MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should rich Rich pay for Tom, !!!!!! & Harry?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should rich Rich pay for Tom, !!!!!! &; Harry?

A few months ago, Rich who’s just graduated from Uni, won £3.9m on the lottery. He had a big party to celebrate a couple of weeks ago. Now he’s arranged to meet fellow recent graduates Tom, !!!!!! and Harry; none of whom have found work yet, for a curry night and beers like they used to at Uni. On the way to meet him, Tom & !!!!!! chat, saying Rich had better pay for them all now he’s so loaded. Yet Harry’s not so sure. Should rich Rich pay for Tom, !!!!!! & Harry?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Who should pay for the lost iPod?
You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?
Would you buy your neighbours’ repossessed house?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Comments

456789 Posts: 2,305
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes he should - if he doesn't he isn't a very good friend
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,736
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I dont' think he's obligated to, after all, it's a get together and everyone should pay for themselves. If he hadn't had the win there wouldn't even be a question of it and therefore it all comes down to the money. Therefore if he doesn't pay I don't think his friends should hold it against him. It's unfair to think that a friend should foot your expenditure just because they're better off than you. If you can't afford to pay for yourself then don't go. Therefore Im going to say no, he shouldn't pay.

However, most decent people in that situation would offer to pay for their friends, especially due to the large sum he won and the fact his friends aren't working.
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Totally agree with you Gavin.
  • Amber07
    Amber07 Posts: 330 Forumite
    It would be a nice gesture if Rich did pay for his friends, especially if they haven't been able to find work. But his friends shouldn't go out 'expecting' him to.

They should go with the intention of paying for themselves, and if Rich offers, accept with thanks.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. :cheesy:
  • Secret_Lady
    Secret_Lady Posts: 749
    Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Amber07 wrote: »
    It would be a nice gesture if Rich did pay for his friends, especially if they haven't been able to find work. But his friends shouldn't go out 'expecting' him to.

They should go with the intention of paying for themselves, and if Rich offers, accept with thanks.

Agree, they shouldn't expect him to pay but given the circumstances and that they are all friends, it would be very nice if he did although they should not expect him to pay every time they meet up.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can and the wisdom to know it's me"
  • FatDickie
    FatDickie Posts: 74 Forumite
    Have a friend exactly the same, who is a millionairess.

It is as most people above have said.....Whenever we go out as a group it goes without question that we all take money and offer to pay our way. Sometimes she pays, sometimes we all pay.... Although going out for a meal isn't the real problem, It's what on earth to get for Christmas & Birthdays !!!! :)
    Mortgage and totally Debt Free as of December 2008.

boy does it feel good!
    Thanks MSE for all the tips and advice
  • JessW1986
    JessW1986 Posts: 66 Forumite
    I think it would be nice if he offered but he shouldn't have to because they're all only going for a curry which, I assume, is within all of their means. His friends certainly shouldn't expect him to pay for them or be annoyed if he doesn't. I think it's be different if Rich wanted them all to go to somewhere that he can clearly only afford but, even then, there should be no expectation on the part of his friends, it's his money not there's.
  • Amber07
    Amber07 Posts: 330 Forumite
    JessW1986 wrote: »
    I think it's be different if Rich wanted them all to go to somewhere that he can clearly only afford but, even then, there should be no expectation on the part of his friends,

That's a good point - one of my brothers friends is a footballer, a group of them went on a night out round VIP haunts and the drinks cost a fortune. Knowing that the other guys couldn't afford it, his friend paid for them all. But he offered, no one expected it of him (they were just going to drink really slowly hehe)
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. :cheesy:
  • sukki
    sukki Posts: 2 Newbie
    If they were true friends the conversation would not have happened,as true friendship is simply that, money doesnt come into it, unless of course they were just aquaintencies now that is something different altogether.:confused:
  • sukki
    sukki Posts: 2 Newbie
    If they were true friends the conversation would not have happened,as true friendship is simply that, money doesnt come in to it, unless of course they were just aquaintencies now that is something different altogether.:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure