We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low Carb Diet (atkins)

Options

Comments

• FabuLass
    FabuLass Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm a novice so maybe check with one of the others but I like to chuck some mushies and cream in a pan and have that....yummy!
    You'll make my day if I know I've been helpful to you in some small way,
    so please press my :T thanks :Tbutton x
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FeeFeeDee wrote: »
    Went to my local Holland and Barratts today and bought the most delicious sugar free 42g Belgian milk chocolate.
    Of course it has added sweeteners.....the ingredient list per 100g is:- carbs 43.5g of which sugars 8.5g. polyols 34.3g .
    Is this ok to eat....

No. Put the chocolate down! :p
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • newish2this
    newish2this Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shykins wrote: »
    well had my first high fat day today,, is hard trying to up the fat without upping the protein massively, watch this space !!
    x
    Hi Shykins, I would be very interested to know what you are eating on this high fat thing;)
    Its my fifth day of no carbs, high protein and will be weighing tomorrow. I hope I have lost:rolleyes:
    If you think nobody cares whether you're alive or dead, try missing a couple of mortgage payments.:whistle:

My way is Atkins;)
  • FabuLass
    Options
    No. Put the chocolate down! :p

Awwwwwww noooooooooooooooooooo
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    I know its been posted about the pepperamis but they're still BOGOF as i was there today so load up your cupboards, i have, got ten packets, they are a fab snack eh:j

By the way i had heartburn about an hour after eating the carbs, and i havent had any since starting Atkins!!
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    angel it sounds like a good deal especiallyt as u dont have to make a commitment... mine is more of a health club attached to a hotel hence the other stuff

feefee some people find sweeteners stall them and be warned polyols do weird things to yr stomach... better with 85% choc

mazzers sorry to hear about the blip but today is another day, thats the problem with alcohol it lowers yr resistance

oh before i forget holland &barret have a huge tub of whey protein for £12.49 (i think) check its the sugar free one tho, couldnt see on the advert

will do a seperate post about high fat etc so its easier to read
    x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    FeeFeeDee wrote: »
    Went to my local Holland and Barratts today and bought the most delicious sugar free 42g Belgian milk chocolate.
    Of course it has added sweeteners.....the ingredient list per 100g is:- carbs 43.5g of which sugars 8.5g. polyols 34.3g .
    Is this ok to eat....you'll notice I already said it was delicious....but I won't have any more til someone gives it the green light.....honest!

I believe this will upset your tummy if you have too much :) It's not definitive about polyols, but your bar says 43.5% carbs which is a bit high really. I wouldn't touch it and I love choc. Stick to 85% cocoa, it's good and hits the spot.
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    daisy i am in the same place as u everyone says no u are same size but i KNOW i am 7lbs heavier and its bugging me hence me trying to shake things up with high fat for a couple weeks

The thinking behind it is that too much protein also affects blood sugar. Fat is the only food that won't cause the body to gain, if you eat too much of it, the body gets rid of it. anyways for my height 5.6" the suggested ratios are,(calories dont count of course and will go quite high cos of the fat)
    Protein 64 grams
    Fat 224 grams
    Carbs 32 grams

its really hard trying to get yr fat that high without increasing your protein, yesterday i only managed 130g fat but had 75g protein,, my friend suggests focusing your protein on one meal or two meals: eggs at one and a portion of meat at the other. you really need to use fitday as even broccoli has some protein.. so you have to get clever with how you include it in your diet - not just cooking with it but using it as an ingredient - things like mashing your veggies with lots of butter etc.

hope thats of some help. i can post my menu if u still want it but dont want to bore everyone or i can pm my fitday log to u

x
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • newish2this
    newish2this Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Shykins, that sunds really complicated and hard:eek:

Well I have stuck to high protein and nil (virtually) carbs for 5 days and have weighed today!!!!..............................

YAY!!!! I lost 2lb:j :j

Still have 4lb to lose as I'd put on another lb last week after the chinese:rolleyes: but at least its gone down:j :j :j

How long do you think it is safe to stick to this form of eating (I have cheated this morning as I had fried mushrooms with my breakfast;) ).

Have a great day everyone!!!!!:D
    If you think nobody cares whether you're alive or dead, try missing a couple of mortgage payments.:whistle:

My way is Atkins;)
  • FabuLass
    Options
    shykins wrote: »

feefee some people find sweeteners stall them and be warned polyols do weird things to yr stomach... better with 85% choc

Originally posted by Mercy

I believe this will upset your tummy if you have too much :) It's not definitive about polyols, but your bar says 43.5% carbs which is a bit high really. I wouldn't touch it and I love choc. Stick to 85% cocoa, it's good and hits the spot.

Thanks all for the advice....It did actually upset my tummy the first day I tried it, I had 3 squares and 3 Sula sugar free sweets (are they a no no too?) so I just told myself all I could have was one square after my tea as a treat. Anyway, it's in the bin now!:A

I'd like to try the 85% cocoa you've mentioned....what make is it? Thanks guys x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills