PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Red cabbage recipe wanted please.

Options
Can anyone tell me how to cook it? I ate out the other day & had this lovely, sweet red cabbage as a side dish. I really want to try it again!

Thanks.

Nickinoo

Comments

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Red cabbage benefits from cooking long and slow as it's a very hard cabbage. I usually shred it up and stick it in a casserole dish (could use slow-cooker for this too ;) ) and add bits of chopped bacon, diced apple, garlic, red onions, red wine vinegar, sugar, all-spice and s&p. Cover and cook for 2 hours (in oven) or all day on low in slow-cooker :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, that sounds nice Curryqueen (apart from the bacon as I am a veggie). Thanks.
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I've read on here that someone stirfryed cabbage with nutmeg or cinamon which sounds nice too.

Like swede it's a really cheap veg but I've never bought it yet (not known what to do with it). I do want to try new things so I might just get creative with cabbage.

What's the difference in taste/nutritional value between red and normal cabbage?
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I slice mine thinly and put in a saucepan with a cup of port, the juice from one orange anda tbs of brown sugar.
    Cook on the lowest setting for one hour.
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would do it in the oven in a lidded pyrex dish. A cup of veggie stock, salt, pepper, 1 chopped apple and 1 handful of sultanas. Just bung it in whilst the sunday roast is cooking. DELICIOUS!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Nasnowt
    Nasnowt Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    Options
    Red cabbage is so good.

If you need your skin to look really good for something, try drinking red cabbage juice daily for a week or 2 beforehand.

Juice
    1/4 of a small red cabbage
    1/2 a medium head of fennel
    2 large sweet apples juiced separately then added to taste

You get a purple liquid that is high in Vitamin E.

I got tip this from friends in the film industry, they would use it when they knew they had camera close up work to do. It helps stop that "creased foundation" look that older skin can get.
    :wave: In my new basket: A slightly whiffy blanket; Racy’s 2nd favorite jumper; remains of a slipper; 2 sticks (1 chewed); bouncy ball collection (4); Racy’s iPod :shhh: and a large sock (found under Racy's bed) :confused:

• Party_Animal
    Party_Animal Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some great stuff there I love red cabbage but don't know anyone else who does. I'll try some of these out.
    Thanks
  • nickinoo
    nickinoo Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone-I'm hungry now!
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ...I have one which will get binned unless you wonderful people give me some inspiration for it!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Shred it finely and use as you would white cabbage in coleslaw.

Shred and braise with a splash of red wine and red wine vinegar (and some grated nutmeg if you have any) Add a dribble of honey when it's nearly done.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure