MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should rich Rich pay for Tom, !!!!!! & Harry?

Comments

• nancypearl
    nancypearl Posts: 67 Forumite
    If I won that amount I would be worried about people who just wanted to be my 'friend' because I could pay for them to have a good time.
    We're only talking about a curry night here, and I so would expect everyone to pay their own way. If the money hasn't changed things between us then I would feel in a better position to offer to pay, but I woud be cautious about always paying or people expecting me to do so just because I can. I might just have to leave early and just leave my share of the bill and tip on the table to test the water.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    If I was the "poor" friend I would not expect my "rich" friend to pay for me.

I don't think it's good that Tom and !!!!!! had a discussion about it though. Next they'll be expecting Ferraris!!!!!

But I be honest if my rich friend didn't offer I would be thinking "Tight cow" because if I won that much money and met up with my friends I would offer to foot the bill. ESPECIALLY if they are out of work. Wouldn't meet up with them too often though............................. :-)
  • gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is the kind of situation where you'd maybe not want to tell your friends that you won 4 million quid cos it just causes problems! Don't tell them, but when you go out, offer to pay, and similarly, offer to pay if your friends refuse to come out because they're skint. They'lll appreciate the offer of you paying but also be more willing to pay their own way if they don't know how much cash you have! Feeling obligated to pay just because you have more cash than your friends is a horrible feeling. Why should you be paying for them when you could be saving your money away for the future of you and your family.

It's also worthwhile thinking that people with that amount of money also don't always have the disposable cash - it may well be tied up in long term investments or in shares that can't be touched, or in property, etc.
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    I had some new "friends" when I was in uni. Not long after uni was over we hung out together for a while, but nevertheless ended up going our separate ways. These are not what I call friends, rather aquaintences. My real friends are not fly-by-night.

I would say that Rich should NOT pay (on this occasion at least) but to wait and see how many of the three friends are still friends afterwards.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How could this ever be a serious question? The guy has just won millions. And we're talking about a MEAL, not subsiding people for the rest of their lives. Pay for the damn meal Rich - what the hell's the matter with you?
  • I would be happy to pay. A curry and a few drinks would cost very little, and it's always good to help your friends.
  • Sue81
    Sue81 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I don't think he should be expected to pay. If this is a mutually organised get together everyone should turn up with enough money to pay their own share.
    However if he offers to pay and they accept I think they should at least buy him a pint.
  • lincolnscot
    lincolnscot Posts: 69 Forumite
    I dont think that he should pay for the entire night. Everyone should pay their own way and remain friends, if he has to pay for everything then he has no true friends.

Although if it was me I would probably buy a bottle of something extravagant discreetly and make it a private celebration for my close friends.
  • K-Lye
    K-Lye Posts: 78 Forumite
    Frankly, I find it quite shocking how many people would even suggest a "friend" could pay for them because he/she came into some money, morally or otherwise.

If it's a friend, then money simply doesn't come into the equation. If you're out for a meal, then it works whatever way it's worked before (either paying individually or taking turns for the meal). If you can't afford the meal, don't go.

It's a mutually exclusive question really in my opinion. If it's gotten to the point of whether Rich should pay then by default, they can't really be considered friends.. :silenced:
    I imagine bugs and girls have a dim suspicion that nature played a cruel trick on them, but they lack the intelligence to really comprehend the magnitude of it. -- Calvin & Hobbes :rotfl:
  • naturally_2
    naturally_2 Posts: 398 Forumite
    If I were Rich I would pay. They are good friends and he knows what their financial situation is.

I I were Tom, !!!!!! or Harry I would take the money I need and be able to pay for myself. If I couldn't afford it I would suggest something I could afford (like a couple of pints) instead. I might wonder if Rich were going to pay, but would not hold it against him in the slightest if he didn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure