🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 August 2009 at 4:38PM
    Options
    We're out in the sticks in Kent + have had Calor (no mains gas here) since moving in about 19 years ago.Had a new condensing boiler fitted hoping to save money 2 years ago but quoted "savings" don't seem to work with LPG (Energy saving sites need to realise this) Also have gas hob so monthly DD is £195.Then there's the electricity.....
    Last delivery 1021 ltrs 10/03/09 cost 49.98 per ltr +16.90 daily standing charge. Of course they put the price down 1/04/09!
    As with earlier person the safety conditions make it hard to change as they're much more restrictive now.Also no better alternatives available here as most people on oil.
    So we've signed up with Calor for 2yrs (£100 "reward" wow) cos don't fancy knocking down our fence or moving tank to the middle of our small garden!!
    BUT WE'VE ALSO spent zillions of our savings (OAPs) on a LOG BURNER and are praying this will save loads this winter. We can only wait and see.
  • heather8
    Options
    I've been on the phone this morning after switching my electric and sorting that out.

I live in W Yorks prices quoted as follows:

Flo Gas (who currently have my business) 39p per litre no surcharges apparently they've now been dropped. News to me!

Northern Gas supplies - 38p plus 80.00 per year for the tank no surcharges.

Calor - 37.4p plus 15.00 per quarter for the tank and they five 100.00 cash back.

Shell 37p for first 6 months retnal 60.00 per year no surcharge

BDS fuels - 36p plus if if pay within 5 days of delivery they offer a 2.5p discount. Downside is they don't do a monthly plan like other companies. Rental 50.00 per year. This is a little company that covers lancs and Yorks and scotland.

Going to try some more. But likes I will be going with BDS. They do have a website if anyone is interested.

I'm feed up too with being ripped off. Anyone got any prices from BP? They were good last time I phoned around, but that was in the days when you had to pay for a new tank.
  • Lconner
    Options
    Hi,

My three bedroom house is suppplied by LPG Home Heat. They organised our switch from Calor and dealt with the swtich supplier notice form on our behalf. We now have a cheaper and more reliable service, and not had to change our tank. I know it can be a real headache but this was pretty painless.
  • cairndog
    Options
    Sounds like you made a good switch Lconnor. Well done, but as they're up in Blackpool we can't use them down here in Kent!! Calor seem to have it sewn up around here.
    Can anybody posting LPG info say where they are please ?
    Thanks
  • mcgillm
    Options
    Hi Guys - new to LPG having just moved house this weekend. Live between York and Harrogate, any recommendations - I'm presuming as I'm a new occupant I'm out of contract as I haven't signed anything, but the as the previous owner was with Flogas I'll have to transfer from them if I choose another provider?

Thanks for any pointers!
  • awclymm
    Options
    Are the prices quoted on this forum inclusive or exclusive of VAT?
  • budgie123_2
    Options
    Have received an end of contract notification today from Flogas. They are offering:

35p a litre variable
    18.9p per day standing charge for tank etc
    £50 of free gas.
    All on a 2 year contract.

Am in south west Scotland. Will go back to them, try to better it and then shop around and report back with findings.

Wish me luck :-)
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2009 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Have changed from Flogas to 32ppl + £50+vat per year tank rental with Countrywide

Very happy, change over very easy.:j

In Monmouthshire
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2009 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Nearly caught myself out on this one!

Our current contract was signed 2 just over 2 years ago and was for a minimum period of 3 years, but of course, with the new competition commission rulings, no supplier can enforce an exclusivity clause in the contract for more than 2 years. When we reached the end of our 2 year period with Calor early in September, they sent us their usual "prices have gone up, but sign up to our new contract at this much higher rate, lock yourselves in for a further 2 years and we'll bung you a hundred quid as a thank you" offer. The small print on this new contract was also worse than on our existing one too (our current contract limited price rises to 2.5ppl in any 6 month period - the new one was limited to 3.5ppl in any 6 month period), so I started the usual e-mail round for alternatives.

Having got a number of responses from alternative suppliers, nothing leapt out at me as particularly special, but I was about to sign a contract with a new supplier that seemed a bit better than Calor were offering (at a rate slightly more than I was currently paying, but cheaper than the new contract price offered by Calor, but with some service disadvantages) when I realised that although Calor wanted me to sign a new contract (for obvious reasons - to increase the price and lock me in for a further 2 years), I actually didn't need to sign anything. I checked on the Competition Commission website and their FAQs on their LPG enquiry clearly state that although no supplier can enforce an exclusivity clause beyond 2 years, that doesn't in any way affect the validity of the rest of the contract, including any price agreements, caps on price rises etc etc.

I wrote to Calor and explained that we were quite happy with our existing contract, thank you very much, so they put up their price by just 2.5ppl (rather than the nearly 6ppl they wanted to) and they can only put it up by another 2.5ppl in another 6 months time. Furthermore, as we have now been with them in excess of 2 years, we have the advantage that we are on a (actually pretty good) supply contract, but we are free to move if and when we want, subject to normal notice periods, but without any penalties!

RESULT :j
  • heather8
    heather8 Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mcgillm wrote: »
    Hi Guys - new to LPG having just moved house this weekend. Live between York and Harrogate, any recommendations - I'm presuming as I'm a new occupant I'm out of contract as I haven't signed anything, but the as the previous owner was with Flogas I'll have to transfer from them if I choose another provider?

Thanks for any pointers!

Try BDS fuels. See my post above, they should cover your area.

Update on my previous post. I made the switch to BDS fuels. So far I have had excellent service. They came out to put a new part on the tank, which BG needed doing for our boiler. The tank has been filled, and I made payment within 5 days, so paid the reduced rate.

I have set up a direct debit to my savings account for the old amount I use to pay to Flo Gas. This is the only downside to using a small company. I now owe my savings for the gas, but I should be straight by xams. By the end of the summer I am hoping to have saved over 100.00, and also be in front with my monthly saving plan, ready for the next winter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure