Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have flogged my husband's bling?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 29 June 2011 at 7:38AM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have flogged my husband's bling?

I was clearing out the loft and found a chunky gold necklace of my husband's, which, to be honest, I always thought was hideous. It had been up there 10 years and he'd totally forgotten about it, but I was worried he'd start wearing it again if he saw it. So I flogged it to (MSE's top) gold buying site for £200 and put the money in our joint account - handy as we're a bit strapped for cash at the moment. But now I feel a tad guilty; was I wrong to melt his bling without telling him?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• jenki2
    jenki2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Yes! You should have at least discussed it with him at the very least!
    LBM: 04/01/13 Total Debt: 19,714 :eek:
    DMP Set up 15/01/13 DFD: 01/2018
  • telsco
    telsco Posts: 116
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Very wrong.

Its was his and his alone, it was NOT yours to sell.

You say it was chunky yet you only got £200. The price of gold is sky high and your actions have undoubtably cost your husband a great deal as it has obviously been sold at a fraction of its real worth.

Some gold buying sites only offer a 10th of the real worth, so you may have cost your husband as much as £1800.

A terrible decision.
  • Wrong. Definitely wrong. Regardless of its value, its his property and he has the right to choose whether to sell it or keep it. Even if he wasn't going to wear it, he may have wanted to keep it for some sentimental reason. I think it would have been better to have asked him, pointing out that its resale value could have really helped with your money problems and then let him make the decision.

This being said, I must admit that, if my better half owned something that hideous that was just gathering dust anyway, I would have been pretty tempted to do the same thing myself.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    The money went in a joint account, not his account!! If my wife did that, she would be my ex wife.

If your husband finds some of your "valuables" to sell without your permission I assume you won't start whingeing.
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Yep, you were wrong. It was his, you should have asked him. A little secret now, but what will the next secret you keep from him be? It's a rocky road....
  • nev0757
    nev0757 Posts: 8 Forumite
    'A Gold Buying Site'. Good grief, ordinary wedding rings are worth £50 each, so a heavy gold necklace is worth a great deal more than the £200 you got.
    Don't you read the Money-Saving Expert advice?
    Should've known better, it wasn't even yours to sell. Will he ever find out? If he reads MSE he will - explain that away!
  • darkwarrior
    darkwarrior Posts: 234
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So incredibly wrong it isn't true. As others have said, these sites pay a FRACTION of what it is worth and you still got £200 so that necklace must've been worth a lot more than that. Plus it was his property. I imagine you would know the answer if he had done the same to you.

And now there is nothing at all you can do about it.
  • picnic
    picnic Posts: 635 Forumite
    did you check the weight of the necklace before selling?? or check the price of gold??? big mistake made in selling to where you did!! IF you OH finds out he would be right in being very unhappy!!
    Life is like a box of chocolates........
    too much all at once and you start to feel just a little sick...._ _pale_
    SW start weight 13st 3lb
    SW currant weight 12st 8lb
    SW weight lost 0st 9lbs
  • kelbag_2
    kelbag_2 Posts: 227 Forumite
    Yes you were wrong but come on, how big is the chance he'll remember it? Has he even mentioned it in the last 10 years?

Blokes don't tend to have the same sentimentility about stuff that us women do so the chances are if he's forgotten its up there you're in the clear.

It still doesn't excuse it but maybe you can sooth the guilt by getting him his favourite tipple and a nice meal? Even the edge by selling something of yours to explain the extra cash?
  • astracat
    astracat Posts: 4
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 June 2011 at 12:03AM
    To rephrase:

"I found something valuable that belonged to someone else so I stole it. The item was gold so I fenced it through a recycler to cash in and destroy the evidence. Was I wrong? "

How could this ever be a 'moral dilemma'? It's simple theft aggravated by an abuse of trust. A judge would see no dilemma and neither do I.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure