Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    creddish wrote: »
    I noticed my download speed has increased to 4Mb from 2Mb about a week ago. I have just checked my speed again using the "thinkbroadband" speed test here and it is indicating 3.8Mb. I have assumed from this that I have been automatically upgraded to 4Mb from 2Mb on my "M" service.

However, I have just had a look at the "virginmedia.discussion.broadband" newsgroup and there is an "official" statement in there dated Feb 2008 saying "There's no current plans to make any changes to the service for the M broadband tier". So I'm unsure what the true position is now. I'll post more recent info if I find some.

What speed are you getting?

Colin

2Mb here. There's lots of speculation on various forums but the general consensus seems to be that Size M will stay at 2Mb at least until the upgrades for L and XL customers are completed and quite possibly longer
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1.9 here. I'm happy with that:j :j
  • creddish
    creddish Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    2Mb here. There's lots of speculation on various forums but the general consensus seems to be that Size M will stay at 2Mb at least until the upgrades for L and XL customers are completed and quite possibly longer
    Yes, I had a longer browse in the Virgin newsgroups after previous post and I agree with your conclusion. So, I'm baffled why I am now getting 4Mb. I was on the Size L package originally paying £24.99 per month for that (it originally was 0.5Mb then upgraded without increased cost in steps of 1Mb, 2Mb and eventually 4Mb). I managed to negotiate this down to £10 per month on a 6 month at a time basis until about a year ago but they would not then agree less than £18. But they did offer 2Mb for £10, so I took that.

I'll just have to keep my head down and see if the 4Mb continues, although I'll be content with 2Mb if needs be.

Colin
  • PeteW
    PeteW Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm about to move to a cabled area and as I don't use the landline much I'm thinking about getting Virgin broadband. Is there any room to haggle as a new customer or am I just going to get what's on their website?
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Doubt if they'll drop below those prices but if you go through Quidco you should get £100 cashback
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "Should" being the important word here. I don't do Quidco anymore, only topcasback and greasy palm.
  • pepsicola_2
    pepsicola_2 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Night-owl wrote: »
    Hi

I have been a Virgin Media customer for the past 7 years, formally known as Telewest Broadband.
    I have had three 12 month contracts, one when I first was installed, the second when I had V+ installed and the last one for the VIP package.
    After my contract was up, I could not renew it without disconnecting and reconnecting my services which Im unable to do as I need my phone line active 24 hours aday.
    My bill has increased as I have been a long standing customer and had the top package from the start, so by me downgrading I do not save as if you were taking up an offer on a upgraded package.
    I was given alot of services in the first two years of being a Telewest customer, all 3 services completely free at no charge apart from calls.
    I have recently down graded from VIP to 3XL, I lost my broadband discount (free Internet for 12 months £34.00 amonth credit) as a result.
    I then felt that that package was to dear and contacted customer service who said they couldnt do anymore to lower my bill, I spoke to disconnections with a view to either down grade to bog standard services or get a better offer, I did, I have been given the following all for £50 a month:

V+ FREE - For long as I remain a customer
    Telephone Talk Unlimited
    TV XL
    Second set top box - £10 Charge waived for long as a customer
    20MB Broadband

I have to say, £50 is still alot but without entering another contract I doubt I could get it much lower and I dont want to enter a new 12 months contract as I may be moving.

Hope this explains it.
    VIP package is great BUT dont get it if you wont watch the movies, it makes it very dear thats why I got rid of it as there are to many repaet movies on there.

thanks for that what i dont understand is why you were paying 110 when the vip package is 85 is that for phone calls? its a lot of phone calls if it is are they expensive?

i really dont need 20mb broadband as i don't see it making much difference for email and internet use, think i might consider someone else.
  • Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Options
    pepsicola wrote: »
    thanks for that what i dont understand is why you were paying 110 when the vip package is 85 is that for phone calls? its a lot of phone calls if it is are they expensive?

i really dont need 20mb broadband as i don't see it making much difference for email and internet use, think i might consider someone else.

It was for call add ons, caller display, etc.
    Be warned however I have had a letter yesterday in the post from Virgin Media - they have RENEWED MY CONTRACT and never told me on the phone, I have to sign it to carry on getting the discount I am on services, this means once I sign I have to remain with them for 12 months minimum again and cant downgrade only upgrade:eek: :eek: :eek:
    I didnt want to start another contract - I have been out of contract for over a year now.
    Calls are okay-ish, short calls then a few ££ but get Talk Mobile if you are going to ring alot of mobiles - I dont have it but you save alot.

:D
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
  • Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Options
    Talk Unlimited
    Broadband 20MB Highspeed
    V+ Box - FREE indefinately
    Second set-top box FREE indefinately
    TV XL
    Caller Display/ Divert / Call awaiting

£60 amonth indefinately
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
  • pepsicola_2
    pepsicola_2 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Night-owl wrote: »
    Talk Unlimited
    Broadband 20MB Highspeed
    V+ Box - FREE indefinately
    Second set-top box FREE indefinately
    TV XL
    Caller Display/ Divert / Call awaiting

£60 amonth indefinately

now you are really confusing me, is it £50 or £60 a month? sorry i don't know how to quote again but you already said the following?

I did, I have been given the following all for £50 a month:

V+ FREE - For long as I remain a customer
    Telephone Talk Unlimited
    TV XL
    Second set top box - £10 Charge waived for long as a customer
    20MB Broadband

I have to say, £50 is still alot but without entering another contract I doubt I could get it much lower and I dont want to enter a new 12 months contract as I may be moving.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback