Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 10th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 204Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Getting ready to install SSD
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    Getting ready to install SSD 10th Jul 18 at 7:29 PM
    Please see my previous thread - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859010

As a result of this, using the link helpfully given by EveryWhere, I have ordered and expect delivery of an SSD in the next few days to fit to my Toshiba L830 laptop.

In the few days before the SSD arrives I shall be most appreciative of any advice regarding what I can do, and have ready in advance, to prepare for installing the SSD and being able to use my laptop with Windows (8.1 is on the present laptop) afterwards.

I have, as advised, created the three Toshiba Recovery Media DVD's. I have the 'key' to install Microsoft Office - the one used on my present Toshiba laptop.

Any advice to help me to prepare in advance will be appreciated, thank you.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 10-07-2018 at 7:51 PM.
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 11,231 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    FYI

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859010
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 10th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 7:53 PM

Thanks very much for putting the correct link, neilmcl - I have copied it to correct my post above.

Retired at 55
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 6,044 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    If you want to carry on using your existing Windows installation, you'll need to clone the drive with an imaging tool (such as Macrium Reflect Free). IIRC, you'll need the largest capacity drive in the PC (probably the HDD that's already in there) and connect the smaller (SSD?) drive via USB. (Otherwise any imagine program will display an error message).

Alternatively, you could just install the SSD, then a clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD.
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 10th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 8:48 PM
    If you want to carry on using your existing Windows installation, you'll need to clone the drive with an imaging tool (such as Macrium Reflect Free). IIRC, you'll need the largest capacity drive in the PC (probably the HDD that's already in there) and connect the smaller (SSD?) drive via USB. (Otherwise any imagine program will display an error message).

Alternatively, you could just install the SSD, then a clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD.
    Originally posted by esuhl

Thanks for replying, esuhl. I'm not good technically and the second suggestion "Clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD" sounds as if it would be the easier option or me."

I think I have the correct Product Key and I have a Product ID Number.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 10-07-2018 at 9:51 PM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 11,231 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    Thanks for replying, esuhl. I'm not good technically and the second suggestion "Clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD" sounds as if it would be the easier option or me."

Retired at 55
    Originally posted by Retired at 55
    Actually, cloning the disk is probably the easiest/quickest solution. However, a clean install would mean you get rid of any rubbish that's on your drive currently and possibly a good idea to update from windows 8.1 to win 10.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 10-07-2018 at 10:11 PM.
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    Actually, cloning the disk is probably the easiest/quickest solution.
    Originally posted by neilmcl

Thanks again neilmcl.

I need to do more homework to understand better what this means: '.... clone the drive with an imaging tool (such as Macrium Reflect Free). IIRC, you'll need the largest capacity drive in the PC (probably the HDD that's already in there) and connect the smaller (SSD?) drive via USB.'

I have time to learn and have already benefited a lot from help on this Techie Stuff Forum. If the clean install would get rid of rubbish that would be good. - and look at Windows 10 as that is another option you suggest, thank you.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 10-07-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 11th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    If you want to be sure re the product key you could run this Nirsoft utility.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    If you want to be sure re the product key you could run this Nirsoft utility.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    Originally posted by Neil49
    Thanks Neil49 - I'll try that. - Your link was very helpful and I was able to see the Product Keys straight away from both Windows and Microsoft Office - thank you again.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 11-07-2018 at 5:52 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Jul 18, 10:36 AM
    • 16,932 Posts
    • 10,063 Thanks
    motorguy

Retired at 55
    I'm a fan of doing a fresh reinstall on to a new disk.

Win10 makes that a doddle these days and it gets rid of all the garbage on your current machine while its at it.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Jul 18, 1:20 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Been there, done that... took about an hour.

I bought an SSD from Crucial and a USB "caddy" from them to use both drives together. Crucial supply a cut down version of Acronis backup software with their SSD drives, which allows you to copy, say, a 500GB spinning rust disk to a 250GB SSD provided you haven't used more than 250GB of the original disk. If you check their web site (http://www.crucial.com) there are instruction videos showing how to swap over drives, clone one to another, etc.

While the clone process is quick and easy, as others mentioned you will still have years of junk slowing your new setup down. Perhaps the ideal way is to clone the disk to ensure everything works, then do a fresh installation.

I'm in the process of swapping my main PC over and it takes ages to install every program you need, unless you are just using it for basic office/web stuff.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    • 3,197 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Shouldn't need to enter a product key for Windows 10 if you've already got an activated installation and actually the installer has a clickable link under the box where you enter it during setup which it tells you to click on if you're just reinstalling. You then have to select the correct version of Windows 10 to install (probably Home) and when you go online it'll automatically activate fine.
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 11th Jul 18, 5:55 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Thank you very much for all these helpful replies. I'm hoping the SSD will arrive tomorrow - although I won't really have time to attempt the clean install straight away.

The incentive is there and all the help (and links etc.) are really appreciated, thank you.

Retired at 55
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Shouldn't need to enter a product key for Windows 10 if you've already got an activated installation and actually the installer has a clickable link under the box where you enter it during setup which it tells you to click on if you're just reinstalling. You then have to select the correct version of Windows 10 to install (probably Home) and when you go online it'll automatically activate fine.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    It's running Windows 8.1, not Windows 10.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 18, 12:52 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thank you very much for all these helpful replies. I'm hoping the SSD will arrive tomorrow - although I won't really have time to attempt the clean install straight away.

The incentive is there and all the help (and links etc.) are really appreciated, thank you.

Retired at 55
    Think about which OS you like to install in the first instance; Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 and then we will proceed accordingly.

For Windows 8 or 10; Before you remove the old drive, we will take a snapshot of your Windows 8.1 activation.
    This will allow us to install Windows 10 Home directly to the Toshiba, without needing to re-install Windows 8/8.1 beforehand.

The other 'orthodox' option, is to use the Toshiba Recovery Media that you created, to restore the machine's original factory install of Windows 8. Then it would need to be upgraded to Windows 8.1 Update 3 if you prefer to utilise Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10.

But if you are happy to move to Windows 10, then perhaps better to skip the installation of Windows 8 altogether.

You might also have the option of installing Windows 7 if you prefer, instead of Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.
    We can check if that is possible beforehand.
    Some people prefer it, especially as then they don't need to deal with Windows 10 feature updates.
    Though even with Windows 7 installed, you'll still have the option to move to Windows 10 Pro at no extra cost. Pro helps you to postpone the Windows 10 feature updates that irk so many.. This is the option that I would choose.
    You won't need to do any of the above if you decide to go for Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
    Though perhaps later if you want to move from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro

Also, take note of the exact edition of Microsoft Office. e.g. Microsoft Office Home & Student 2016. Unless you have the original Office CD, we may need to download it.

So, in order to take a snapshot of the machine's licence/activation(if going directly to Windows 10), we need to create Windows 10 installation media;
    Found here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    You will need a USB Flash drive of at least 8 GB capacity. Do you have one to hand?
    If so, click on Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC

If you don't have one, this will do; https://www.mymemory.co.uk/emtec-8gb-usb-superman-flash-drive-18mb-s.html

Also you'll need to pick a USB caddy in which to put your old hard drive, turning it into external storage; https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/2-5-hdd-caddy Pick one that states USB 3.0. Price around 5 to 6.

There's enough there for you for now.

Next will be how to take a snapshot of the licence/activation(if going straight to Windows 10).

Once all is prepared, we'll get to the relatively easy job of swapping the drive and installing the operating system.
    Think about which OS you like to install in the first instance; Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 and then we will proceed accordingly.

Quite a bit to digest there.
    Have a read and ask if you get stuck.
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 12th Jul 18, 6:24 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55

For Windows 8 or 10; Before you remove the old drive, we will take a snapshot of your Windows 8.1 activation.
    This will allow us to install Windows 10 Home directly to the Toshiba, without needing to re-install Windows 8/8.1 beforehand.

The other 'orthodox' option, is to use the Toshiba Recovery Media that you created, to restore the machine's original factory install of Windows 8. Then it would need to be upgraded to Windows 8.1 Update 3 if you prefer to utilise Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10.

But if you are happy to move to Windows 10, then perhaps better to skip the installation of Windows 8 altogether.

You might also have the option of installing Windows 7 if you prefer, instead of Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.
    We can check if that is possible beforehand.
    Some people prefer it, especially as then they don't need to deal with Windows 10 feature updates.
    Though even with Windows 7 installed, you'll still have the option to move to Windows 10 Pro at no extra cost. Pro helps you to postpone the Windows 10 feature updates that irk so many.. This is the option that I would choose.
    You won't need to do any of the above if you decide to go for Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
    Though perhaps later if you want to move from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Pro

Also, take note of the exact edition of Microsoft Office. e.g. Microsoft Office Home & Student 2016. Unless you have the original Office CD, we may need to download it.

So, in order to take a snapshot of the machine's licence/activation(if going directly to Windows 10), we need to create Windows 10 installation media;
    Found here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    You will need a USB Flash drive of at least 8 GB capacity. Do you have one to hand?
    If so, click on Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC

If you don't have one, this will do; https://www.mymemory.co.uk/emtec-8gb-usb-superman-flash-drive-18mb-s.html

Also you'll need to pick a USB caddy in which to put your old hard drive, turning it into external storage; https://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/2-5-hdd-caddy Pick one that states USB 3.0. Price around 5 to 6.

There's enough there for you for now.

Next will be how to take a snapshot of the licence/activation(if going straight to Windows 10).

Once all is prepared, we'll get to the relatively easy job of swapping the drive and installing the operating system.

Quite a bit to digest there.
    Have a read and ask if you get stuck.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

Thank you very much indeed for such a long detailed, hugely helpful reply. The SSD did not come today although I'm not in any hurry - it has been dispatched by MyMemory and should be here soon.

Yes - thank you for highlighting that I have Windows 8.1 at present. (The refurbished Dell Laptop has Windows 7 Professional on it.) I know I have to move with the times but, for now - and unless it really is a major retrograde step, I really would like to stay with Windows 8.1 as I am most familiar with it. I have Classic Shell on it and that probably reflects my 'need' to stick with what is familiar.

I have an old version of Microsoft Office - still working well for me and it is Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 with the Product Key and the Product ID - on a label I have stuck to the bottom of my Toshiba laptop!

On the same label I have put the Product Key for Windows 8.1 - and there is another long number which ends in AAOEM - (I checked using the link helpfully given by Neil49 in Post # 8 above.) I don't have any CD's - apart from the three System Recovery ones I prepared - as advised.

Although it is a lot to digest I am most appreciative of all this help and advice - and the time given to keep me on track. Once I send this post I shall use the links you have given (thank you again) to order the 8 GB USB flash drive from MyMemory and will order the USB Caddy from eBay.

Many thanks again.

(Update - 2012 hrs - I have ordered the USB from My Memory and this Flash Drive from eBay - Sata External HDD 2.5 inch USB 3 Hard Drive Enclosure Disk Drive Case Caddy UK.)

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 12-07-2018 at 8:13 PM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 18, 8:35 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Thank you very much indeed for such a long detailed, hugely helpful reply. The SSD did not come today although I'm not in any hurry - it has been dispatched by MyMemory and should be here soon.

Yes - thank you for highlighting that I have Windows 8.1 at present. (The refurbished Dell Laptop has Windows 7 Professional on it.) I know I have to move with the times but, for now - and unless it really is a major retrograde step, I really would like to stay with Windows 8.1 as I am most familiar with it. I have Classic Shell on it and that probably reflects my 'need' to stick with what is familiar.

I have an old version of Microsoft Office - still working well for me and it is Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 with the Product Key and the Product ID - on a label I have stuck to the bottom of my Toshiba laptop!

On the same label I have put the Product Key for Windows 8.1 - and there is another long number which ends in AAOEM - (I checked using the link helpfully given by Neil49 in Post # 8 above.) I don't have any CD's - apart from the three System Recovery ones I prepared - as advised.

Although it is a lot to digest I am most appreciative of all this help and advice - and the time given to keep me on track. Once I send this post I shall use the links you have given (thank you again) to order the 8 GB USB flash drive from MyMemory and will order the USB Caddy from eBay.

Many thanks again.

(Update - 1940 hrs - I have ordered the USB from My Memory and tried to order this Flash Drive from eBay - Sata External HDD 2.5 inch USB 3 Hard Drive Enclosure Disk Drive Case Caddy UK: For some reason the order did not go through so I'll try again later or on Monday: )

Retired at 55

If you want to stick with what you know and you have put Classic Shell on Windows 8, then why not just install Windows 7 Professional in the first place??

From whence did you obtain a key for Windows 8.1? Your laptop came replete with Windows 8, not 8.1. You had to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. So your key is for Windows 8, though it will work to activate Windows 8.1

Personally I would go for either Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Your Recovery DVDs will restore the laptop to Windows 8. Then you would need to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Laborious.
    Of course we can obtain Windows 8.1 November update media and clean install that to the SSD.
    But if we are going to do that, then perhaps better to go for Windows 7 Professional and then since it's now perhaps just a back up machine, use it to test Windows 10 Pro in due time.
    I'm posting from a Windows 7 machine, so choose the OS that you actually want to use since you may be in the unique position to install any one of three.

But let's check if you can; Download, save and then run(By right clicking on the downloaded file and choosing Run as Administrator) this software Once the interface has opened click on the Advanced tab.

Should look like this;

What does yours state under Status?
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 12th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    If you want to stick with what you know and you have put Classic Shell on Windows 8, then why not just install Windows 7 Professional in the first place??

From whence did you obtain a key for Windows 8.1? Your laptop came replete with Windows 8, not 8.1. You had to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. So your key is for Windows 8, though it will work to activate Windows 8.1

Personally I would go for either Windows 7 or Windows 10.

Your Recovery DVDs will restore the laptop to Windows 8. Then you would need to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Laborious.
    Of course we can obtain Windows 8.1 November update media and clean install that to the SSD.
    But if we are going to do that, then perhaps better to go for Windows 7 Professional and then since it's now perhaps just a back up machine, use it to test Windows 10 Pro in due time.
    I'm posting from a Windows 7 machine, so choose the OS that you actually want to use since you may be in the unique position to install any one of three.

But let's check if you can; Download, save and then run(By right clicking on the downloaded file and choosing Run as Administrator) this software Once the interface has opened click on the Advanced tab.

Should look like this;

What does yours state under Status?
    I hope this makes sense - although I'm beginning to doubt myself. My Toshiba laptop came witk Windows 8 and at some point, maybe prompted on line, I followed a link to update to Windows 8.1 but I can't remember when I put Classic Shell on. I can't remember where I got the 8.1 Key although when I followed the link Neil49 gave - it was the same number.

Tomorrow I'll try the download you suggest to see what I find.and post again.

Thank you for giving this your time - very much appreciated.

Retired at 55
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 18, 10:27 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I hope this makes sense - although I'm beginning to doubt myself. My Toshiba laptop came witk Windows 8 and at some point, maybe prompted on line, I followed a link to update to Windows 8.1 but I can't remember when I put Classic Shell on. I can't remember where I got the 8.1 Key although when I followed the link Neil49 gave - it was the same number.

Tomorrow I'll try the download you suggest to see what I find.and post again.

Thank you for giving this your time - very much appreciated.

Retired at 55
    Either way, if you have the key to hand it can do no harm. it might even work to install Windows 10 directly. Classic Shell works for Windows 10 too.
    • Retired at 55
    • By Retired at 55 13th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Retired at 55
    Either way, if you have the key to hand it can do no harm. it might even work to install Windows 10 directly. Classic Shell works for Windows 10 too.

I'll follow your advice (I don't trust my own - not technically at any rate!) and, if it is possible, try for Windows 10.

USB 8 GB and the Caddy are on their way.

From Dell laptop under Status it says: Dump OK ! ( DELLCBX3_V2.1 )

and From Toshiba laptop under Status it says: Dump Error ! (RSD PTR Not found ! )

I tried again clicking run as administrator - and the Advanced Window 'Stuck on 'Dumping SLIC Data now . Please Wait ...'

I'll try again a bit later to see if I can get the correct information from the download on Toshiba. (Update - tried again, several times, - up to 10.8 am) as administrator and, unfortunately it gives the same result.)

My female non technical brain is spinning a bit - although I am eager to go ahead with this and value all the help I am being given, thank you.

Retired at 55
    Last edited by Retired at 55; 13-07-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,032Posts Today

8,421Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin