🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CEX going insolvent rumour - how to verify?

Options

Comments

• PopeSock
    PopeSock Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I believe a lot of CEXes are franchises. So even if the main store in London went down, there'd be no reason for them all to close.

On the other hand, I checked out both the Manchester CEXes and they were really poor value. Most of the stuff was at near retail prices - they had used DSes for ninety quid, for crying out loud.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PopeSock wrote: »
    I believe a lot of CEXes are franchises. So even if the main store in London went down, there'd be no reason for them all to close.

On the other hand, I checked out both the Manchester CEXes and they were really poor value. Most of the stuff was at near retail prices - they had used DSes for ninety quid, for crying out loud.

yes DS games are around the same price as brand new too, infact when games retailers have a sale they are cheaper than CEX.
  • ihatecex
    ihatecex Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thing about CEX going insolvency is NOT a rumor, it is what happing at the moment, HeadOffice can't pay staff any money through bank so every single shop has to use its own money from the till, from the safe to pay for staff, not in full. Staff has to get bit by bit per day until get to full amount said on the pay slip.
    Don't even mention about Manchester Cex, loud of metal music, weirdo serving you behind the tills, left you wait in the queue and they don't care if you are exist or not. The waiting time to sell one item is always around 2-3 hours. I came in a few months ago and arg, can't be arsed as I believe EBay always the best choice. It slows but get most of your money back
  • marisa
    marisa Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    ihatecex wrote: »

You send a cheque out and you cancelled it, that is a criminal offense. Like you committed to pay and you run off.

WE didn't send the cheque, head office did, not the shop assistants, they are different department, head office are also paying us with rubber cheques, so believe me I know how you feel I have lost a lot more money than you.

I know you as a customer, you often ring the store and demand compensation for bus fare over your stolen phones, there are procedures to follow you cannot demand things from a shop assistant, it is not us who have personally screwed you.
    You were just unlucky,to get two stolen n95s, when we bought them in there was sign of theft, the person who sold us those phones will be investigated by the police.

Saving for a year in Japan.
    I need around £10,000. Help me get there! :cool:
  • marisa
    marisa Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever been in these types of shops know that they are frequented by hard drug users,who take the same type of items in repeatedly( And I am not talking about phones).
    No-one is suggesting they falsely accuse anyone,but most people would refuse to buy,and you don't have to give a reason. Most of the stuff they sell is untraceable.A lot has been stolen from shops (putting our shopping bills up*) and will never be reported stolen.

Just because the store says you should buy it,doesn't make it legal.

What if the person says they don't have a driving licence ,or passport?.

If they don't have I.D we send them away.

You try not giving a reason to a chav who demands you give £300 for his broken old phone even though all he has on him is a bus pass, it is near impossible without being verbally or even physically assaulted, but we have to do it. We don't want to take in stolen goods, we are moral, and even if not, it always comes back to bite you so would not be worth the effort, as once the phone is blocked we have to refund all the money and make none anyway.

Everything we buy and therefore sell is traceable to the person who sold it to us, on record we have their name,address,phone number, passport or other I.D ref number etc, etc.

We pass the info onto head office and it is thier responsibility to contact police, prosecute etc.

I am sick of people thinking regular minimum wage till person has all the answers, can do as they please, and is to be held personally responsible for stock that later turns out to be stolen.

We get it in the neck from both sides, the person who insults everything we do saying it is all stolen crap, and the violent abusive scumbag who would sell us their last child for a penny, and gets very heated when you refuse.

The shop exists for people to sell things they no longer want, and buy things they want that they can't afford new. We are not the ones abusing the system to make a profit, we barely make a profit, as if we pay £100 for a phone, and try sell it for £200 it could sit on the shelf for 6months eventually price dropping to £50, times this by a few hundred, and the rent can't be paid and neither can the staff. Look deeper and stop taking everything at the face value it appears to you, when you want the moon on a stick for free.

Saving for a year in Japan.
    I need around £10,000. Help me get there! :cool:
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive visited the Manchester store, couldnt be bothered waiting to buy, the costs were too high, the goods were too shabby, the staff were too busy "buying". Sure theres a myraid of junkies looking for their next feed, selling the junk they have either beaten a kid for, or stolen. Nobody is blaming the tiller for that.

Everybody wants the moon on a stick for free, who wouldnt?, We aren't interested in the reasons why it costs so much for the wrapper. Like most customers do, if its not fit for the purpose, too expensive, or "crap", I go elsewhere for it. regardless of the "rent", "staff wages" or whos to blame for the condition or if they are stolen items.

I wouldnt pay £200 for a used, scratched or stolen mobile phone. And if its gonna take 6 months for the price to drop to £50 (no matter how much it cost the store), I go on Ebay where its available for £30. Customers arent interested in playing the voilin strings to the staff, I dont see the staff coming out to each customer with sympathy for how much wages theyre getting. Rightly so. A customer is there for one thing, to make or save as much pennies as possible with a particular product.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marisa wrote: »
    If they don't have I.D we send them away.

You try not giving a reason to a chav who demands you give £300 for his broken old phone even though all he has on him is a bus pass, it is near impossible without being verbally or even physically assaulted, but we have to do it. We don't want to take in stolen goods, we are moral, and even if not, it always comes back to bite you so would not be worth the effort, as once the phone is blocked we have to refund all the money and make none anyway.

Everything we buy and therefore sell is traceable to the person who sold it to us, on record we have their name,address,phone number, passport or other I.D ref number etc, etc.

We pass the info onto head office and it is thier responsibility to contact police, prosecute etc.

I am sick of people thinking regular minimum wage till person has all the answers, can do as they please, and is to be held personally responsible for stock that later turns out to be stolen.

We get it in the neck from both sides, the person who insults everything we do saying it is all stolen crap, and the violent abusive scumbag who would sell us their last child for a penny, and gets very heated when you refuse.

The shop exists for people to sell things they no longer want, and buy things they want that they can't afford new. We are not the ones abusing the system to make a profit, we barely make a profit, as if we pay £100 for a phone, and try sell it for £200 it could sit on the shelf for 6months eventually price dropping to £50, times this by a few hundred, and the rent can't be paid and neither can the staff. Look deeper and stop taking everything at the face value it appears to you, when you want the moon on a stick for free.

You expect me to believe that if they don't have a passport or driving licence ,you turn them away?
    Surely you ask for another type of I/D.
    For example a birth certificate,don't you?
  • ihatecex
    ihatecex Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    please learn some grammar so I can understand your point, you do have one right?

That's why you are having minimum wage love.. My grammar maybe crap but you understand don't you ? Thanks god.
    knoe it is you, I doubt there is more than one customer with several "blocked" N95s who complains in such a manner.

It is not just one customer in the same situation, google it and see yourself. But if I am in this situation, I wouldn't accept the offer to exchange, I will ask for my money back. Cause in every single Cex stores, there will be a sight said that SELLING AND BLOCKING PHONES is illegal, but think, customer buy a phone, working for a week, and the phone is blocked..aha..I would love to phone Trading Standard up. And your boss, that you are admire will have to say sorry and refund. Shout at him next time you see him and see what he will say..hahaha

By the way, have fun at CEX, hope they pay you soon, and I hope they get away with Trading Standard regarding bounced cheques of several customers. So hope your job is saved. I got so much stuff to enjoy rather than just talk to you about this.
    how you claim to have a better udnerstanding of the prices of stock in the company than an actual employee surpasses me, do you stand behind the counter, print out price changes from the database and apply them once a week??

Do you make the price change ? I don't think you get to that level yet. All done by Commercial Team. I don't stand behind the counter and getting minimum wage. I always sit down in a nice office with a cup of tea. EPOS does price change every morning before you start your shift, and the price change updated after 12am every day by COM team before their shifts end.
    After dealing with such ignorance day in and out, dealing with customers with no concept of procedure, staff from CEX have becomed very skilled in retail services, and can easily find a new job.

So why don't you look for another job then rather than stay at CEX and moan ?
    For the last part i presume you are trying to say iphones cost too much, and no one will buy them, so i will be fired... wow logical. Free mraket, we can charge as we see fit, and belive me some people will pay high prices if they really want something, and it is out of stock elsewhere.

Hahaha..I don't know how long you been working at CEX but don't you realised that CEX will have 0 iPhones if customer don't bring it in and sell them to CEX, and CEX doesn't even have license to sell BRAND NEW stuff to stock iPhones, that the agreement between local Cex stores with councils and Trading Standard. You know why iPhone has so many in store ? Cause CEX doesn't update quick enough so people can just buy an iPhone at 169 and resell at CEX at 240 when it is still hot and they are happy as 70 pounds profit in a flick. Do you think Cex can have some 3G iPhone now ? No. As 3g IPhones can go up to 800 pounds on Ebay for the 16Gb. when CEX only paid 200ish.
  • cavycrazy_2
    cavycrazy_2 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    Well, my game was apparently despatched on Saturday -it's now Thursday - and no game. I sent an email yesterday stating this fact and asking if they had indeed sent it - no reply.
    I'll send another email today but I'm not holding out much hope of any reply or the goods I paid for. :rolleyes:

At this time I would advise people to avoid cex like the plague.
  • bbill
    bbill Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    good to see im not the only staff member who is annoyed with this.

Its been 2weeks now (well very nearly) since we were ment to be payed. So far nothin, some staff have been payed out of cash but only if it's an emergency case e.g. debt and overdrafts needing to be payed. I know several staff who are talking of leaving cex after loosing all faith in the what they once bevelied was a good company.
    Not only are staff worried about whats going on with wages but no-one has properly told any of us WHY. All we know is aparntly the bank "lost emplyees payment details" so we couldnt be payed on time, we have only heared this by word of mouth from other members of staff not off anyone higher then our store manager, no1 from head office or anythin. Surley we are entitled to some form of compensation (ive heared some cex stores have been shuttin there doors and refusin to open till they are payed, how true this may be i don't know)

:confused:
    *a very annoyed employee*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills