🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tesco Scan n Shop - random checks

Options

Comments

• Missus_Hyde
    Missus_Hyde Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We use either Tesco or Waitrose for our shopping and always use the scan and shop. We’ve been selected for checks at both supermarkets.

Tesco usually only check five items, which although it’s a pain, I can spend the time getting my bits and bobs out ready to pay, so it’s not too much of an inconvenience.

Waitrose used to insist on doing a full check; the first time I was a bit miffed as we had all our shopping packed neatly in boxes to facilitate easy unpacking at home, so I did have a little moan to the cashier/checker about it. However, the next time (we’ve only ever been checked twice there) when I queried having to unpack the entire shop, the checker/cashier said that they now only check five items, like Tesco, which does seem far more sensible.
    Someone told me that if you keep scanning then later removing them then you are certain to get checked

I was actually told this by one of the staff at Waitrose (for what it’s worth?)
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm often hitting the remove item button by mistake but not actually removing anything. Wonder if that's setting Orac into action.

I wouldn't mind if it was 5 items but it's everything (or very nearly, I think they give up toward the bottom of my Ikea bag!)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Someone told me that if you keep scanning then later removing them then you are certain to get checked

Yes, I've found that to be the case in Tesco.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I only ever use scanning when I intend to get a £5 free for £40 spend offer. Normally me and wife do one shop each and buy the expensive long lasting stuff like washing powder etc so we get a tenner back :D

Otherwise I don't use them on principle, enough people are losing their jobs through automation and I definitely don't go shopping in order to enable Tesco to lay off more staff. Plus, why should I do Tesco's work for them, scanning and taking payment is part of a retailers responsibility, not mine as a customer!

Rant over :)
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I have not found a correlation between removing items and checking. Maybe a large value item would trigger something but why would someone scan it if they were going to nick it, just bury it at the bottom of a bag.

For the cameras?

Anyway ive found they check stuff more at the bottom of bags, so if your gonna nick it leave it in plain sight...
  • Mista_C
    Mista_C Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    I doubt they really cared, after all self scan has meant some cashiers have lost their jobs.

I like self scan it is quicker and also you know exactly how much your shopping will cost when you come to pay for it.

I'd honestly question that. My local Tesco has more people on the self-scan than on normal check outs due to them constantly having errors or needing a secured item to be checked.
    Normal check outs require one person, those self-scan seem to have a small army of staff hovering around them.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    ...I definitely don't go shopping in order to enable Tesco to lay off more staff. Plus, why should I do Tesco's work for them, scanning and taking payment is part of a retailers responsibility, not mine as a customer!

I guess the counter argument to that is that retailers use self-checkouts to reduce costs, so that they can reduce prices.

But it's difficult to find any reliable data on 'cost per transaction' on a staffed check-out vs self-scan / self-checkout.

It would be interesting to see what happens if supermarkets start adding a service charge for using a staffed checkout instead of a self-service checkout...

... a bit like some airlines charge extra if you check-in at a staffed desk, instead of doing self-service check in.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mista_C wrote: »
    I'd honestly question that. My local Tesco has more people on the self-scan than on normal check outs due to them constantly having errors or needing a secured item to be checked.
    Normal check outs require one person, those self-scan seem to have a small army of staff hovering around them.

I assume you shop in a slightly dodgy area where they need more staff to cover!

My self service checkout as one member of staff monitoring 6 tills.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wound never use self scan, I'd rather use a cashier. I feel like if I don't use a person, then they may lose their job.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I wound never use self scan, I'd rather use a cashier. I feel like if I don't use a person, then they may lose their job.

You are a supermarket Luddite ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family