MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?

You volunteered to organise a night out for your football/book/knitting/salsa class group. You've chosen a really good value restaurant with a set price menu, and even been organised enough to collect the cash in advance. Yet on the morning of the meal you spot a restaurant voucher knocking a fiver a head off the price. Do you refund the cost to everyone in the group or would you keep schtum and pocket the cash for yourself, effectively meaning your dinner and drinks are free?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Would you buy your neighbours’ repossessed house?
Would you ask for a tip back?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• treat everyomne to a drink, and only 'confess' after they have had it, if need be!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Given everyone was happy to pay it, get them a drink to begin with.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Really there is no such thing as a free meal - if someone twigs and a high risk someone will; there will be someone down the line there who is your future bosses sister, who will think it off enough to not invite your kid to a class party, will tell your mum - even if you have no moral qualms there's risk vs. return and bad karma etc goes around. On the other hand give everyone back a fiver and people will think you are great and credit you with their bonus - free good karma, even if you don't give a t0ss about doing them a good deal it could do yourself one!
  • No Way would I keep the money myself, I would be thrilled to have arranged a fun night out for FRIENDS, and would not be able to live with my concience otherwise.:A
  • Same as Lee - use the saved cash to buy a couple of bottles of wine for the table :beer:
  • I would refund everyone their fiver. It would make the night that bit more enjoyable for all, and would be safe in the knowledge that no-one would learn about this voucher at a later time and get upset.
    I could buy drinks for the table as mentioned above but some of my friends are teetotal.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • I would give everyone their fiver. Cos that's what it is, THEIR FIVER. That's what per head means.

Not cos I may be found out later, or spend it on wine, which some may not want. A fiver is a fiver and some could possibly do with the cash. I know I could have done with a fiver in my poorer, none drinking cos could not afford a taxi, days.
  • I would give them back their fiver.

Knowing my luck if I kept it I would be found out and then be accused of being CHEAP !!!! LOL
  • MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
    You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?

You volunteered to organise a night out for your football/book/nitting/salsa class group. You've chosen a really good value restaurant with a set price menu, and even been organised enough to collect the cash in advance. Yet on the morning of the meal you spot a restaurant voucher knocking a fiver a head off the price. Do you refund the cost to everyone in the group or would you keep schtum and pocket the cash for yourself, effectively meaning your dinner and drinks are free?
    Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Would you buy your neighbours’ repossessed house?
    Would you ask for a tip back?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

I couldn't be that mean, but I would add the extra cash raised to the booze fund for the night, hic!
  • I couldn't be that mean, but I would add the extra cash raised to the booze fund for the night, hic![/quote:beer: ]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure