🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

[TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

Options

Comments

• dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    MaryO wrote: »

We make every effort to be clear and straightforward in our marketing.

If you made ANY EFFORT to be clear and straightforward, then you would not have 100s of people who feel they have been FRAUDULENTLY signed up to your useless service would you.

Why do you bother to come here and post your bu llshit, its about as helpful and honest as your signup process.

Why cant you tell the truth and state that if you had an honest and transparent signup policy you would have about ZERO customers, because your whole strategy involves hoodwinking people into paying £10 that you hope either A, never notice or B cant be bothered to cancel.
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    Options
    I just noticed today that this lot have turned up on Ryanair. So, another one to watch out for.
  • JohnG
    JohnG Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just adding another victim to the list of ShoppersDiscount scam, my father-in-law! He had absolutely no idea that he had signed up to their so called membership and it wasnt until my wife noticed the strange transaction/s on his cc statement one day that it was picked up.
    He recalled that he clicked on something about receiving a 10% discount when booking tickets through Monarch at the beginning of this year but that was it.
    We've just now cancelled the 'membership' by phoning their 0808 number and then waited to speak to a customer service rep to get a refund. She said they would refund 3 months payments and then send a claim form via email for the remainder. She stressed that their offer was very clear and that there was an opportunity to quit before saying yes to it, plus a number of emails were supposedly sent out etc etc.
    We said it was strange then that so many have been caught out if it's as clear as that.
    My Father-in-law is just so thankful it's been cancelled, his got enough on his plate looking after his wife who is in the early stages of alzheimers. These people need to be stopped! :mad:
  • jamie75
    jamie75 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd like to thank Mary for posting in this thread to give us information about the shopper discount and rewards programme.

MaryO wrote: »
    To join the programme, a consumer enters his / her name, home and email addresses, credit or debit card details and a personalised password.
    marleyboy wrote: »
    the solution is very very simple, allow customers the opportunity of inputting their OWN bank details "MANUALLY" from each site you promote your company on,

I have a few questions for Mary, is it the case, and has it always been the case, that a consumer enters their own card details on the shoppers discount and rewards website to sign up to the programme?

I ask this as it seems many people in this thread did not know they signed up to the programme or visit your site in order to sign up.

I looked on the SD&R site to see what offers are available but I think you have to be a member to see the offers?
    I could only see the £5 cash back offer, which for £10 a month doesn't seem a great offer, so there has to be more offers on display which a potential consumer can see, then make an informed judgement to join up and use the programme.

I know some big named sites offer vouchers/discounts if you sign up to the SD&R programme (due to the people in this thread, which can't be the best advert for SD&R if I'm honest, but it gave me more information about who might offer discounts with the membership), so are these offers a one off, or can they be claimed regularly?

If there's one thing I've noticed about businesses, it’s that they abuse loyalty not reward it, so I think if SD&R could offer genuine discounts at the big named websites and outlets then this thread could have been praising your service, but we can't really get to that point because I think there's a major issue with people joining the SD&R programme unwittingly and I can't see any details on how I would make savings with the membership on the SD&R website.

Yours Sincerely,
    Jamie
  • taylorb_2
    Options
    I have just discovered that I have also been having £10.00 per month taken from my credit card account by shopperdiscountsandrewards - so be careful if you purchase from them as well.

BLT
  • taylorb_2
    Options
    Sorry should have encluded the fact that it was Thetrainline.com that somehow provided shopperdiscountandrewards the contact with my account - so it is Thetrainline.com that you should beware of.

BLT
  • Furious_D
    Options
    Same as everyone else. Made a purchase with ' 24electric.com' clicked on £15 off your next purchase, thinking it was just another discount voucher. Minus £80 later, finally noticed £10 a month disappearing from my credit card. Cancelled Shoppers Discount membership (which I never knew I'd joined !) on line. Wrote them a letter - giving them three weeks to repay the missing £80, and fixed date that I would be taking them to the Small Claims Court if the money wasn't back in my account. The money has now been repaid. I am furious, both a my own stupidity for not checking my credit statement more carefully - and at the duplicity of firms that insult their customers by taking part in this scam. As a shareholder in DSG Group (PC World etc) I shall be writing to the chairman to demand that any involvement with this type of scam
    (I notice from a previous entry, that someone mentioned PC World) be stopped.
  • traumatised
    Options
    Just wanted to say that shopper discounts have responded to my email - they have agreed to cancel my membership and refund the charges. I have tried to log into the website again and couldn't so it looks as though my details have been removed. I have so far received a refund of £20 out the £50 I have been charged (hopefully I will also get the rest). Obviously I am happy about this. But i'm still a little bit annoyed - the email included an example of the memebership registration form which I suposedly filled out with some random person's details on it (not mine funnily enough) and quoted the following:
    'By entering my password as my electronic signature and clicking 'YES', I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Offer and Billing Details and authorise Shopper Discounts & Rewards to use my name, address and credit or debit card information I provided for billing and benefit processing. I understand the first 30 days of benefits are free and I will be billed £10 a month thereafter.'
    I certainly did not see this - it must have been really clear!!! I have also had a look on the website and it says the following:

"To become a Shopper Discounts & Rewards member, you will either be asked: to (a) provide a basic profile about yourself by filling out an online registration form with your name, mailing address, email address and payment information (including credit and/or debit card number and expiration date); or (b) expressly authorize a marketing partner of ours to transfer certain contact and billing information to us (including your mailing address and payment information (including credit and/or debit card number and expiration date). We process such information in accordance with this Privacy Policy. Our marketing partners may have different privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies."

So obviously not all people who have had memberships have filled out the online registration form. I assume that when you click "yes" to the £15 discount offer, there is small print that explains that you expressly authorize a marketing partner to pass on your contact and billing information. If (b) is a legitimate way of getting peoples details, I don't see why they don't admit that this is how they get them. I find it all a bit strange.

However, I am happy about the fact that they have removed my details and agreed to refund me. And I will be a lot less trusting of discount offers in future!
  • jamie75
    jamie75 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SD&R was on the BBC 'One Show' on Friday, you can catch the clip on the BBC's iplayer site:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n9ps2/The_One_Show_16_10_2009/ skip to the 23 minute mark for the feature.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting programme Jamie ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.