PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Defrosting turkey

Options

Comments

• janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bumping up to try to get a reply to my last post ??
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • p-pincher
    Options
    hi janiebaby

according to the food standards agency website a turkey youe size would take 42 to 50 hours to deforst in the fridge and 12 to 16 hours in a cold room (below 17.5 degress celcius)
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    p-pincher wrote: »
    hi janiebaby

according to the food standards agency website a turkey youe size would take 42 to 50 hours to deforst in the fridge and 12 to 16 hours in a cold room (below 17.5 degress celcius)
    i will take it out tommorow morning , that should defrost in time for thursday night
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    p-pincher wrote: »
    hi janiebaby

Thanks, that's set my mind at rest about defrosting at room temperature. The link is here.
  • jodie114
    jodie114 Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    ok, seasonal question alert!:xmassmile

i have a 4.5kg boned and rolled turkey breast joint frozen.. i want to cook this chrsitmas eve am ideally, so when should i get it out of the freezer, and transfer to the fridge?
    Thanks... is there a general guide for gammon joints and beef joints as well, or just a couple of days etc...
    Ok, ok, i need to go back onto Weightwatchers, lost 7 stone..... 2 back on, this has to change.....Help!!!:eek:
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No advice I'm afraid (my nut roast doesn't take much thawing!) but thank you for bringing back the memory of the year my Mum forgot to take the turkey out of the freezer and it ended up sitting in a warm bath over Christmas eve :rotfl:
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    jodie114 wrote: »
    i have a 4.5kg boned and rolled turkey breast joint frozen.. i want to cook this chrsitmas eve am ideally, so when should i get it out of the freezer, and transfer to the fridge?

How long to defrost a turkey :xmassmile Click on the link for all you need to know :xmassmile
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • loocyloo
    Options
    arghh! HELP!

DH has just rung, he has been given a fresh 7kg turkey by work. its minus 12 where he is, so assuming it will be fine sitting in his car all day!

i've said i think it will need freezing, as it won't last until christmas day before going off ... so he is going to put it in his freezer tonight, and then collect it before he comes home tomorrow night :) it will then sit in his car, in a cool bag + ice packs for 4/5hrs ....

but ... how long will it take to defrost? i've just read something about frozen turkey needing 3 days to defrost in fridge ... so as soon as he has brought it home, do we need to start defrosting it?

i've always bought a fresh turkey the day before christmas, so never had this problem!

any advice? !!! please! :D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    We had this question yesterdaym and I found a website to answer this :) I'll merge this to that thread so that you can find it too.

I'd put the fresh turkey on the fridge and not bother freezing it, FWIW :D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • loocyloo
    Options
    thank you, but i'm a bit worried about the turkey spoiling if we don't freeze it! ( would be different if i was the one to get the turkey, but as i'm doing it all 'blind' as it were, i don't know what it looks like fresh! )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure