🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    found an interesting site which tells you how to switch suppliers and by supplying your postcode all the available suppliers in your areas BUT although I haven't checked them yet it gave me 7 suppliers and I very much doubt that there are 7 suppliers in rural Lincolnshire in fact 1 of the phone numbers was Manchester?? But none the less worth using the site as 3 at least I know supply me. The site is uklpg dot org / change supplier dot php For those living in Lincolnshire discount gas supplies seem to be cheaper than flogas and Calour.....significantly cheaper. JB
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    I keep reading about surcharges what are they? I pay for my gas + VAT Tank rental + Vat. I don't recal seeing anything about surcharges? Thanks JB
  • x-x_2
    x-x_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I was surprised to get a quote of 33p/l and £5/month tank rental from Shell which is a lot less than my current supplier and they have been extremely pleasant to deal with.
    Although I have signed a 2 year agreement my 1st years supply will only cost me 33p/l and hopefully they won't make ridiculous price increases in the 2nd year as if they do they will lose my business at the end of 2 years.
  • meagan
    meagan Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Steve17 wrote: »
    Good for you Snafu, I too have had enough of Calor.
    I have been with them for 9 years and their prices are nothing but a rip off and when you try to get it reduced its always been pay the price or go without.
    This time last year it was 37.2p per litre then rocketed to 44.25 from October blaming high oil price.
    The oil price then started to drop to a 3 year low but Calor refused to lower their price.
    However as the April 13 new rules got closer they dropped their price to 38.9 no where near enough but they wouldn't budge.
    But at last I have found a supplier who will deliver to my area (Lincolnshire/ Notts border) a family business from Doncaster, Discount gas supplies at 34p and the same tank rental £65 per year.
    So I filled in the switch form, 2 days later I got a phone call at 8.30 am from a very polite man from Calor informing me that they are about to reduce the price for my area.
    There are 118 houses here all on lpg and another estate about 2 miles away and now they have competition.
    He didn't say how much the reduction is going to be and I told him I wasn't interested and that I am switching no matter what.
    I hope that Calor and Flogas are hit hard they have had it too good for too long.
    I have just read your message from the summer.I live on the border of lincs and notts about 40 mls from doncaster and wondered if I could have supplers name and tele no. Thanks Ann
  • Steve17
    Steve17 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Ann
    I think that we could be neighbours, My supplier is Discount Gas supplies Ltd Tel 01302 328100 you need to ask for Jan very polite first name basis as if she's known you for years.
    However be aware they don't do a budget plan. Once I signed the contract I had to pay £60 +vat for the years tank rental then pay for gas within 10 days of delivery.
    The currant price as far as I am aware is 36p per litre, I don't know what Calors price is now, also Shell Gas have customers on the estate so I will have to find out both there prices near to when I want my next fill as Discount say they won't be beaten on price ( we will see).
    All of you in LPG land WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO FLOGAS, all the horror stories have gone!!!!!
  • meagan
    meagan Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Steve ,thanks for the information.I have just had a delivery from Calor at 42p but will be contating Discount Gas in future.It's about time there was some real competition the big co.they still have it all their way.There seems to be no one checking the price of LPG or Oil. Ann
  • JohnWorc
    Options
    Worcestershire: Bulk supply. 5 Dec. 34.5p / Litre. LPG home heating. Don't accept on face value any price rise. Telephone and discuss. Usually pays off! 3.9 p rise reduced to 0.5p rise.
  • Steve17
    Steve17 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All
    I switched from Calor to Discount gas supplies in August and not everything is going how I would expect.
    The problem is with the vat charge on the tank rental. I was charged 15%, Calor only ever charged 5%.
    I went to custom and excise website and found it should be at the reduced rate 5%. Contacted Jan at discount and was told vat wold be waived. Over the weeks I have been getting numerous bills for the vat at 15% until eventually I got a letter of credit and guarantee this would not occure again.
    However today I got a threatning demand for £9 (15%) vat tank rental, again phoned discount and went bersirk to a Sue this time, who appologised and basically the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing and I won't be bothered with this again but was told that the tank rental is subject to standard rate vat.
    I have just got off the phone to customs and excise and tank rentals for bulk storage of lpg is subject to lower rate as per notice 701/19 section 2.2 and 4.8.
    So if anyone is being charged more than 5% for tank rental complain and get refund.
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    edited 18 December 2009 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Very happy we've changed from Flogas to Countrywide at 32p per litre + vat .

On our first delivery we made a saving of £227 !!:j

Thank you Countrywide :j:j :j

P.S. Flogas did offer to match the 32p per litre but we decided to leave anyway. Soon after leaving we received a letter from them, I assume one dept did not speak to another........the letter said that they were putting up the price from 54p pl + vat to 56p pl + vat. Flogas just never cease to amaze me !
  • Sue_Tilley
    Options
    :TI have received a letter from Flo Gas offering me a new agreement of 39p er litre. Standing charge and maintenance (not that they do any) is quoted at 11.71. per day they have offered to give me £50 of free gas
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure