PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Defrosting turkey

Options
Help !!!!!

How long can i keep a turkey in the fridge once defrosted ?

I normally buy a big turkey because we have a few people for Christmas dinner but this year there is only the three of us but i left the turkey out too early and its a small turkey but its defrosted now. Will it be ok in the fridge till Sunday ?

edited to add: oops, I think i may have posted in wrong forum, feel free to move me moderators.

Comments

• djohn2002uk
    Options
    Should be OK in the BOTTOM of the fridge where it's coldest, then Sunday morning get it in the oven early and cook it slowly.

Forgot to add. If cooking slowly, put a couple of whole peeled onions in the cavity to keep it moist.
  • Eagle_1
    Eagle_1 Posts: 8,484 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much :xmassmile

This year I have a smaller turkey and I also bought a fresh joint of beef so I please both the hubby and Daughter :snow_grin
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Eagle,

I think djohn's post is spot on. If you keep the turkey well chilled it'll be fine.

I'll move your post over to the MoneySaving Old Style board, where you will be able to get any more help you need.

Enjoy your turkey. :xmassmile

:xmassign: Pink
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    I took my 2.7kg turkey crown out of the freezer yesterday, and put on the bottom shelf of my fridge. Checked it this morning, and it is still fairly solid ! I have taken it out and it is now on the worktop in the the kitchen. I plan to start cooking at about 10 in the morning.

Will it be defrosted, and is there anything I can do to help it along ?
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you take a look at the thread on defrosting a turkey there's a good guidline site posted :)

You should be perfectly OK just defrosting in the fridge - but there are instructions and a calculator there that will help you to be sure.

Defrosting turkey
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squiggles
    squiggles Posts: 1,635 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Is a turkey crown a turkies head? yuck
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    no it's the breast joint, but still attached to the bones, also the wings.

we had a tesco organic turkey crown, it wasn't anything special, plus no juices to make gravy :( it was supposed to serve 4-6, can't see how unless they had bird-like appetites ;)

will get a good chicken instead next year, for half the price and probably have more leftovers !
    -
    Katya
  • lucym
    lucym Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    We had an organic turkey crown (3.4kg)- with giblets.

It was delicious, fed seven of us with plenty left for today’s buffet meal, a pie that I threw together and stuck in the freezer (using the left over gravy and bread sauce) and enough in the fridge for a main meal for tomorrow.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,866 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    we had a turkey crown from Iceland, good value and very tasty,
    fed 6 of us and plenty left for 2 more meals for 4,

had plenty of juices for gravy too, I just cook it in the same way I cook a full bird icon7.gif
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • djohn2002uk
    Options
    blue-kat wrote:
    no it's the breast joint, but still attached to the bones, also the wings.

Katya
    No bones or wings on ours.
    We had the same as Glad, from Iceland and it was the easiest ever to carve and really tasty after putting butter under the skin.

I will say that it was the first time we'd bought a Turkey Crown and after opening the box thought "Oh my god, what have we done here" looked just like it was going to resemble Turkey Breasts. But what a pleasant surprise as if you didn't know you wouldn't know the difference when it's carved and on the plate. Only thing was it was stuffed which we didn't want as I like sausage meat cooked in the turkey so my wife turned it over and took the stuffing out and put the sausage meat in and then had to sew it up to hold it together. And it was great!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport