree its a no brainer.
  • jem16
    Options
    I've just phoned up and they have confirmed that the same discount applies to v5 and v8 for me (14.2%) so it's a no brainer to swap. But maybe it depends where you live?

I phoned up to check for my parents. The discount was 18% on v5 now reduced to 17%. Discount on v8 is 15%.

I was also told that v5 is now £150 dearer for my parents than v8 would be. I suppose the chance is when will v8 go up.
  • freddysmith
    Options
    Looking at the price difference v5 seems about 30% - 40% more expensive on some tariffs.

Saver 5 prices

Electricity
    Normal units up to 900 kWhs
    25.1685 pence

Normal units
    10.437 pence per kWh

Gas
    Normal units up to 2680 kWhs
    6.52995 pence

Normal units
    3.5574 pence per kWh

Saver 8 prices