🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CEX going insolvent rumour - how to verify?

Options

Comments

• IFA
    IFA Posts: 636 Forumite
    Options
    Great news if it's true! absolute worst cs i've ever experienced and they employ chavs! never answer emails so dont bother
  • marisa
    marisa Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just confirm, as an actual staff member, regarding the stolen phones rumours.

We can never be sure if an item is stolen, and if it is, we cannot falsly accuse customers without evidence, we will not buy in anything that flags up on an imei search as being stolen, infact we will keep it in our posession, delaying the customer while the police come to the store to apprehend them for questioning.
    When we buy something in we take full I.D e.g passport/driving lisence, if the item is later reported stolen we then pass the details of whoever sold it onto the police.

If we just turned them away, they would sell it to someone else, and be untraceable, surely it is better this way?

Also a regular sales assistant has no right to turn items away, head office want everything bought in, if you go against your bosses , you can be fired...

I hope this clears up our reputation a little.
    no I am not from head office, and I have noe been paid either, I just don't want a reputation as "dodgy" and someone who advocates the buying and selling of stolen goods!

Do not blame the store staff for cash shortages, returning issues, bounced cheques, it is out of our control.

Saving for a year in Japan.
    I need around £10,000. Help me get there! :cool:
  • ihatecex
    ihatecex Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    the waiver said the goods are legally mine to sell, and agree to sell and the next week after, Trading Standard came in. lol

Can a DVD with a sign of forced open the red tag and brand new can be classed as a second hand good legally to sell ?

What I said is the truth, believe me or not, if a decent company, they won't let you on the phone for hours and never ever reply your email when they have a thing called CUSTOMER SERVICE. And never stopped a cheque payment. And if there is problem in store, all they do is ask you to phone customer service and wasting your money on your phone bills.
  • ihatecex
    Options
    When we buy something in we take full I.D e.g passport/driving lisence, if the item is later reported stolen we then pass the details of whoever sold it onto the police.

If we just turned them away, they would sell it to someone else, and be untraceable, surely it is better this way?

How do you think if you are a customer, you paid 350 for a Black N95 and a week later, the item is report as stolen. And CEX replaced the item, and it happens the same time. And turn out both two phones are from the same customer ? This did happen. No joke.
    Also a regular sales assistant has no right to turn items away, head office want everything bought in, if you go against your bosses , you can be fired...

Totally right, but think, who benefit from the buy and sales figure at the end of the month ? Your boss. Not you.
    o not blame the store staff for cash shortages, returning issues, bounced cheques, it is out of our control.

You send a cheque out and you cancelled it, that is a criminal offense. Like you committed to pay and you run off.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    marisa wrote: »
    Can I just confirm, as an actual staff member, regarding the stolen phones rumours.

We can never be sure if an item is stolen, and if it is, we cannot falsly accuse customers without evidence, we will not buy in anything that flags up on an imei search as being stolen, infact we will keep it in our posession, delaying the customer while the police come to the store to apprehend them for questioning.

I hope this clears up our reputation a little.
    no I am not from head office, and I have noe been paid either, I just don't want a reputation as "dodgy" and someone who advocates the buying and selling of stolen goods!

Do not blame the store staff for cash shortages, returning issues, bounced cheques, it is out of our control.

Anyone who has ever been in these types of shops know that they are frequented by hard drug users,who take the same type of items in repeatedly( And I am not talking about phones).
    No-one is suggesting they falsely accuse anyone,but most people would refuse to buy,and you don't have to give a reason. Most of the stuff they sell is untraceable.A lot has been stolen from shops (putting our shopping bills up*) and will never be reported stolen.

Just because the store says you should buy it,doesn't make it legal.

What if the person says they don't have a driving licence ,or passport?.
  • parkemitch
    parkemitch Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    Thats what there 'customer services' are always like cavycrazy - So no change there! :D
  • ihatecex
    Options
    I agree with what hollydays say above but
    No-one is suggesting they falsely accuse anyone,but most people would refuse to buy,and you don't have to give a reason. Most of the stuff they sell is untraceable.A lot has been stolen from shops (putting our shopping bills up*) and will never be reported stolen.

If the DVD is stolen from other store, the barcode although may be the same for every single DVD u can see, but barcode contains more information then just the number show at the bottom, IT IS TRACEABLE if there is police involved in this. CID will be able to tell you where it came from and where it go to.

I suggest everyone have problem with CEX, please do not hesistate to say as I know some CEXer are in this forum and words will be spread to Robert, the founder of this company. And he will know what need to be done.
  • Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Options
    I can confirm that there is a rumour about that CEX is finshed due to lack of money and because head office cant give stores more funding to buy stock.

I would advise anyone that intends to have anything to sel, that they wont be able to or wont be able to very soon as CEX is on the way out it appears.

There phone line goes dead after requesting to speak to someone and they dont replyto E-mails
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ihatecex wrote: »
    I agree with what hollydays say above but
    If the DVD is stolen from other store, the barcode although may be the same for every single DVD u can see, but barcode contains more information then just the number show at the bottom, IT IS TRACEABLE if there is police involved in this. CID will be able to tell you where it came from and where it go to."

I am not convinced you can trace an item fom a bar code-I am almost certain you can't.
    However,even if you could identify where it came from,it means nothing as it won't have been reported stolen,ie very rarely could it be proved they had been stolen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport