Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    Post office van drove into my brand new home
    • 13th Jan 20, 11:53 AM
    Post office van drove into my brand new home 13th Jan 20 at 11:53 AM
    On the 28th of December a royal Mail van drove into my house damaging the brickwork. The 28th of December sadly was the day I moved into my first home which took myself and my partner years to save up to buy.

Since this happened my kind developer Taylor Wimpey fixed the brick work for free as a gesture of good will. The corners of 3 bricks were damaged.

The van driver took accountability for the accident. The RM accident team said they would pay for the damage however this was not required, they then said they would pass this issue onto customer care.I have recieved nothing from the Royal Mail or heard from customer care. Only a small apology from the local delivery manager for ruining the most exciting life milestone of my life.
    Last week I chased up accident management to make sure they forwarded my correspondences to the customer care team. I still have heard nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated. Should I take legal action against them for compensation ?
Page 5
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 7,690 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    I can understand you being upset, but most people have a house moving day story.... It was fixed promptly so no problems.
    Originally posted by jackomdj
    In our case it was first our dog getting injured in the new garden (I'd checked it over but missed a potential hazard) and being rushed to the emergency vets. On coming home from there and finally settling in to relax on our first night and the main water pipe coming up through the floor burst, spraying water up as far as the fuse box, soaking our sofa, and ruining our newly laid floor. As far as moving day problems go I would have much preferred 3 slightly damaged bricks that were easily fixed than what we went through.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 13th Jan 20, 8:44 PM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 4,259 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Also can I add to this story a key element I have missed out which is why I'm angry about the situation.
    The driver drove off and left no details. I found a piece of his van on my driveway and red paint on the floor and did my detective work.

I think the disrespect is what's upset me.
    Originally posted by Erb2710
    You should have gone to the police, thatís an offence.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 13th Jan 20, 9:24 PM
    • 6,787 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    Few days after we moved into our new-build in November, a truck reversed onto our front lawn by mistake and left a massive great rut in the grass.

We carefully rolled back the turf, filled the hole and levelled the soil underneath, and laid the turf back.

*shrug*
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 13th Jan 20, 9:41 PM
    • 4,989 Posts
    • 7,105 Thanks
    kinger101
    Have you ever had a house you bought driven into ?
    No. I drove my red mail van into someone's wall just after Christmas though.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jan 20, 10:15 PM
    • 8,962 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    00ec25
    Sorry, I don't understand? Nor am i sure what you're implying.
    Originally posted by BooJewels
    i meant given their accuracy (unless under Knickebein beam guidance) you may live on the fringes of civilisation
    round us, there are a lot of holes in fields to bear witness to their efforts, and we were not a decoy site, so no reason to drop em on us
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jan 20, 10:27 PM
    • 35,622 Posts
    • 22,488 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Thank you for all your advice.

I'm new to this forum and appreciate your help.

Something small, funny and insignificant to yourself (such as small damage) can be much more significant to someone else.
    I spent many years saving for my house deposit and I cant help to feel upset that someone drove into my hosue and then simply drove off without any due care. Yes I know that's life but I feel like it's easy to laugh at this happening to me but would you be laughing if this happened to you? I would not laugh if this happened to my neighbour. I'm very new to home ownership and was simply asking for advice.

Thanks again!

If it were to happen to me Id speak to my insurance company first even if its for some advice and then approach RM to pay for a surveyor.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Jan 20, 11:07 PM
    • 12,532 Posts
    • 33,427 Thanks
    suki1964
    They were great I cant fault them!
    I simply came on this forum for advice from experienced home owners which i have recieved. I am learning as we all are in life.
    Did not come on here or offend people or myself to feel as stupid as I do. I get it I'm overreacting but we are all precious over things we have worked hard to own. Thanks for everyones help
    Well good for you that you can now see how daft this all is

No one is meaning to make you feel stupid, a lot of the posts here today are just pure banter to make you see that the sky hasn't fallen, no one has died, and the 3 bricks that were harmed in the making of this drama, have been replaced

Enjoy your new home
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ethank
    • By ethank 14th Jan 20, 11:29 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    ethank
    Perhaps then I would be expecting a gesture of goodwill and a real apology.

So am I correct in thinking that a surveyor should be supplied by the RM to ensure the damage is repaired.
    But if its fixed what would they be surveying?
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 15th Jan 20, 11:05 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    Fair play to the OP, most newbies come on here, get an answer they maybe don't want and flounce off in a huff. They took the comments on board. Welcome to the forum.

I think they're right to feel like the shine was taken off their new home, especially after the disrespect and plain lack of morals shown by the RM driver driving off. But I'm sure like all of us it'll just be something to rant about occasionally over the years as opposed to a life ruining moment!

My brother had the developer/builder swing a skip into the corner of his house, smashed a section of render off and buckled the metal edging strip the put on the corners. Never looked right after the repair, you can still see it. Now that's a reason to still be miffed as it was ruined forever, but it's still one of those things he got over.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 15th Jan 20, 1:52 PM
    • 51,150 Posts
    • 64,155 Thanks
    G_M
    If it were to happen to me Id speak to my insurance company first even if its for some advice and then approach RM to pay for a surveyor.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I'd advise you to be very wary about doing this. Even if you simply seek 'advice', and never make a claim, that will go on your file with the insurer and may well impact your next renewal premium.

No - not fair or sensible, but that's something insurance companies do!
    ** If I include a blue link in my post, click and read it before posting a follow-up question. The answer may be in the link! **
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Jan 20, 2:02 PM
    • 14,385 Posts
    • 16,806 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I'd advise you to be very wary about doing this. Even if you simply seek 'advice', and never make a claim, that will go on your file with the insurer and may well impact your next renewal premium.

No - not fair or sensible, but that's something insurance companies do!
    Originally posted by G_M
    Might be quite sensible: "We weren't previously aware that your house was at greater than average risk of having road vehicles drive into it, but thanks for letting us know - we'll make sure to adjust your future premiums accordingly..."
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jan 20, 2:21 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    AdrianC
    My brother had the developer/builder swing a skip into the corner of his house, smashed a section of render off and buckled the metal edging strip the put on the corners. Never looked right after the repair, you can still see it. Now that's a reason to still be miffed as it was ruined forever, but it's still one of those things he got over.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30
    The plasterer that repaired it could have cut the edging strip either side of the damage, and let a new section in. It's not structural, it's only there to provide a crisp corner.

Plastered well, and painted well, it should be totally invisible.
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 16th Jan 20, 10:16 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    The plasterer that repaired it could have cut the edging strip either side of the damage, and let a new section in. It's not structural, it's only there to provide a crisp corner.

Plastered well, and painted well, it should be totally invisible.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Definitely. Unfortunately they were crap builders who didn't care. The fight he had to get them back to fix the shoddy bathroom with cracked shower tray was enough hassle, let alone trying to get them back to fix the render. In the end my Dad fixed all the other things wrong with the place as it was easier and he made a far better job of it.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 16th Jan 20, 6:16 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    Shelldean
    The OP no longer exists.....they are now an archived user.

So save the replies x
    • Crumble2018
    • By Crumble2018 16th Jan 20, 6:55 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Crumble2018
    The OP no longer exists.....they are now an archived user.

So save the replies x
    Originally posted by Shelldean
    A ❄️❄️❄️ as suspected!!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Jan 20, 7:44 PM
    • 5,148 Posts
    • 8,616 Thanks
    Smodlet
    The whole compo from RM thing is pointless for all the reasons already stated and no, no-one is going to pay for hurt feelings but still... I can't believe I am saying this but I think the OP is right to feel aggrieved that their brand new, shiny house has been damaged.

I was tempted to jump on the bandwagon of the "diddums" posts but I actually remember what it was like to buy my very first piece of (to me, expensive) furniture and have it arrive damaged. It felt like a violation at the time. Now, I wonder why I don't put it on freecycle but that is not the point; once, I loved it and worked long and hard to pay for it.

I am sorry the OP has deleted their account, presumably because of the responses they received. It is so easy to be cavalier about things when you have life experience; it seems the OP does not. I hope he/she comes back at some point as there is a great deal of advice on here from which they might benefit... Yeah, that was like an out-of-body experience for me; so what?
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 27,546 Posts
    • 27,721 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I can't believe I am saying this but I think the OP is right to feel aggrieved that their brand new, shiny house has been damaged.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    If the damage was deliberate, or the result of some major negligence, rather than simply a minor moment of inattention on the part of somebody probably hurrying to get his job done, yes - absolutely.

As it is, the impact would have been so minor that it's unlikely the postie was even aware he'd clipped the wall, let alone deliberately "doing a runner".
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jan 20, 8:53 PM
    • 30,156 Posts
    • 103,667 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Fair play to the OP, most newbies come on here, get an answer they maybe don't want and flounce off in a huff.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30
    Errr.....

I was so tempted to correct their post about "ruining the most exciting milestone of my life" to 'millstone,' so I'm glad now that I resisted.
    You have been warned!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 17th Jan 20, 12:07 PM
    • 12,532 Posts
    • 33,427 Thanks
    suki1964
    A ❄️❄️❄️ as suspected!!
    Originally posted by Crumble2018
    Or perhaps feels a tad daft and embarrassed and doesn't want this thread to forever haunt them if they ever need to ask for help and advice here again?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Crumble2018
    • By Crumble2018 17th Jan 20, 12:09 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Crumble2018
    Or perhaps feels a tad daft and embarrassed and doesn't want this thread to forever haunt them if they ever need to ask for help and advice here again?
    Originally posted by suki1964

Nah - I still suspect a floucer!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter