Tesco Scan n Shop - random checks

Options
Not really a rant, more of a query to see if anyone with some inside knowledge is lurking.....

I am registered with 3 supermarkets on their version of scan and shop and use them all equally.

On the last 3 visits to Tesco, I was "selected" twice for a random verification of my shopping. I fully understand that random checks are necessary to put off any dodgy characters from slipping in a few free kippers, so the principle is no problem. But it's a bit of a pain as they scan nearly every item so it makes using the service slower than going to a checkout.

On the first occasion 2 weeks ago I had about £60 of shopping. Earlier this week about £30, then today £32. Today I was selected again. On no occasion have they ever found an item that I hadn't scanned, so a 100% clean record. So no idea why I was chosen today so soon after "passing" a previous check, and neither did the shop assistant who did the checking. No single item was over £4.50.

Anyone know their algorithm?

PS Never been selected at the other 2 supermarkets I use.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only checks, including this morning, I have had is for 5 items. Never seen a "scan nearly every item" being done. I have had a couple of consecutive shop checks though.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I gave up on Tesco's scan and shop because I was selected every time, now I just through the checkouts, even for 1 item.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • billn
    billn Posts: 318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as I can see it is completely random, I was once checked and I only had 3 items so they couldn't check 5 items as usual, when I joked with the assistant she said it happens a lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My local one told me most checks are done in morning when its less busy, and it does seem I get checked more often in morning after school run than any other time
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,264 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It will also depend on how many people have used/are using it.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Whether or not you get picked is random but if the Tesco employee has some concerns about the shopper they can subtly press a button on the terminal which makes them scans every item.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    Whether or not you get picked is random but if the Tesco employee has some concerns about the shopper they can subtly press a button on the terminal which makes them scans every item.

Not noticed that - please see my other thread "How to look less suspicious in a supermarket"
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I've only used self scan in Tesco three times, and been checked twice.

Awful process. Have to wait for staff to come to area to check. Then wait again for them to come back and approve the alcohol. Then wait again because the coupon didn't scan.

Never been checked in Waitrose.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I've only used self scan in Tesco three times, and been checked twice.

Awful process. Have to wait for staff to come to area to check. Then wait again for them to come back and approve the alcohol. Then wait again because the coupon didn't scan.

Never been checked in Waitrose.

I've nearly walked out of our local Waitrose several times without paying! There seems to be no check that you've paid!
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've been checked about 1 in 3 times at tesco and we wouldn't use s&s unless we were buying at least a normal weekly shop.
    To be fair at our local (large) store they usually have a member of staff there permanently.
    Not a major issue, but I've been known to abandon shopping at the till in other shops if no one seems to be taking any interest in resolving issues and I hope most professional shops take note of this as it's a very good example of how poor staffing costs them money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure