Getting ready to install SSD

Options

Comments

• Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2018 at 10:27AM
    Options
    From EveryWhere post #30 ".... Once you've copied the data to the DELL, you can move forward with creating the Windows 10 media on the 8 GB USB Flash drive.. We'll take a snapshot of your activation status in case you want to clean install Windows 10 later."

Although the 8 GB USB had arrived from 'MyMemory,' one of my friends from yesterday evening gave me a 16 GB USB - she had bought a pack of three and very kindly gave me a spare one.

The Windows 10 installation media has fully downloaded on to the USB on Dell laptop.

I used the link you gave at Post #15, EveryWhere, and put the bigger USB stick in.

I am not sure how to find the Key to take a Snapshot - although at least I now, thanks to your links, know how to take a Snapshot on my laptop.

Would I be safe, now, to use the You Tube link you gave (I feel I am as familiar with it now as I can be) to install the new SSD on the Toshiba laptop?

Thank you again for all this help.

Retired at 55
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    From EveryWhere post #30 ".... Once you've copied the data to the DELL, you can move forward with creating the Windows 10 media on the 8 GB USB Flash drive.. We'll take a snapshot of your activation status in case you want to clean install Windows 10 later."

Although the 8 GB USB had arrived from 'MyMemory,' one of my friends from yesterday evening gave me a 16 GB USB - she had bought a pack of three and very kindly gave me a spare one.

The Windows 10 installation media has fully downloaded on to the USB on Dell laptop.

I used the link you gave at Post #15, EveryWhere, and put the bigger USB stick in.

I am not sure how to find the Key to take a Snapshot - although at least I now, thanks to your links, know how to take a Snapshot on my laptop.

Would I be safe, now, to use the You Tube link you gave (I feel I am as familiar with it now as I can be) to install the new SSD on the Toshiba laptop?

Thank you again for all this help.

Retired at 55

To take a snapshot of the activation/licence for possible installation of Windows 10 later, you plug the Windows 10 installation media in to the laptop. Once it is recognised and creates a Drive letter;

3.png

Double click on the drive letter and then further on the Sources folder;

gatherosstate.png

There you will see a file named gatherosstate. Right click on that file and choose Copy.

Paste it on to the Desktop of the Toshiba. Then right click on the gatherosstate file you have copied to the Toshiba and choose Run As Administrator. The program will run and produce a file named GenuineTicket.
    Make a copy of that GenuineTicket file and keep it safe someone.

Now you can fit the SSD.
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    Re post #33, EveryWhere. I have done, to the best of my ability, everything you have suggested, thanks. I have kept the file safe by emailing it to myself as well as copying it to the USB.

I'll have a wee break now and, very soon, I'll watch the YouTube again and, with it open on the Dell Laptop - I'll install the SSD on the Toshiba.

I would never have come this far without all your help - can hardly thank you enough.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 17 July 2018 at 7:17PM
    Options
    Re post #33, EveryWhere. I have done, to the best of my ability, everything you have suggested, thanks. I have kept the file safe by emailing it to myself as well as copying it to the USB.

I'll have a wee break now and, very soon, I'll watch the YouTube again and, with it open on the Dell Laptop - I'll install the SSD on the Toshiba.

I would never have come this far without all your help - can hardly thank you enough.

Retired at 55

I thought I had fitted the SSD correctly, following the YouTube closely. On switching on a Window says No bootable device - please restart system. I switched off and put the first of the three recovery DVDs in.

I had no success trying and by 7.15 pm decided to remove the DVD. I'll be glad of your help, thank you.

Retired at 55
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi, if you are attempting recovery from your 3xDVD to your Toshiba (L830), the manual is here
    http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1023056637.pdf

And if you cannot access this... the key part is...page 104 (having trouble copying the pdf)

DiYBK7dXcAU0wve.jpg
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 18 July 2018 at 10:31AM
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Hi, if you are attempting recovery from your 3xDVD to your Toshiba (L830), the manual is here
    http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1023056637.pdf

And if you cannot access this... the key part is...page 104 (having trouble copying the pdf)

DiYBK7dXcAU0wve.jpg
    Thank you very much indeed for this, grumpycrab. My non technical brain was a bit worn out by yesterday evening! I'll take time to go through all the information and the links you have given.

As you can see, EveryWhere has given great help and I, somehow, wonder if this temporary hiccough of me not being able to 'boot' with the new SSD is down to something I have overlooked. I have been doing my best to follow all the instructions and I am not sure exactly what I should be doing next regarding the DVDs etc.

I'm glad of all this help and, slowly and bit by bit, I am sure I am learning, thank you. I'll be out for a bit today but intend to give this more time later as I'm eager to progress, thanks.

Retired at 55.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I, somehow, wonder if this temporary hiccough of me not being able to 'boot' with the new SSD
    I believe the SSD is empty (tell me if I'm wrong) so you cannot boot from it; you're booting from your recovery DVD(disk number 1 first) which will in turn recover Windows8 to your SSD. Then is should be bootable.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    "I believe the SSD is empty (tell me if I'm wrong) so you cannot boot from it; you're booting from your recovery DVD(disk number 1 first) which will in turn recover Windows8 to your SSD. Then is should be bootable."

Yes that's right, grumpycrab. I ordered the SSD using the helpful link given by EveryWhere and, following EveryWhere's instructions was able to use DVDs to make the Recovery ones (3.)

I'v not managed to go through all the information in your helpful post but, when I get back in later, I hope to look into it, thank you.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 18 July 2018 at 5:11PM
    Options
    I am delighted to say that the SSD installed correctly after all, thank you.

I used the three DVDs EveryWhere advised for Recovery Media and the instructions from grumpycrab when I was stuck at the end.

For now I'll put Firefox on and Thunderbird for emails and that will get me going until the next step. It seems to have loaded Windows 8 and I think, Everywhere's good advice/guidance, the other DVD Windows 8.1_Englishx64.iso should put all my other details on.

I don't know how to do that. For now I am just so pleased that the SSD is in - and working - completely as a result of the excellent help given.

It is all so very much appreciated. When I move on to the next step (I have kept safely the documents and items as advised by EveryWhere) it will be more homework and more learning but, for now, I'm just so pleased with this great success.

Thank you again.

Retired at 55
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I had fitted the SSD correctly, following the YouTube closely. On switching on a Window says No bootable device - please restart system. I switched off and put the first of the three recovery DVDs in.

I had no success trying and by 7.15 pm decided to remove the DVD. I'll be glad of your help, thank you.

Retired at 55

Actually, you weren't going to use those Recovery DVDs, as they only install Windows 8 and not 8.1. In addition it also installs all of the the unnecessary Toshiba software that contributes to the slowing down of your machine.
    We were to install Windows 8.1 Update 3 by utilising the Win8.1_EnglishInternational_x64 DVD

Seems that you jumped the gun a bit. :)

Put the old HDD in the caddy. It can only slot in one way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGVUZBTja8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport