Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Post office van drove into my brand new home - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Post office van drove into my brand new home

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
100 replies 6.7K views

Replies

• KateBobKateBob Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You've had some very good replies on here indicating you aren't due anything more as you've been put back in the same position as before the accident.

This will turn into one of those things you get to chunter about from time to time, every adult has a vault full of them.

The only point of concern for me would be, how easy is it to drive into your house? Was the Royal Mail driver visiting your home or did he manage to hit from the road?
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erb2710 wrote: »
    Thank you for all your advice.

I'm new to this forum and appreciate your help.

Something small, funny and insignificant to yourself (such as small damage) can be much more significant to someone else.
    I spent many years saving for my house deposit and I cant help to feel upset that someone drove into my hosue and then simply drove off without any due care. Yes I know that's life but I feel like it's easy to laugh at this happening to me but would you be laughing if this happened to you? I would not laugh if this happened to my neighbour. I'm very new to home ownership and was simply asking for advice.

Thanks again!

Honestly such a small brush with the wall they may not have even realised!
  • BooJewelsBooJewels Forumite
    959 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    missprice wrote: »
    :eek: is this true? What was the damage that cost so much to fix 60 years later?
    Just being very very nosy
    Yep, absolutely true - we subsequently found local press reports with photos. We knew about it anecdotally as it was common knowledge locally and a dip in the centre of the house (it's long and thin) was mentioned as being caused by this bomb, in the structural survey.

We were badly flooded and the insurer sent a structural engineer to investigate some new cracks, he asked for pointing and a couple of stones to be removed to see what was going on behind - turns out, not much. When the corner of the house was damaged, they must have just piled the stones back into the corner and pointed over them cosmetically and repaired the best they could. The wall was being held up by pointing alone (no mortar) and the outside wasn't connected to the inside and the stairs and floor joists were just resting on the pile and my central heating boiler was fixed to a board wedged between the layers. It's incomprehensibly staggering that there wasn't a mishap in the intervening years. It stood there by gravity alone for 70 years. Whoever fixed it was clearly a competent dry stone waller.
    959 posts
    ✭✭✭
    nick74 wrote: »
    I suspect the Luftwaffe's insurer may have previously agreed with the RAF's insurer to deal with the claim on a knock-for-knock basis, in view of the damage the latter did to Dresden..
    Indeed, I don't think I'd have a very strong case, should I put in a claim. :D. I think I'd also be very near the end of a very, very long queue of more worthy cases too.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The driver said he thought he hit the curb however it was about 1m high and a part of his car came off. It was just negligence as my drive is long enough for 2 -3 cars. Maybe they were in a rush.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

3 chipped bricks, all sorted now, no worries.

If that's the worst you ever have to deal with in your new home, good luck.

You may find as your new home settles you will have TW back again to sort out the problems.
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• edited 13 January 2020 at 1:22PM
    Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 January 2020 at 1:22PM
    Thank you for all your advice.

I'm new to this forum and appreciate your help.

Something small, funny and insignificant to yourself (such as small damage) can be much more significant to someone else.
    I spent many years saving for my house deposit and I cant help to feel upset that someone drove into my house and then simply drove off without any due care. Yes I know that's life but I feel like it's easy to laugh at this happening to me but would you be laughing if this happened to you? I would not laugh if this happened to my neighbour. I'm very new to home ownership and was simply asking for advice.

Thanks again!

I have had it happen, to my car pared outside, loud bang, went outside car in that caused n front smashed up, glanced atminee nothing. Went across the road to console as he was shaken up and his daughter. Looked at my car and saw a bump and smashed window, and thought oh crap, the age of the car it's a write off, had it 12 years brand new :(

I have to declare this for the 5 years since it happened on my car insurance (writing down the exact date each year ready for renewal when looking for quotes) with a premium increase.

A year after moving in my house, had a leak from the flat roof, part of being a homeowner, I also saved on my own and did my own for a deposit for the house.

That's life.
    959 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know that's life but I feel like it's easy to laugh at this happening to me but would you be laughing if this happened to you
    Actually yes, I'd probably find it hilarious.

I realise that many of us have made light of it and maybe you don't appreciate it at the moment - but as you progress through life you will encounter many knocks and setbacks and will get to learn which ones matter and those to poke fun at. This is truly the latter.

I am delighted for you that this may be all that is troubling you today - I would swap the troubles I face today with you in a heartbeat. Please see the funny side of this and move on - there may be times in your future when you will wish all you had were such minor issues to worry about - so apply some perspective and thank your lucky stars that it was 3 easily replaceable bricks and not someone you loved in the path of the vehicle. Maybe not so easily fixed.
  • Crumble2018Crumble2018 Forumite
    291 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    BooJewels wrote: »
    Actually yes, I'd probably find it hilarious.

I realise that many of us have made light of it and maybe you don't appreciate it at the moment - but as you progress through life you will encounter many knocks and setbacks and will get to learn which ones matter and those to poke fun at. This is truly the latter.

I am delighted for you that this may be all that is troubling you today - I would swap the troubles I face today with you in a heartbeat. Please see the funny side of this and move on - there may be times in your future when you will wish all you had were such minor issues to worry about - so apply some perspective and thank your lucky stars that it was 3 easily replaceable bricks and not someone you loved in the path of the vehicle. Maybe not so easily fixed.

This, 10 times over! I'm guessing that the OP is either very young, or just extremely fortunate that this is the most they have to worry about!!
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The driver said he thought he hit the curb however it was about 1m high and a part of his car came off. It was just negligence as my drive is long enough for 2 -3 cars. Maybe they were in a rush.

Your drive is long enough for 3 cars yet the post office van drove down your drive into your house?

Why was the post office van driving down your drive? Why is your house near a curb if your drive is 3 cars long? I cannot picture your house layout at all