Tesco Scan n Shop - random checks

Options

Comments

• Sheldon_Cooper
    Options
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    They probably use machine learning to flag the fact that based on your normal sized shop this smaller shop is unusual behaviour and should be checked.

I assume it's something like that, but I can't see any logic in it.

If course it's possible that there is no logic - i.e. it simply says "this is outside this customer's normal behaviour pattern so check".

Anyway, it's no big deal. I really like scan and shop.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It’s not very good the Asda “scan as you” shop system. It’s overly complicated as they don’t run a club card scheme so you need to login via a phone number.

Also this may just be my local one but they don’t staff the checkout area so you can find yourself standing there for five minutes if you are stopped for a random check!
    I was just curious why you'd use scan and shop for just one item.
    Or maybe it's a queue thing (if Asda don't have self service tills) and it's usually quicker than queuing if you don't get stopped.

Re queuing, I find in our Aldi, if you have just a couple of items the person in front usually allows you to go first.
    I certainly do - even though I just do a basket shop in Aldi so never have lots of items - and have also been on the welcome receiving end when I've been behind someone with a trolley piled high.
  • Sheldon_Cooper
    Options
    People often say posts on here are libellous but I’m never too sure if they are.

That's why I said 'potentially'.
    Can you legally libel someone when you don’t have the real name of the person?

Yes.

Because usernames here are a unique tag and it's perfectly possible that other people would know someone and also know their username.

Thus if you post a comment stating that someone is a thief, that would mean that certain other people who saw that comment would know precisely who was being accused.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That's why I said 'potentially'.

Yes.

Because usernames here are a unique tag and it's perfectly possible that other people would know someone and also know their username.

Thus if you post a comment stating that someone is a thief, that would mean that certain other people who saw that comment would know precisely who was being accused.

I’m still not convinced this would hold up in court. It is very tenuous

Do you know if there has ever been a successful libel prosecution where one anonymous username has libelled another anonymous username?
  • JReacher1
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I was just curious why you'd use scan and shop for just one item.
    Or maybe it's a queue thing (if Asda don't have self service tills) and it's usually quicker than queuing if you don't get stopped.

Re queuing, I find in our Aldi, if you have just a couple of items the person in front usually allows you to go first.
    I certainly do - even though I just do a basket shop in Aldi so never have lots of items - and have also been on the welcome receiving end when I've been behind someone with a trolley piled high.

I don’t like aldi’s checkout experience. I accept it’s the price you pay for cheap goods but I do find it a pain when they only have a couple of checkouts open and big queues.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I don’t like aldi’s checkout experience. I accept it’s the price you pay for cheap goods but I do find it a pain when they only have a couple of checkouts open and big queues.
    I'm usually in the store by 8:30am at the latest, not busy at all and usually only wait a couple of minutes at a till if that.

In and out in about 20 minutes.

I do find their 'we are closing till #x', 'we are opening till #xx' confusing and a little irritating though.
  • Sheldon_Cooper
    Options
    I’m still not convinced this would hold up in court. It is very tenuous

That's why I said potential libel, not actual actionable libel.
    Do you know if there has ever been a successful libel prosecution where one anonymous username has libelled another anonymous username?

No.

Probably because, as you say, in most cases no one could link the user name with a real person. And site mods don't want to take the risk, and thus remove reported potentially libellous posts.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Can you legally libel someone when you don’t have the real name of the person?

Yes.
    The person making the accusation of libel doesn't have the true identity of the person they are making the claims against but the MSE administrators or website managers will have access to the true names (providing that they used this when registering).

This:
    https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/judge-orders-users-to-be-named-in-web-forum-libel-case/
    shows what could potentially happen on MSE as a result of libel or potential libel.
    I realise that it's not quite the same as that case involved an anonymous person libeling a name person but why would the MSE administrators want to risk something happening to them?
  • JReacher1
    Options
    Yes.
    The person making the accusation of libel doesn't have the true identity of the person they are making the claims against but the MSE administrators or website managers will have access to the true names (providing that they used this when registering).

This:
    https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/judge-orders-users-to-be-named-in-web-forum-libel-case/
    shows what could potentially happen on MSE as a result of libel or potential libel.
    I realise that it's not quite the same as that case involved an anonymous person libeling a name person but why would the MSE administrators want to risk something happening to them?

Sorry Shaun, I disagree.

I agree that is you libel a real person online then no matter if you are anonymous or not it is an offence.

I don't however agree that if an anonymous profile makes up a lie about another anonymous profile that you can be prosecuted for libel.

If you have any evidence or example of this happening then I will happily change my opinion and admit you are right. I just can't see how it can be.

I would suspect that MSE deleted the post, not because it is libel, but more because calling someone a thief is against the forum rules!
  • Sheldon_Cooper
    Options
    I agree that is you libel a real person online then no matter if you are anonymous or not it is an offence.
    Incorrect.

An offence is a criminal act and criminal libel was repealed in the UK in 2010.
    I don't however agree that if an anonymous profile makes up a lie about another anonymous profile that you can be prosecuted for libel.

Yes, by definition really. Since there is no criminal libel there cannot be a public prosecution. And if the person being lied against tried to bring a civil case, they would obviously no longer be anonymous.
    If you have any evidence or example of this happening then I will happily change my opinion and admit you are right. I just can't see how it can be.

It couldn't happen if the victim was anonymous. If, however, the victim could show that it was well known in certain circles that they posted on a certain forum with a certain user name, and that they had suffered some damage as a result of the libel, then it could.

I'm unaware of it ever happening, but it certainly could.
    I would suspect that MSE deleted the post, not because it is libel, but more because calling someone a thief is against the forum rules!

I'm sure you are correct inasmuch as it would be deleted as being against forum rules, so the libel question would never arise.

However, none of that alters the fact that what was said was a potential libel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure