🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CEX going insolvent rumour - how to verify?

Options

Comments

• superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cavycrazy wrote: »
    So they have applied to have their LTD closed down or that Companies House is proposing to strike them off, is that correct?

Well it's one of a few listings for CeX. They seem to have quite a few companies. But the fact it is even one of their companies would seem troubling to me. But to be struck off rather than say liquidation (which can be voluntary) does imply it's a proposal by companies house themselves (for that specific company, which is only one of CeX's). I don't think you can strike yourself off.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • CexMan
    CexMan Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    How reassuring.

What about those of us who aren't waiting for cash, but wating for goods paid for and being fobbed off with the excuse that it takes 28 days for RM to deliver? If it's just a mix-up with the banks, why aren't you sending people's goods out that they have paid for? There was no mixup with the accounts when it came to taking the money from my account, I might add.

Yes, I do feel pwnd. And stolen from. I truly hope you aren't a staff member because your attitude towards worried customers (remember them - the folk that pay your wages?) is disgusting.

Hahaha you guys :D is this really that bad for you. Is this really your life? You're not dying none of your family are dying (and if they are you should prob worry about that) my god it's a computer game shop chill out for gods sake you petty people. I have a better day when you lot don't come into my shop lol right i'm going to Cex fest for a beer
    :beer:
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    CexMan wrote: »
    Hahaha you guys :D is this really that bad for you. Is this really your life? You're not dieing none of your family are dieing (and if they are you should prob worry about that) my god it's a computer game shop chill out for gods sake you petty people. I have a better day when you lot don't come into my shop lol right i'm going to Cex fest for a beer

Have to agree with cavy, doesn't say much for your customer service if you can't even adhere to the most simple of forum etiquette (the big blue box on the right). Nor your comprehension when you don't get the very point and purpose of this board.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • cavycrazy_2
    Options
    Hahaha you guys :D is this really that bad for you. Is this really your life? You're not dying none of your family are dying (and if they are you should prob worry about that) my god it's a computer game shop chill out for gods sake you petty people. I have a better day when you lot don't come into my shop lol right i'm going to Cex fest for a beer

Hey, MY job's safe! Remember that when drinking your beer. ;)
  • cavycrazy_2
    Options
    Well it's one of a few listings for CeX. They seem to have quite a few companies. But the fact it is even one of their companies would seem troubling to me. But to be struck off rather than say liquidation (which can be voluntary) does imply it's a proposal by companies house themselves (for that specific company, which is only one of CeX's). I don't think you can strike yourself off.

Thanks. In that case, reading this -

"
    "Under the Consumer Protection (Distance selling) Regulations 2000"

...."The Regulations provide that if fraudulant use is made of a consumer's credit, debit, or store card for distance selling purposes, the consumer is entitled to cancel the payment, and to be reimbursed in full by the card issuer".
    Most credit cards have similar protection already under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (section 83), but the regulations amend the Act to remove the ability of the card issuer to charge the consumer the first £50 of loss arising from fraudulant use in connection with a distance contract."

I think I'll be in touch with my bank tomorrow to get the payment reversed.
  • mdbarber
    mdbarber Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    cavycrazy wrote: »
    A reply on the cex forum says I have to wait 28 days before I can complain about my game being missing. It was supposedly posted on Saturday, it is now Friday - no game.

In light of this, I am worried I won't get my game.
    Company Name C.E.X. LIMITED Company Address STERLING HOUSE, FULBOURNE ROAD, LONDON, E17 4EE, E17 4EE Company Reg No. 03194152 info.gifCompany Status Winding Up Petition

Is 28 days reasonable? I don't think so. I've therefore told them I want either my game or a refund by Tuesday 5th August.

Also, as I paid by Visa debit, I'm pretty much screwed for going that route for a refund, am I correct?

Woo what goes around eh, looks like someone is having trouble with terms and conditions again?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=10564777&postcount=58
    click here to achieve nothing!
  • cavycrazy_2
    cavycrazy_2 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    mdbarber wrote: »
    Woo what goes around eh, looks like someone is having trouble with terms and conditions again?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=10564777&postcount=58

What terms and conditions am I having trouble with?

Nowhere in the ts and cs of CEX does it say "BTW, we are about go go bankrupt - if this is acceptable to you, please continue.". If you see that in CEX's terms and conditions, would you be so kind as to point that out to me?

How much are you down? I'm down £12. As the company evidently knew they were about to be declared bankrupt, the normal Visa debit regulations don't apply. I am entitled to a full refund on the grounds that the company took my money fraudulently.

Now, what was your point?
  • jimgee
    jimgee Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Each sting was set up BY US we contacted the police not the other way around. And as for not being able to know if dvds and games are stolen is true for ANY second hand shop. So maybe everyone should stop using e-bay or any secondhand shop! i don't get you people. You clearly don't like Cex and thats fine with me i don't like the carphone warehouse so i don't go there! if you don't like us go somewhere else for gods sake!

:T
    You've completely missed the point of what I'm saying. The point is not whether you or the police initiated the stings. What matters is that CeX and all second hand shops are a hot stop for junkie thieves!

I don't advocate closing down car boot sales and ebay or indeed CeX simply because stolen good end up there. In fact I specifically said (but you ignored) "If you are doing all you can to reduce the amount of stolen goods you sell then fair enough - no one can ask for more"!

All I'm saying is that you look stupid pretending that your measures prevent this because in reality secondhand stolen goods are all but untraceable. You know it, I know it, we all know it so quit the charade and accept it as a fact of the trade you're in.

As far as the completely unrelated issue of the company's cash flow, CS and trading status goes I don't think the CeX staff on this forum have covered themselves in glory there either.

There have been emails and phone calls ignored, wages being late paid, orders not sent and winding up petitions issued. There has been silence from the company and the usual explanations put forward here by employees have been less than reassuring. More importantly they have been totally uncorroborated by any evidence from the banks. If you have indeed change banks for legitimate reasons or have indeed been the victim of a huge "clerical error" then this is easily proved with the help of the banks (who would have a vested interest in providing it).

So forgive me if I'm a bit bored of witless, anonymous CeX employees coming and going on these forums to tell us to relax or chill out or how they are finding the whole thing very funny! That simply doesn't cut the mustard anymore...
  • CexMan
    CexMan Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    How much are you down? I'm down £12. As the company evidently knew they were about to be declared bankrupt, the normal Visa debit regulations don't apply. I am entitled to a full refund on the grounds that the company took my money fraudulently.

Where has this bankrup thing come from lol our shop has taken 37k since sunday
  • jimgee
    jimgee Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yeah, and what the hell does "PNWD :rotfl:" mean?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport