Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Hi, I am checking if I should use the Flight Delay Tool (Resolver) or MSE template letters.
    My case was a flight from the EU (Athens) that arrived in the UK (London) on a EU airline (SAS).

The guide says that the tool covers:
    -Anyone whose flight departed from the UK.
    -Anyone who arrived in the UK on a UK/EU airline, from outside the EU.

What about "anyone who arrived in the UK on a UK/EU airline, from inside the EU"? Should I then go for the template letters?
    Thanks

I've just used Resolver for a flight from Spain to the UK and had a letter from Ryanair, within 48hrs, agreeing to pay
  • matiasgfasano
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Then you should claim for the full journey, which is €400 per passenger.
    Vauban wrote: »
    You should claim for the distance between Athens and London as calculated by the "great circle method" - which is what the Regulation prescribes. That is about 2400 km.

Hi,
    Summary of my case: an SAS two leg flight ATH to LHR with a stop in CPH. My first leg (ATH-CPH) arrived with a delay of 80 minutes. My second leg (CPH-LHR) was cancelled 30 minutes before departure due to technical problems. SAS gave us tickets for a two leg flight CPH-LHR with a stop in OSL. We arrived to LHR with a delay of 13 hours.

You explained to me that I should claim for the whole journey (ATH-LRH).
    I reviewed the leaflet provided to us by SAS. It says something tricky about determining the distance from the place where the issue happened (CPH?).

"If you have booked several connecting flights as one single journey
    – that means within the same booking – in determining the
    distance, the basis is from the place of departure where the delay or
    cancellation occurred to the last destination indicated on your ticket
    where the delay or cancellation has time-related consequences for
    you. If you are travelling on several separate tickets, which have
    been booked individually, these rules apply only up until the final
    destination of each ticket."

I did not find this text in EU rule 261/2004. It looks like something tricky from their end. Should I ignore this?
  • fireflyisback
    Options
    Hello,

Summary of my case: Flight from London Gatwick to Hamburg was cancelled, 5 hours before the flight (flight schedule 19:30).

After being on hold for 30 mins, no flights available. Managed to get them to offer to re-imburse difference for another flight.

Found another flight with a different carrier, for 19:25 from Heathrow.

Frustration is the length of time on hold (originally directed to go online, nothing there) and the fact we took time out on our day off to resolve, lot of stress, frantic phone calls to family saying we were going to miss the family get together.

Any compensation available, despite the fact we managed to get a replacement flight?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were you given any explanation for the delay.
  • trevorscottsmith
    Options
    BA cancelled my flight from Rome to London, they did not notify me. At check in I was told flight cancelled due to the fire at Rome airport. There was a flight in due to leave for Gatwick was told flight full. They put me on a flight next day. At Heathrow they had lost all of my luggage, they have compensated me for no luggage for five days, I put in a claim which was declined but not told it had been declined. After many emails they now tell me the flight was cancelled due to airspace restrictions, no mention of the fire. Can someone please tell me, am I entitled to make a claim
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What was the flight number and on what day was the flight?
  • DrA_Harrogate
    Options
    Read Vauban's guide, and use flightstats to try and establish the cause of the delay. Then it will be time to issue a Notice Before Action (NBA) letter to the airline. These days this usually provokes a response. If the airline pleads 'extraordinary circumstances' (after all, if there really was a fire that shut the airport then it would not be fair to blame them etc) do report it here for further advice.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After many emails they now tell me the flight was cancelled due to airspace restrictions, no mention of the fire. Can someone please tell me, am I entitled to make a claim

The fire at the airport was the cause of the airspace restrictions (restrictions meant that only some rather than all flights could operate)
    both the fire and the airspace restrictions are outside of the airlines control so no compensation payment would be due.
    You should be due reimbursement of expenses incurred whilst waiting in Rome...hotel, meals etc (although often the airline arranges these directly for you so you may have nothing to claim)
  • samwardill
    Options
    Good to see that newspapers like the Guardian are now making it clear that flight cancellation compensation is due in case of strikes (see http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/19/flight-delay-claims-compensation-airlines-passengers). Five years ago Which? Magazine (published by the consumer association) published an article that incorrectly said it was not. I tried to persuade them to correct their mistake (sending multiple letters). They refused and I cancelled my membership in protest. I wonder how many people missed out on compensation because of this mistake not corrected by Which? for 5 years! Will Which? now publish a correction?
  • stefo_2
    Options
    HI,

My BMI flight was recently cancelled 30min before departure. As there were no other BMI flights available that day i had to book with easyjet for a last minute flight.
    BMI have said that they will refund the easyjet flight, but not the BMI flight that was cancelled.
    The flight was cancelled due to technical issues, and they have said in their email that this is extra-ordinary circumstances so they will therefore not provide compensation.

I'm not sure that technical issues class as extra-ordinary circumstances! are they trying to get out of paying compensation? and should they refund the BMI flight that was cancelled as well as the easyjet flight which i had to book in its place?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback