Forum Home» Consumer Rights

Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Consumer Rights: MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

edited 10 June 2010 at 4:34PM in Consumer Rights
3.4K replies 333.9K views
Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
9.6K posts
I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler Savvy Shopper! Stoptober Survivor
✭✭✭✭
edited 10 June 2010 at 4:34PM in Consumer Rights

Please click reply to discuss the Consumer Rights Article
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• dave2986dave2986 Forumite
    164 posts
    Hi

Yesterday I signed up for the gym at university, unfortunately I did it in a bit of a rush and ticked the 12 month box not the 6 month one(which I wanted), they didn’t take payment their and then as the machine was broken or something.

i realised what i did when i got home, so i phoned them and said could i change it they said i could and to come round today to sort it out.

But when i went they said I couldn’t change it as they had taken payment last night and their policy was only to allow members to up not down grade.

Is their anything i can do?

I seem to remember when I was a member of another gym their had a 14day cooling off period, and I wondered if that was the law or just their policy????

any ideas?
  • ZoetoesZoetoes Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Hi all

I have a Siemens SL65 which I got from LX Direct toward the end of July.
    For the last couple of weeks or so it has kept crashing mid conversation or mid text & sometimes switches itself off.

As I have had it for over 3 months what are my options? Is it down to Lx or Siemens?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    If you're going to stalk me, while you're at it can you cut the grass, feed the dog & make sure I've got bread & milk in :D
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    dave2986 wrote:
    Hi

Yesterday I signed up for the gym at university, unfortunately I did it in a bit of a rush and ticked the 12 month box not the 6 month one(which I wanted), they didn’t take payment their and then as the machine was broken or something.

i realised what i did when i got home, so i phoned them and said could i change it they said i could and to come round today to sort it out.

But when i went they said I couldn’t change it as they had taken payment last night and their policy was only to allow members to up not down grade.

Is their anything i can do?

I seem to remember when I was a member of another gym their had a 14day cooling off period, and I wondered if that was the law or just their policy????

any ideas?

don't think cooling off period applies if signed on these premises
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Art_2Art_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    dave2986 wrote:
    Hi

any ideas?

If you signed on their premises the cooling off period doesn't apply. However, there are things you can do. Firstly if you specifically discussed 6 months with the person who signed you up, ask them to confirm this and to adjust the agreement. Failing this ask to see the general manager of the gym and put your case forcably to him.

Finally if this doesn't work, ask for the head office of the company running the gym and write to the MD telling him that if it isn't resolved you will go to Trading Standards and the university authorities.

regards,
    Art.

• Art_2Art_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Zoeleigh wrote:
    Hi all

I have a Siemens SL65 which I got from LX Direct toward the end of July.
    For the last couple of weeks or so it has kept crashing mid conversation or mid text & sometimes switches itself off.

As I have had it for over 3 months what are my options? Is it down to Lx or Siemens?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Under the sale of Good Act 1979 the retailer is responsible. Don't accept any excuses from them. Put your problem in writing and keep a copy. Give them 7 days to replace the product or tell them you will take them to the small claims court. You will win the case!

Regards,
    Art.

• does any one know the answer to this i paid adeposit for an lpg conversion , had too cancel 2 weeks before the receipt says deposit for labour company will not refund any money is this legal ?
  • Art_2Art_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    does any one know the answer to this i paid adeposit for an lpg conversion , had too cancel 2 weeks before the receipt says deposit for labour company will not refund any money is this legal ?

Sorry can't understand your question. Can you be clearer? What product is it?

Regards,
    Art.

• Morning all,

Around Christmas time last year I purchased a new kettle and toaster from Argos and both have recently developed minor faults.

The breville illuminating kettle, no longer illuminates.

And on the Tefal Avanti toaster one of the buttons to raise the toast higher doesn't function (in fact it never has).

Although these two problems do not affect their overall functionality, it is annoying that I have paid for these features and they no longer work.

As they are still less than a year old, who should I contact to get a replacement or repair, should I go back to Argos or to the manufacturer?

I still have the receipts for both items but not the boxes.

Thanks
  • Art_2Art_2 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Morning all,

Around Christmas time last year I purchased a new kettle and toaster from Argos and both have recently developed minor faults.

The breville illuminating kettle, no longer illuminates.

And on the Tefal Avanti toaster one of the buttons to raise the toast higher doesn't function (in fact it never has).

Although these two problems do not affect their overall functionality, it is annoying that I have paid for these features and they no longer work.

As they are still less than a year old, who should I contact to get a replacement or repair, should I go back to Argos or to the manufacturer?

I still have the receipts for both items but not the boxes.

Thanks

The retailer is liable under the Sale of Goods Act. Actually, you will have no problem with Argos with getting the items replaced. They are excellent on customer service, particularly as you have the receipts.

Regards,
    Art.

• fagunfagun Forumite
    411 posts
    :question: Martin,

Your updated note on Consumer Rights doesn't cover auctions. I think this is particularly important for eBay, because I think you have rights to require a refund if you buy faulty new goods from a trader on eBay (eBay selers currently can refuse a refund and only offer an exchange). See the extracts below from the CAB adviceguide.org website.

I researched this as I had a dispute with an eBay seller. In the end it was easier to get a refund from Barclaycard [got a full refund even though goods were only £20] than to pursue this with the seller.

I'd be interested if I'm correct in my interpretation. if so, is it worth updating your eBay / Consumer Rights notes?

AuctionsWhen you buy goods at an auction, your rights will depend on whether the goods are new or second-hand, and whether the seller is a trader or a private individual. The seller will be the original owner of the goods, and not the auctioneer. Your rights may also depend on whether you were given the opportunity to attend the auction in person.

New goodsIf you buy new goods at an auction from a trader, you will have the same legal rights as if you bought them in a shop - see under heading Your legal rights when you buy goods.

If you buy new goods at an auction from a private seller, you will have less legal rights. You will have the same rights as those described under the heading Buying goods from a private seller.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support