🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CEX going insolvent rumour - how to verify?

Options

Comments

• omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimgee wrote: »
    Sorry but a few reassurances from anonymous staff on forums (backed up with absolutely no confirmation from the banks) don't mean a lot when faced with this:
    http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewGazetteDocument.aspx?src=search&atdocid=4951667&pg=1&GeoType=London&st=basic&all=cex

Says it was to be heard on Wednesday any news, I forget how long it takes for a Justice to give their decision
  • CGM_2
    CGM_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey, did'nt realise it was HM Revenue & Customs that initiated the winding up order. That is serious problems, this is'nt something to be taken lightly, if HM Rev are intiateing a winding up order then there is serious problems, that spells the end of CEX
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Forgot to add that to my post that it is HM Customs bringing it. They do not do that lightly.
  • BIGWAVEDAVE2008
    Options
    Hello peeps, i too have ordered Something from Cex in good faith last week
    so what do we do now
    I wonder if we will ever see the items we have ordered and why are they still taking peoples money?
  • vaksam
    vaksam Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    bbill wrote: »
    Banking for stores has reacently been increasing to fund cex fest (a staff get togeather sorta thing once a year including beer etc...in a weeks time so if the company was having funding issues does anyone not think they would cancel renting fields tvs beer tents and stages would be outa the question?

Actually yes. Manchester Bridgewater Hall is on my former employer's list of creditors, for the tune of several thousand for rent of the hall alone, for a very swanky managers conference that was held a couple of months before the company folded. Company directors have a great 'head in the sand' approach to this kind of thing.

Glad you got paid in the end, however something to consider - if the company folds and cannot pay you, you can only claim up to £800 for up to 6 weeks work from the government. The rest of any wages owed you will lose. Meant in the best of intentions, from someone who's been there, and then had to worry about how to pay the bills etc! :p

Surely though you can understand why customers are so worried, because it really doesn't look good?
  • bbill
    bbill Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    vaksam wrote: »
    Actually yes. Manchester Bridgewater Hall is on my former employer's list of creditors, for the tune of several thousand for rent of the hall alone, for a very swanky managers conference that was held a couple of months before the company folded. Company directors have a great 'head in the sand' approach to this kind of thing.

Glad you got paid in the end, however something to consider - if the company folds and cannot pay you, you can only claim up to £800 for up to 6 weeks work from the government. The rest of any wages owed you will lose. Meant in the best of intentions, from someone who's been there, and then had to worry about how to pay the bills etc! :p

Surely though you can understand why customers are so worried, because it really doesn't look good?

Oh i know it sounds awful service and i wish i could help those customers out but the online service is seperate from the stores. Good news tho my freind ordered a phone with the online store last week, it came 2days later so cant all be bad.
    I must admit the "winding up petition" is somethin for me to think about what is happening in the future of the company and what to do.
  • xanthe06
    xanthe06 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimgee wrote: »
    The silence from CeX is deafening isn't it?

went to my local CEX today as last week i wanted to trade in games but was told they had gone into administration, but toay was told they are trading as normal as they have been bought out by another company within the last few days,

ive never had a problem with cex , even today i asked how much cash i would get on my wii fit and they will pay me £74 cash even though i paid £69.99 new or £88 trade which i £18 more than what we paid, they are selling them for £110.00
    the only reason why i want rid is because it said i was over weight, not nice being told by a machine your fat, and my 7 year old kicked my bum on it,

well i hope every one gets their goods and money

meg x
    Comp wins
    £25 worth of costume jewels and a plaq for mothers day
    debt £7374:eek::(
    loans/goods hp £5000
    total £10375 :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
  • CexMan
    CexMan Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmm... If the police have been involved in three sting operations in your store then don't you think it's probably because they know they will find thieves and burglars there and not because your measures have been so effective in keeping them away?

The fact of the matter is that if someone walks in with a random load of dvds, cds, games or whatever, it is all but impossible to prove they were stolen. Furthermore, even if you could do this how would the police prove the stolen goods weren't bought in good faith by the seller at, say, a car-boot sale? I was told a while ago by one of your staff that the best time to beat the queues was "in the morning before the smackheads wake up" which leads me to think they have a perfectly good idea where a lot of their stock is coming from.

If you are doing all you can to reduce the amount of stolen goods you sell then fair enough - no one can ask for more. But lets not pretent that many of the people queuing up for hours to sell sell cds for 30p each are not junkies who just nicked them. The police obviously think so.

Each sting was set up BY US we contacted the police not the other way around. And as for not being able to know if dvds and games are stolen is true for ANY second hand shop. So maybe everyone should stop using e-bay or any secondhand shop! i don't get you people. You clearly don't like Cex and thats fine with me i don't like the carphone warehouse so i don't go there! if you don't like us go somewhere else for gods sake!

:T
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just come across this thread but I was intrigued by this (I've highlighted in red and bold the interesting bit) on Companies House:

Company Details

Name & Registered Office:
    CEX (FRANCHISE) LIMITED
    STERLING HOUSE
    FULBOURNE ROAD
    LONDON
    E17 4EE
    Company No. 05583389

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: Active - Proposal to Strike off
    Date of Incorporation: 05/10/2005

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    7499 - Non-trading company
    Accounting Reference Date: 30/06
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/06/2007 (DORMANT)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/04/2009
    Last Return Made Up To: 05/10/2007
    Next Return Due: 02/11/2008
    Last Members List: 05/10/2007
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • cavycrazy_2
    Options
    Just come across this thread but I was intrigued by this (I've highlighted in red and bold the interesting bit) on Companies House:

Company Details

Name & Registered Office:
    CEX (FRANCHISE) LIMITED
    STERLING HOUSE
    FULBOURNE ROAD
    LONDON
    E17 4EE
    Company No. 05583389

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: Active - Proposal to Strike off
    Date of Incorporation: 05/10/2005

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    7499 - Non-trading company
    Accounting Reference Date: 30/06
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 30/06/2007 (DORMANT)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/04/2009
    Last Return Made Up To: 05/10/2007
    Next Return Due: 02/11/2008
    Last Members List: 05/10/2007

So they have applied to have their LTD closed down or that Companies House is proposing to strike them off, is that correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport