What is the best Mastercard prepaid card to use for Ryanair transactions only??

Options
Hi all,
I read a while ago that Ryanair was changing its free to use card from a Visa electron to a Mastercard prepaid card instead for making bookings through its website.

What i'd like to know is as i only want a prepaid card for this reason only what is the best card to get? I am also from the UK.

Kind Regards

TURRELL1

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2010 at 4:50PM
    Options
    What are your requirements?

Which currencies do you need aswell as £ sterling?

How many times a month will you be flying?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • TURRELL1
    TURRELL1 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the reply to my question, i only fly with Ryanair about 1 or 2 times a year and as i book from the UK would i only need a prepaid card that delt with £ only or one with euro's too??

Thanks

TURRELL1
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many people would be travelling, may not be worth all the kerfuffle.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • TURRELL1
    TURRELL1 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Usually 2 maybe more sometimes
  • elscifo
    Options
    @ Turrell1
    For my sins I have to fly Ryanair a lot as I fly over and back to Ireland from the UK regularly.
    I have a two Prepaid MasterCards from a company call Prepaid Financial Services (PFS).
    I have a Sterling card which I use to make purchases on the Ryanair website meaning I can dodge the booking charge of £10 per person per booking and a Euro prepaid card which I use for spending when Im in Ireland. The two cards cost £19 and in effect were free as I saved twenty quid on the first flight I booked.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    El Scifo
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is being discussed at length in this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2074201

The general conclusion seems to be that the Neteller card is best - if you top it up by bank transfer I don't think there are any charges at all.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Lehman
    Lehman Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, Neteller is the best option for Ryanair from my research and comparison.
  • bigtallscott
    Options
    I've just gone for the Escape card, which if you just purely for Ryain air like me there are no charges for toping up at a Phones4U shop or for transactions. Other top up options have charges of 99p.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    where's the best place I can just go into a shop and get a card which will enable me to buy ryanair flights without incurring any fees whatsoever please. I'm sick of neteller taking so long to respond and now apparently they can't send me a card as they can't read the details on my passport that I've emailed them. My printer is old so I've asked them to return the money to my bank account - yeah right - i know it's not their fault but the flights will have gone up so much it's not worth the hassle - I might just use my debit card but would prefer not to if poss.. thanks
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I ended up running into similar problems with Neteller, so I went with the Escape card instead. I ordered it online, but apparently you can get it from Phones4U shops. Whether you can actually get a card there and then or just order one, I don't know...

Otherwise, the IDT Prime card looks interesting and the charges aren't too bad: http://www.idtprime.com/Buy-now/buy-prime-in-shops.aspx
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills