Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 31st Dec 19, 2:30 PM
    • 1,564Posts
    • 9,208Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss 2020 - Part 1
    • 31st Dec 19, 2:30 PM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2020 - Part 1 31st Dec 19 at 2:30 PM
    Hi All

Welcome to the Old Style Weight Loss thread for quarter one 2020

Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of January until the 31st of March (14 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after on a day of your choice.

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge and importantly that includes being kind to ourselves . All hints and tips welcomed.

There are some useful links to help your weight loss journey found on the previous challenge

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5984457&page=25 :-

Please send me your targets if you are setting one and Good Luck
    Last edited by Brambling; 31-12-2019 at 3:15 PM.
Page 9
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 13th Jan 20, 10:01 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 6,073 Thanks
    Izadora
    Well done everyone on the losses, so many smiley faces is a really good start to the year.

I weighed myself this morning and am -7.5lb lighter than last Monday. It sounds really good but I think the vast majority will be the difference between what I ate last Sunday and what I ate yesterday

My dinner yesterday ended up being somewhat lighter (in food weight if not calories) than intended. I'd made sausage, mash and onions but everything had a weird, slightly perfumed, taste to it. After about the 3rd mouthful I realised that I'd made gravy in the jug that my husband had used the day before to dilute some zoflora...

The sausages were mercifully gravy free so I ate them and the rest of my dinner, and the jug, went in the bin. I may have had crisps and chocolate to take the taste away...

Best of luck everyone for the week ahead xx
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 20, 2:06 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    Brambling
    :Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2030 1st Quarter

01/01/20 - 31/03/20

Imperial (lbs). Please let me know if you want me to add a kg list as well

2goals2get2 -/21
    Balabooberlies -/14
    Bfh 1/14.
    Blue Doggie 3/14.
    Brambling 2.5/14.
    Cherry Burton -/14
    Cranky 1.5/7
    Doing it My Way 2/5.
    Dumpling 6/14
    Frith -/20
    Frugalhome -/14
    FrugalLina -/20. STS
    Gingerlily 4.5/13.
    Grunnie -/14
    Honeythewitch. 2.5/7
    Izadora 7.5/21
    Jackrabbit123 2/10.
    Lindor -/10
    Molly41 2/14.
    Mrs Motivation 1/14.
    Mummy_bear 1.5/10.
    Patentgirl 1/20
    Procrastinator 1/6.
    Rosie D -/21
    S_glover 1/14.
    Savingholmes -/14
    Schweiz -/14
    SeekingFlight 4/20
    Sirens 3/20.
    Short_bird 1/10.
    Toonie 1/10.

Kgs
    SarahJ1986 1/7.

Last edited by Brambling; 14-01-2020 at 7:54 PM.
    • Toonie
    • By Toonie 13th Jan 20, 2:12 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,794 Thanks
    Toonie
    Yesterday was a bit of an off day. Was feeling rubbish as its my time of the month but still tried to get fruit and veggies in.

B-WM Toast with a sliced tomato.
    L-Mince pie and a handful of grapes.

D-Homemade meatloaf, carrots, green beans, and sugar snap peas.
    S-Banana and a mini kinder chocolate bar.

Breakfast today was pitta bread, cheese, grapes and a tomato as no bread left. Lunch is omelette. Dinner will be leftover meatloaf and more veggies.
    • Bfh
    • By Bfh 13th Jan 20, 7:02 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Bfh
    Just lost a post so will try again.
    Sorry that I don’t reply often to individual posts - I do enjoy reading them all, but I post on my phone and it’s getting more and more fiddly to do! Think I need a new one.
    I ate too much junk yesterday and still haven’t reigned it in properly today. Annoyed with myself but I’m ready to get back on board now, and hopefully I’ll still have a small loss this week.
    Hope everyone is having a good day.
    (Poor you, Izadora with the Zoflora sausages!!!)
    • Blue Doggy
    • By Blue Doggy 13th Jan 20, 7:41 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Blue Doggy
    Good evening everyone

Bfh I know what you mean about fiddly, I get RSI if I type too much on my phone or tablet so have to limit (some may think thatís a good thing ). We all have days when junk calls too seductively to us, the main thing is not to let it derail the whole effort.

Toonie very well done on eating healthily in spite of feeling rubbish.

Izadora wow! just wow! on that amazing weight loss .
    Maybe the zoflora diet is the way to go Iíve got a bottle .... (Thinks: cauliflower in a zoflora cheese sauce; lentil dal with spicy zoflora; etc etc.)

Seeking flight, dumpling well done on your weight loss, and on being brave enough to get the scales mended! Dumpling I hope your visitors brought you joy instead of stress.

Patentgirl very well done on completing your parkrun

Just wondering, has anyone been sponsored (at any time, not just now) to lose weight? If so, did you get an independent verification of your start and end weights? Iím thinking of trying to raise some money for a charitable cause, and trying to work out the hows and whats. It will also give me extra motivation, so win-win.

Dishes of the day were:
    B: bacon and eggs
    L: cold roast lamb with salad of chicory and beetroot, tangerine
    D: steamed salmon with stir-fried veg (carrot, onion, celery, and Brussels sprouts), cinnamon yogurt
    S: none
    The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 20, 7:42 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    Brambling
    Wow some big numbers in today's weigh ins. well done all

I'm sorry Izadora I had to laugh at the zoflora at least one advantage of living alone

Work was a bit blah with nothing going right, so biscuits appeared on the table after lunch, I did succumb but only to one .

The weather is getting rough outside so I'm glad I'm not going out, just hoping the flickering lights won't get more serious, candles and matches have been put in a obviously place. I fear by mini greenhouse may end up blown over

B - stewed apples and plums with FF Greek yoghurt
    L - HM celery soup. Melon and pineapple
    D - a large plate of left over vegetables
    S - chocolate biscuit
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 13th Jan 20, 8:26 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 7,458 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Weekend catch up
    Sat no B no lunch but eve was a carb fest lots of party sandwiches and quiches plus a couple of prosecco for toasting. Lots of dancing.

Sun
    B. Blueberry yogurt with fresh blueberries and raspberries.
    Veggie sausages, scrambled eggs, beans, mushrooms and tomato.
    Black coffee.
    Lunch. stilton and mushroom pie, mash and roast potatoes, yorkie pud, cabbage, peas and carrots. Plus small glass red wine,
    D. handful nuts. Water to drink.

Today
    coffee and water
    L. small advocado, tomato, brazil nuts. Small pear.
    D. sausage casserole with cabbage.

Out for a walk to town today, so good as far as exercise, but went via poundland where I found a chocolate bargain. 2 duo bars bought, intention one a day treat. Unfortunately now all gone, so that's it, my will is non existant no more treats.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 13th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    Brambling
    Blue Doggy many years ago one of my sisters did a sponsored weight loss I think her manager witnessed her weight in, maybe ask if the nurse at your doctors surgery could weigh and record it for you?
    • FrugalLina
    • By FrugalLina 13th Jan 20, 9:29 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 4,187 Thanks
    FrugalLina
    Wow, well done on the great weight losses everyone!

I weighed this morning and can report a STS, to be honest, I am relieved I haven't gained this week.

My cold has eased up a lot, although my asthma and a lingering cough are still with me.

Sorry to be absent from the forum for a day or two, we have had a loss in the family and although it isn't someone I am close to, the ripples have impacted me somewhat. We are in that horrible limbo period and I am having to fill in/be there for those who are feeling the loss.

Anyway, I hope everyone is safe from the horrible weather, my chimney is making some very strange noises!
    31.5/100
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 14th Jan 20, 7:22 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Morning All

Some brilliant losses, not sure if I'm willing to go the route of the Zoflora gravy diets just yet though

Sorry to hear you are still under the weather, and about your family loss FrugalLina xx

Wow that weather was pretty rough, I was very windswept and wet on my way home from work yesterday, thankfully it is bin day today so all my bins are too heavy to blow over

Yesterday was pretty awful at work, I was on my own for a lot of the day and trying to serve numerous customers at once is hard work, by the time we were shut my back and shoulders were very painful. I was quite amazed I didn't devour the left over chocolate!

Yesterday
    B porridge, berries, milk/water
    L chicken tikka, rice, pear
    D cheeseburger soup, melon

Today will be
    B porridge, berries, milk/water
    L campfire stew and couscous, pear
    D jacket pot, beans and cheese

Watch out for the wind everyone, stay safe and have a good day x
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS 7.5/20
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 14th Jan 20, 10:31 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 6,073 Thanks
    Izadora
    Morning All,

Toonie I hope you're feeling less rubbish now and well done for getting the veggies in. If I manage to eat anything other than carbs and chocolate at that time of the month it's a miracle.

Bfh I find posting at all on my phone really difficult, let alone trying to format anything so I don't blame you. I hope you're having a better day today.

Blue Doggy I've never done a sponsored weight loss but I presume it would be easy enough to set up as long as there's someone that you're happy to have verifying your weight. Then you would need to decide whether to get people to sponsor by the lb lost or an overall amount for hitting a target weight. It would definitely work as a good incentive to keep going.

Brambling Very well done on sticking to just one biscuit and I hope the weather didn't get any worse.

Procrastinator Damn the shops and their chocolate bargains, at least they're not there to tempt you anymore.

Frugalina Sorry for your loss. Even if it doesn't affect you too much personally it's still hard to deal with other family members who have been more affected.

Sirens Well done for not succumbing to chocolate after a hideous day at work. I would probably have convinced myself that I'd definitely burnt off enough extra calories to justify it.

I forgot to log food yesterday but it was fruit, yoghurt and bran flakes for breakfast, Quorn peppered steaks in a seeded wrap for lunch and bubble&squeak for dinner. All zoflora-free as well

I'm working from home today, which always makes sensible eating harder but food should go something like this:

B - fruit, yoghurt & bran flakes
    L - Maybe soup and salad
    D - Rice-stuffed pepper and tomato

Best of luck everyone xx
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 14th Jan 20, 3:52 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 2,723 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Hello all

Popping in to say I’ll weigh myself next week. My husband had the time off and it’s our girls birthday tomorrow so understandably not only have I been a bit piggy but I won’t have time to weigh myself (I use the chemist scales) so I will weigh myself next week

xxx
    • jackrabbit123
    • By jackrabbit123 14th Jan 20, 6:14 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    jackrabbit123
    Evening all,
    Well what an eventful day/morning that was with the weather, got home after work yesterday only to find the house in total darkness, (DH and DS have gone to see family I couldn't get anytime off, so at least they are warm and fed and back on Friday) the wind had put the power out across the valley, so I had some pickled herrings and a yoghurt and read in bed with light of a candle! Luckily it came back on for the morning so this evening meal is chicken fyitas (something hot!!) and left over mince pie!! There is a silver lining with aid of a torch I was able to weigh myself - Sorry Brambling forgot to say Monday will be my weigh day!! I've lost a grand total of 2lb!! the joy of old fashioned scales , no batteries!!
    FrugaLina, so sorry for your loss, a be it not direct family it's still difficult to deal with.
    Sarahj, Hope your wee girl has a lovely Birthday tomorrow.
    Izadora, Maybe your DH has found a new Zoflora recipe concoction...!!
    • Blue Doggy
    • By Blue Doggy 14th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 5,118 Thanks
    Blue Doggy
    Good evening everyone

Brambling thank you. I was thinking of health centre nurse or local pharmacy, but unsure if theyíd agree to do it. I think I might get in touch with the health centre.

Procrastinator your party sounds fun. Chocolate-pushers are lying in wait for us everywhere with their temptations.

FrugalLina Iím sorry for your family loss, best wishes to you and your loved ones.
    Well done on STS inspite of the upheaval, and I hope your health improves soon.

SIRENS your work day sounds really horrible, so extra kudos to you for not eating the lo chocolate. I hope the rest of the week will be better.

Izadora thank you, I think I might offer sponsors the choice of paying either by the pound or by the hitting of the target. Itíll certainly be an incentive.

Sarahj best wishes for your daughterís birthday.

Jackrabbit well done on the loss I hope your power has stayed on today. How dependent we are on a steady supply for all sorts of things.

As for most people, itís been a very blustery, wet and dark day here. Itís just a pity we canít send it over to Oz where they need it.

Todayís menu:
    B: porridge made with water
    L: was going to be ham salad, but because the weather was so miserable it became ham omelette with mixed veg and a tangerine
    D: sausages with a saved portion of tomatoes & beans, cinnamon yogurt
    S: one chocolate biscuit (visited a friend.)
    The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 14th Jan 20, 8:09 PM
    • 1,564 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    Brambling
    Well done Jackrabbit

Sorry for your loss FrugalLina and well done for a STS when you've haven't been well, take care of that cough with your asthma you don't want it to end up on your chest

Blue Doggie ask the receptionist if they will weigh and record it for you if you don't want to disturb the nurse, they should be happy to encourage weigh loss

Weather wise today has been worst than yesterday and the trip home wasn't fun with the local radio warning of flooding and trees down my sister texted be with a fallen tree warning on my route home, so there was some decisions made about which way was going to cause least damage. I may find a excuse to work from home tomorrow as it's due to rain heavily all night.

Food wise hasn't been too bad other than a chocolate biscuit at work, but they're all gone now

B - fruit and yogurt
    L - Left over vegetables and venison from the weekend
    D - gammon, egg and airfried chips
    S - chocolate biscuits
    , pineapple and melon
    • FrugalLina
    • By FrugalLina 14th Jan 20, 9:58 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 4,187 Thanks
    FrugalLina
    Thanks everyone for the good wishes about the family loss, it is hard seeing those around me suffer and everyone seems to want to talk things out at the moment, so I am just letting them do that.

Sorry about yesterday's workday, Sirens, that does sound a bit tough. You did well not to hit the chocolate. I hope your back and shoulders have recovered.

Izadora, I hope you managed to stick to your intended food today, despite being at home. I tend to find the kitchen calling me more when I am at home too much. I think it is boredom in my case.

Happy birthday to your girls for tomorrow, Sarahj1986, I hope you all have a lovely time celebrating.

Woo-hoo - well done jackrabbit, that is a great loss this week and I am glad your power was restored by the morning and you had a hot meal this evening.

Thanks BlueDoggy, we are all coping here. I agree about the weather, it is awful and yes, I am sure Australia would love the rain over there.

Brambling, yes, work from home tomorrow and keep out of the way of harm. It has been miserable today, but at least the wind has died down now (well according to my musical chimney it has anyway).

I've had to stay on track foodwise today because I am doing my own store cupboard challenge, where I don't buy any groceries until the 20th January and things are getting a bit lean around here. I am still eating healthily, but it is a rather strange hotch-potch of things at this stage - scurvy has been averted by my BiL bringing me back a big baggy of kiwis from the tree at the house in France. Only 6 more days to go before I can do a grocery shop!

I will be offline tomorrow as I am on a road trip all day, but will try to pop in on Thursday.

Keep up the good work everyone!
    31.5/100
    • Bfh
    • By Bfh 15th Jan 20, 6:11 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Bfh
    Just popping in to log an STS for this week.
    Frustrating, but it’s my own fault, and it’s better than a gain, I suppose.
    Have a good day, all.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 15th Jan 20, 7:27 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    s_glover
    I've not been around much the last week as it's been all go here with redecoration of our main bedroom and another bedroom.

The end of last week continued as bad as the start in terms of self control. Before embarking on painting our bedroom at the weekend we started with parkrun onSaturday morning, which was pretty tough but to be expected after all I'd eaten in the last week!

I'm off work this week, partly project managing the various trades doing work in our bedroom and also stripping wallpaper in another bedroom and painting some cupboards a local joiner made. It's keeping me busy and out of the way of food and keeping me more active than sitting at my desk, which seems to be working as despite last week I've lost 3 lbs this week.

I'm hoping this week will put me back in the right frame of mind for continuing the good work.
    I've been considering signing up for spinning locally for ages, but haven't taken the plunge as it's quite pricey. I have however taken them up on their new year offer of unlimited rides for 30 days for £20. I'm booked on a class next Tuesday evening. I love spinning and have done lots in the past but it's a good few years!
    • Miss Behaving
    • By Miss Behaving 15th Jan 20, 9:46 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Miss Behaving
    Good morning all, Iíve just seen this thread and would love to join if youíll have me 🙂. Iíve challenged myself to lose at least 20lbs this year so would love to start by losing 7lbs this quarter.

I need to be accountable to someone as I work from home and it is so easy to raid the fridge or food cupboards if I want to avoid doing something or Iím bored. I can easily eat my body weight in Jelly Tots when I want to avoid doing our VAT return 🤣. I looked at WW online but donít want to pay the £13.95 a month 😲

Well done to everyone who has lost weight so far!
    Some people stir up a storm then wonder why it rains on them.

January Grocery Challenge £228.80/£300
    • FrugalLina
    • By FrugalLina 15th Jan 20, 10:09 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 4,187 Thanks
    FrugalLina
    You are right Bfh, a STS is certainly better than a gain, so well done!

S-glover - woohoo! 3lbs off, that is fantastic. I love spinning classes too, but haven't been to one since moving away from my lovely local gym (300miles away, sniff) and haven't tried them at my current gym. We used to have a good laugh and really got a good workout in. The 30 days for £20 is a bargain.

Welcome Miss Behaving - I much prefer this thread than attending expensive online or real-time weight loss groups, I would rather be shedding weight pounds than sterling pounds. Good luck with those VAT returns (ugh)!

I am off on my travels shortly, will try and pop by later today or tomorrow.
    31.5/100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

24Posts Today

4,448Users online

Martin's Twitter