Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know the opening hours of the 0800 retentions number by any chance? :)

it might be 9 till 8 or ten weekdays
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • mouthscradle
    mouthscradle Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow for my parents I think.

It's ridiculous, they're supposed to have XL BB but I've ran speed tests at various times over the last few days. Midday they've had a maximum of 15Mb but as soon as evening arrives the speeds are ranging from 1 to 1.5 Mb. They should not be getting throttled whatsoever, they download nothing at all. All they do is browse websites.

EDIT - Wow, just hit a new low... 0.8Mb dl speed now
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow for my parents I think.

It's ridiculous, they're supposed to have XL BB but I've ran speed tests at various times over the last few days. Midday they've had a maximum of 15Mb but as soon as evening arrives the speeds are ranging from 1 to 1.5 Mb. They should not be getting throttled whatsoever, they download nothing at all. All they do is browse websites.

EDIT - Wow, just hit a new low... 0.8Mb dl speed now

Are they doing proper speed-tests and not using the unreliable speed-test sites?

Downloading 3 or 4 files simultaneously from a known reliable site. Such as: http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/ and adding the total speed together.

Are they using a router? Many can't support 20Mbit throughput even though they have 100Mbit ports, wireless ain't going to play ball. Is their modem one that supports the 20Mbit service?
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes you might wnat to check the modem is compatible with the 20mb connection
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Blue264
    Blue264 Posts: 1,570 Forumite
    Options
    C_Ronaldo wrote: »
    it might be 9 till 8 or ten weekdays
    I think it's 9 til 8. I missed it by a few minutes on wednesday night.
    I've had enough of them and I'm leaving them after 6 years.
  • sherbie28
    sherbie28 Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    I have been with Virgin Media (NTL previously) for years, I've just been on their site to find out about a wireless router and noticed that the L package full price is £17 (£16 is you go paperless). Now I've been paying £25 for about 3 years if not more for this package. I've just spoken to Virgin Media and was told that the price has only just changed this month but I don't know if I am being fobbed off and if they have been overcharging me. Does anyone just have the L Broadband and if so how much have you been paying? Thanks
  • noodlebutty
    noodlebutty Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for saving us money, just rang retentions and got our monthly deal - phone and BB, reduced from £20 to £10 pm.
    “We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” :D
  • talulahbeige_2
    Options
    In the hope that someone can help.

We took out a VM package back in April this year, we did in online and opted for a the 3 for £30 (phone line, BB & L TV),
    When this was processed they actioned it as phone line, BB XL TV & A free wireless router, when we questioned this they said it was a better deal (it was) so we accepted it. They advised it was a 12mth deal on 2 seperate occasions but nobody would send out written conformation of the deal.

In my last bill they had charged us £22 for XL TV when it should have been £10ish. We rang and questioned this and were told it was a 3mth deal! So now they have reduced the TV to L and the advisor wouldn't/couldnt do anymore.

Obviously as we have only been with them 3 mths we cant go down the threaten to leave route, so does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do or a number to speak to (Customer relations/complaints) rather than just ringing 150 and getting someone who can't help.
  • Zapp_from_Planet_Zogg
    Options
    Talulah

If you agreed to a defined level of service at a fixed price for a fixed period, you should get it. If not, Virgin are in breach of contract.

If the contract is broken by either party (you or VM), then you are no longer bound by its terms.... In English - if they won't give you what they ageed to you can leave immediately with no penalty.

Call cancellations up - politely remind them of the facts and that they are in breach of contract. If they start with the old 'but you don't have it in writing that the deal was for 12 months', then the Misrepresentation Act is your friend.

They may not let you go very easily but should cave in and honour the pricing agreement. If they offer to do neither, write to them to provide notice of cancellation and the reason why. Quote their terms, in particular, clause J4.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html

Good luck
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    I think we definitely need to get our Virgin Media costs down. I live in a houseshare where there are 4 of us and we barely use the landline but we need one for the house alarm etc. We pay about £16-£19 each month as our Virgin Media bills come to just under £80 each month.
    Our telephone line rental is £11 per month, voicemail is £1.75, itemised billing is £1, TV size XL is £22, Sky Sports package is £18 and the broadband XL is £37 but we get a discount of £19.

How much do others pay for what we have? If we didn't need to have the phone line then we would definitely get rid of it as we spend less than £5 on calls a month with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure