CPW O2 Retentions Thread

Options

Comments

• scarletjim
    scarletjim Posts: 561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was bout to phone them just now, but thought I'd better check how much the call charges are on 0870 numbers.

A website called 'say no to 0870' suggests that you get through to exactly the same department as 08701117200 using several either geographical or even freephone numbers, such as:

0800 9555544 or
    0800 049 0049

...for example. Has anyone ever tried this? Do you get through to the right place, or is it just additional hassle for very little gain?

EDIT: However on O2 pay monthly contracts their website suggests that the 0870 number above is free anyway. :embarasse
  • mug51
    mug51 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i always use the 0800 ones given from that site, gets you there with no probs. gives you the same automated message that takes a long to till go through, with options and stuff.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    The 0870 number is FREE from your handset.
  • pingtiao
    pingtiao Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I just agreed verbally to a deal.
    I am just into the 11th month, and wanted to try and sget as much as possible.
    I use around 300-500 minutes a month, so wanted a 600 min contract. I've been on an e2save cashback offer so have spent around £35 a month (I have got all my cashback claims in on time and had no problems as of yet- final one went last week) for the last 12 months.

I just agreed, after a long time agueing, 600mins, 1000 texts and free unlimited internet- no phone- for £10 a month for 24 months.

Should I take it? I have 14 days to cancel...
    I am going away for three months, so wanted a low monthly cost, but when I get back I will try and get a phone that allows me to run skype and use the web. A 3g jobby- I reckon that a maximum of a tenner a month including tax is pretty good!

Interested in your advice- I know it is a 24 month deal, but £10 a month for unlimited data seems quite good- especially when I am an ultrageek!
  • nell2
    nell2 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    pingtiao wrote: »
    I just agreed verbally to a deal.
    I am just into the 11th month, and wanted to try and sget as much as possible.
    I use around 300-500 minutes a month, so wanted a 600 min contract. I've been on an e2save cashback offer so have spent around £35 a month (I have got all my cashback claims in on time and had no problems as of yet- final one went last week) for the last 12 months.

I just agreed, after a long time agueing, 600mins, 1000 texts and free unlimited internet- no phone- for £10 a month for 24 months.

Should I take it? I have 14 days to cancel...
    I am going away for three months, so wanted a low monthly cost, but when I get back I will try and get a phone that allows me to run skype and use the web. A 3g jobby- I reckon that a maximum of a tenner a month including tax is pretty good!

Interested in your advice- I know it is a 24 month deal, but £10 a month for unlimited data seems quite good- especially when I am an ultrageek!

I rang them back today and had another go and got 400 minutes, 1000 texts and the unlimited internet for a fiver over 24 months. It's not quite as many minutes as you need, but it gives you something to compare. I'm quite happy with a 24 month deal as I love my current phone, and it's going to be far cheaper for me than PAYG. Since it is such a good deal, I'm happy that they've committed to give it to me for 2 years actually. (NB Unlimited data subject to a 200MB excessive use policy so if you go over that a lot - and you might if you Skype a lot, they could remove it from your account).

If you aren't completely happy, ring them back and ask again - tell them what you want (study the tariffs chart on their website). Are you getting say £20 a month discount off one of their tariffs? If so, is there another tariff that you could ask for £20 a month off? Also, look at some of the deals on the e2save website so you can use these as a reason why they should better your current deal. I think they've got some 600 minutes, 500 texts ones with a phone (clearance) for £1.99 a month so knowing this could be a good bargaining tool.

HTH - let us know how you get on tomorrow.
  • garrity2005
    garrity2005 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I am just into the 11th month, I phoned Retention Department, I was originally on 200mins Anytime & 250 texts - 12month Contract @ £30.00/month, with 11 months free, so actual cost £30.00/Year.

They have offered me the following:-
    600mins Anytime & 500 texts per month, on a 12 Month Contract @ £40.00/month, with 11 months free, so actual cost £40.00/Year, they will follow this up with written confirmation.

I have been with CPW for 2-3 years now, and I have never had any bother,
    (I have got all my cashback claims in on time and had no problems as of yet- final one due in at the end of this month) for the last 12 months.

I have 14 days to cancel, but think this offer is to good to turn down.:j
    gar2005
  • Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    Garrity,

You should be able to negotiate a 12 month renewal/continuance with 11 months paid immediately, as an upfront credit, direct to your account.

That way you know the money is safely there, with no claims to make.

Agree it in principle, subject to receiving the offer in writing (you may need to chase them up on that - they hate writing and mailing things).

Once you get it in writing, confirm the contract.

It's a good deal but make sure they switch you to one of the new O2 tariffs (at the same monthly fee) which give you unlimited data access for no more than £1 per day. There should be no charge for giving you that.

You can get this, if you insist on it!

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They have offered me the following:-
    600mins Anytime & 500 texts per month, on a 12 Month Contract @ £40.00/month, with 11 months free, so actual cost £40.00/Year, they will follow this up with written confirmation.

I got that deal - though have to claim in 3 stages (not sure how others managed to wangle this as a credit up front - they had some Automatic Cashback deals but significantly less than 11 months free). Happy enough!

Anon
  • mug51
    mug51 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooooo i got 75 anytime mins, 250 texts and unlimited internet for £10....don't think thats such a good deal, better ring up again
  • nell2
    nell2 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    mug51 wrote: »
    oooooo i got 75 anytime mins, 250 texts and unlimited internet for £10....don't think thats such a good deal, better ring up again

I would definitely ring them back and have another go. That's what loyalty offered me the first time I rang, but I just said (really politely) that I was sorry but I thought I would probably like my PAC instead because PAYG would be better for me and they started to drop the price. I had a 7 day change of mind period when I agreed my new deal, and I assume that yours is the same. They should have told you when you spoke to them (they are in breach of distance selling regs if they didn't tell you I think).
    I would also echo what has been said here about getting your deal confirmed in writing before the cooling off period ends. I've used their website email to sort this out - they tried to reply to me by phone, but I insisted that I had confirmation in writing, and I got it within a couple of hours.
    Again, to agree with other comments, I would not accept cheque backs from them - I told them this from the outset, and they never mentioned it again. Ask for a straightforward (and substantial discount) on your line rental, (or an immediate and automatic credit on your account) and be cheeky and ask for any extras that you want. I've found them to be polite and quite helpful, although they are obviously skilled at the bargaining game, so you need to play along too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure