Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Oct 03, 5:14 PM
    • 8,108Posts
    • 42,239Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Car Insurance Tips & Tricks
    • 4th Oct 03, 5:14 PM
    Car Insurance Tips & Tricks 4th Oct 03 at 5:14 PM
    My article on Car insurance - on how to cut the cost in four steps includes a list of hints and tips as well as the main system. If you have any additional tips or tricks (legal) for reducing car insurance, please write your information and experiences here, by clicking reply

Read the full Cheap Car Insurance guide
    Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 18-01-2013 at 5:49 PM.
Page 9
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 7th Jun 15, 8:09 PM
    • 20,166 Posts
    • 12,437 Thanks
    dacouch
    Incidently Insurers who offer cover through brokers and direct tend to offer wider cover through their broker products rather than the direct arms due to the reasons noted in the above post
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jun 15, 11:59 AM
    • 40,194 Posts
    • 45,934 Thanks
    G_M
    http://defaqto.com/star-ratings/car-insurance

Gives details of cover, but bear in mind it can be easy for an insurer to achieve a high rating by tweeking the parts of the policy cover Defaqto rate.
    Originally posted by dacouch
    defaqto only seems to show very limited details of cover (around 5). You still need to plough through each policy document in turn to really compare.

And I don't really understand what the defaqto star ratings are based on since a) the policy details they compare are so limited and b) often it's an optional add-on

I've seen 5* defaqto policies with less cover than a 1*. How does that work? Unless they are looking at customer service too, which you say they don't.

Ah well - you want research done do it yourself!
    • aidrenegade
    • By aidrenegade 19th Jun 15, 9:36 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    aidrenegade
    Make sure you don't have an open claim!
    Make sure there is not an old claim left open even if you were not at fault. I was suprised to find Axa authorised a repair on my old vectra last October for £895 on a car with a declaired value of just £450. I thought this was all sorted last October. I only realised it was still open ( and the cost) when I got my proof of no claims (14 years) and esure put an extra £35 on the value of quote, meaning I might as well have stayed with Axa.

This proved that your present insurance company will up your premium even though it's their job to recover costs when you were not at fault for the accident.

In short, make sure a 'not your fault' claim is closed before your insurance renewal comes around. Also as you have to declair any accidents in the last 3 years I think my quotes will be higher even though I wasn't at fault which seems like another rip off.
    Aid Renegade
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 19th Jun 15, 10:51 AM
    • 32,148 Posts
    • 16,232 Thanks
    Quentin

....In short, make sure a 'not your fault' claim is closed before your insurance renewal comes around. Also as you have to declair any accidents in the last 3 years I think my quotes will be higher even though I wasn't at fault which seems like another rip off.
    Originally posted by aidrenegade
    This is one of the reasons why you should consider only claiming off your own insurer when you are in any way to blame.

You cannot "make sure" any claim is closed off prior to renewal, as your insurer will only close the claim (and more importantly restore any temporarily lost NCD) when they have been fully recompensed.

(And check how long a history you are asked to give - the "norm" is 5 years rather than 3, but the range is 3/5 years dependent on which insurer you deal with)
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 17th Aug 15, 2:33 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 3,479 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Aside from the obvious spam, your website breaches all kinds regulatory requirements. Data Protection for one.

Also anyone handing over payment to a company that lists its address as a PO Box needs their head feeling.

No company registration details, no VAT number (although you do add VAT to your charge), no privacy policy etc etc etc.

The site isn't even secure!

Bit of a joke really.

Don't touch this with a barge pole people
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • ShawnSrour
    • By ShawnSrour 24th Dec 16, 6:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ShawnSrour
    Designate Whomever You Want as the Beneficiary.
    While many people designate family or friends as beneficiaries, you do have the option of naming a charity or other non-profit organization as your beneficiary. As a final act of kindness on your part, you can help further research that leads to healthcare breakthroughs, provides for the less fortunate, or makes the world a better place.

The bottom line is that everyone needs life insurance. Talk with an insurance agent today and explore the possibilities. Once a plan is in place, you’ll enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing there will always be cash in-hand to help with whatever happens after you pass on.
    • arkwrightinsurance
    • By arkwrightinsurance 20th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    arkwrightinsurance
    Thanks for tips for Insurance I will join insurance before all these from Arkwright car insurance
    • Simonne15
    • By Simonne15 4th Apr 17, 11:37 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Simonne15
    I used Go Compare because our previous police via RAC hadn't the option of adding cover for driving in the EU - even though we had done that previously. RAC do deals which may vary and be mire limiting than the actual provider e.g.Co-op. Via Go Compare we found an equivalent policy with the option to add trips in EU up to 180days at half the price that RAC quoted on renewal for shorter duration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,891Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin