Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• zeeww_2
    zeeww_2 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    mkaml wrote: »
    Don't you have to have telephone line rental?

No, I'm on their cable BB service so no phone line required (not sure if it's still cable network or fibre optic nowadays but it's the BB service that doesn't require a phone line)
  • TheBigMan
    Options
    Just had "the call" from Virgin retentions, offered my exsisting package at 50% for for 12 months and the year after will still be 25% less than my current deal.

Im more than happy with that.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    My son is on a serious moneysaving quest and I've promised to help him getting his Virgin bill down. He's out of contract and currently pays £56.99 pm for Broadband XXL, TV M+ and a phone line. He only needs "up to 50Mb" broadband and TV M (not M+), and doesn't need the phone line.

Is it better to downgrade to his more modest requirements before talking to retentions, or to let retentions incorporate the downgrade in any offer they may make? What rental can we hope to negotiate for slowest broadband & TV M?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    My son is on a serious moneysaving quest and I've promised to help him getting his Virgin bill down. He's out of contract and currently pays £56.99 pm for Broadband XXL, TV M+ and a phone line. He only needs "up to 50Mb" broadband and TV M (not M+), and doesn't need the phone line.

Is it better to downgrade to his more modest requirements before talking to retentions, or to let retentions incorporate the downgrade in any offer they may make? What rental can we hope to negotiate for slowest broadband & TV M?

Call to cancel, tell them its too expensive. Do your research, find out how much it would cost now if you were a new customer.

You're looking at being a Big Easy.

http://store.virginmedia.com/big-bundles/big-easy.html

£35.99 for 50mb BB, M TV, Tivo and Basic Phone - take the phone, it will cost you more for TV and BB without it.

I would aim for a ballpark £26-28 a month for that bundle on a loyalty deal.

Tell them thats what you want, and you DON'T want a new minimum term added.

If they won't go that far even after all the 'let me ask my manager' attempts then ask them to go through with cancellation and tell them to ensure they have written down what you want.

The outbound retentions team should call back with better discounts on your deal.

You will have to stand by your guns, the retentions team gets really shirty sometimes.

Good Luck.
  • happy_2008
    happy_2008 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had to actually put in my cancellation request in order to get a discount after being lied to by the retentions teams on the first two occassions. The deal they offered worked out to be more expensive then new customers so i told the staff to either give me a better discount or i leave. Cancellation was processed 10 minutes later only for me to receive a call a couple of days later. Ended up getting the big Kahuna package for £43.99
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    If you're taking Virgin with you to a new address, does anyone have experience of managing to get a "loyalty" discount when you sign up to a new contract? Or is that less likely given they'll want to cover installation costs etc?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    If you're taking Virgin with you to a new address, does anyone have experience of managing to get a "loyalty" discount when you sign up to a new contract? Or is that less likely given they'll want to cover installation costs etc?

If you're moving for a good period of time then consider going in as a new customer - years of loyalty don't count for much, just retaining you does.

Cashback can be your friend on getting a cheap deal for a year, Virgin Media are currently offering up to £262 cashback with a combination of subscriptions.

If you're a big customer being a new customer is better than transferring.

If transferring then the minimum contract term will kick back in.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zeeww wrote: »
    Rang up to haggle today. £17 for 12 months BB 50mb, not bad considering I don't have anything else with them!

Just got £15 a month for 18 months for the same.:)

Only offered to keep me at the same price (without the £1.50 rise) at first. I said I was going to try Talk Talk @ £13.50 a month, then they offered £15.

I probably could have got better but I'm happy with that.

Until the next rise.....
  • eastcorkram
    Options
    When I called Virgin last week, trying to reduce monthly bill, I was told in no uncertain terms that there is no such thing as a loyalty discount. I've left it at that for now, while I figure out what to do next!
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    You're looking at being a Big Easy.

http://store.virginmedia.com/big-bundles/big-easy.html

£35.99 for 50mb BB, M TV, Tivo and Basic Phone - take the phone, it will cost you more for TV and BB without it.

I mentioned TV M as my understanding was that it was the free service you'd get if you stopped subscribing to TV but kept the box. Is that no longer the case? I'm a bit surprised to see it's now in one of the bundles for new customers. He could just move to Freeview, though he'd have to get an aerial installed. Essentially, all he needs is broadband.
    I would aim for a ballpark £26-28 a month for that bundle on a loyalty deal.

I see VoucherMan above has got BB for £15. That's more what I hoped my son could get, in line with ADSL broadband offers.
    Tell them thats what you want, and you DON'T want a new minimum term added.

Why not a minimum term? Isn't that the trade off for a decent retention offer?
    If they won't go that far even after all the 'let me ask my manager' attempts then ask them to go through with cancellation and tell them to ensure they have written down what you want.

The outbound retentions team should call back with better discounts on your deal.

You will have to stand by your guns, the retentions team gets really shirty sometimes.

Is phoning retentions better than using Live Chat? Are retentions willing to confirm offers by email? Are they happy to take a mobile number for the callback or will they want to use the landline on the account if there is one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure