Currys Infinity can I do any thing about it?

Options
Hello all in a it of a pickle

I bought a tablet pc from currys yesterday, on the infinity plan that they have going on.

The sales person was really pushing me to get it and I was asking about all the other payment option that were on offer. but he was telling me that this was the best one to go for.

One of the questions I asked was how much will i be paying in total for this and he said it would be the cost of rhe tablet and the price of the the the infnity which in total came to £356. that would cover me for theft, online storage and a whole load of other stuff. plus i could trade in after 2 years and get 25% cash back...

my response to him was i dont need all of that and he said you have to have it its part of the package when buying a tablet.

I went on to ask about the 10month payment plan which is a deposit of 10% and then 10 payment. he said with that I would also have to take the knowhow warranty with that and i could not get it with out it.

so at the time i though the infinity was the better option as it cover me for a lot of thing if they ever happened.

I went on to say if im not happy with any thing after fully reading through the paper work can i bring it back and he said yes but its a very limited time frame I said that fine if i don't like it ill be back tomorrow.

he printed all the paperwork for me to sign.

after reading through every thing it turns out that its not £356 for the tablet but more along the line of £550.

there was also a page that said there is no cooling of period which was not shown to me at the time.

I went back down there this morning and explained this to one of the people there who went on to call the finance. they said that it could not be changed. I wanted to just move it over to the 10 month payments

he took my number and said he was going to call head office, he just called back and said that im stuck with it as there is now cooling off. which i think is a bit of a joke its not even been 24 hours.

while in store i decided to as about the 10 month payment play and if you really to have to take that knowhow warranty with it and he said no that's up to you if you want it. so the sales person yesterday did nothing but lie.

Is there any thing that I can do about this?

I do want the tablet all i want to to change my payment options.

im really annoyed buy the way this has gone and I should have known better. it don't help that they tried to rush every ting.

there no way the tablet is worth 500+ quid

any help or advice would be great

Comments

• Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Technically, you've signed the agreement, and that bit of paper with your signature on agreeing to it is the only thing that can be proven for sure.

That said, if you did want to cancel, it is possible. There is nothing to stop it being refunded through the till, aside from your having agreed to it being non-cancellable.

If I were not so scrupulous, I would be the sort of person who would go back into the store and say you've called Rentsmart and they've said it's OK to cancel in-store. And I'm sure you're not the person who would tell a little white lie, now...
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • CurrysPCWorld_company_representative
    CurrysPCWorld_company_representative Posts: 21 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Asoe,

Thanks for posting your query up. I am sorry to read that you have had an issue with a business plan in your local store. If you could email me at [EMAIL="letusknow@knowhow.com"]letusknow@knowhow.com[/EMAIL] and include your infinity agreement number and full address details I will be able to pass this to one of our business team members and see what can be done about this.

Like Esqui says, at the moment you have signed the docs to say that you agree to everything in the agreement, but, I will have a word with our team and see what can be done for you.

Kind Regards,

Paul
    The KNOWHOW Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of CurrysPCWorld. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • sjbuknewc
    sjbuknewc Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2012 at 8:59PM
    Options
    I wish I had seen this post before today!!!

My step dad bought me this as a present today and we too were sold the infinity package after enquiring about the best plan and the sales guy was new I think and had to seek advice. He also told us you need to buy the Knowhow warranty to purchase the iPad.
    I asked if after 2 years we could keep the iPad instead of trading in and he said this was fine.
    Just like you, after reading through the documentation I now know that this is not the case, even though the receipt clearly states the full price of the product and at the end of the 2 years you actually have to hand the iPad back!!
    I don't really need the extra storage or the knowhow product support as the iPad is covered on my home insurance.
    It seems that the staff are trying to get customers to take the infinity finance out above all other options.

If I had of known this my step dad and myself would have taken out a different payment plan altogether.
    Like asoe I would have preferred to take out the 10 month finance as I really do want the iPad!

Is there anyway that we can change our payment options as it has only been a few hours since purchase???
    July Wins:
    Mars: 2 x Rugby Ball
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    Am I missing something here?

An iPad costing about £500 is available at £36.67 (a Month?)
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/infinity-1301-commercial.html

This means over the two year lease you pay over £808.... and then give it back and be left with nothing??:eek:

Someone tell me I have this wrong or for goodness sake explain how ANYONE would be so daft as to fall for this abysmal offer.
  • transient
    transient Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    sjbuknewc wrote: »
    I wish I had seen this post before today!!!

My step dad bought me this as a present today and we too were sold the infinity package after enquiring about the best plan and the sales guy was new I think and had to seek advice. He also told us you need to buy the Knowhow warranty to purchase the iPad.
    I asked if after 2 years we could keep the iPad instead of trading in and he said this was fine.
    Just like you, after reading through the documentation I now know that this is not the case, even though the receipt clearly states the full price of the product and at the end of the 2 years you actually have to hand the iPad back!!
    I don't really need the extra storage or the knowhow product support as the iPad is covered on my home insurance.
    It seems that the staff are trying to get customers to take the infinity finance out above all other options.

If I had of known this my step dad and myself would have taken out a different payment plan altogether.
    Like asoe I would have preferred to take out the 10 month finance as I really do want the iPad!

Is there anyway that we can change our payment options as it has only been a few hours since purchase???
    Yes read the post above yours is a great start
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 July 2012 at 12:50PM
    Options
    Apples2 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?

An iPad costing about £500 is available at £36.67 (a Month?)
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/infinity-1301-commercial.html

This means over the two year lease you pay over £808.... and then give it back and be left with nothing??:eek:

Someone tell me I have this wrong or for goodness sake explain how ANYONE would be so daft as to fall for this abysmal offer.

More like £880.08!

As a great philosopher once said "Infinity Infinity they've all got it in for me"

Kenneth Williams or Caesar
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    That's a worst deal then the "deals" you see at Bright House (ie a washing machine which costs £500 in Currys (so probably you could get it for less online) on sale for £600, take into account the 3 years you pay for it at nearly 30% APR and your paying just over £1400. Madness.
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2012 at 9:54AM
    Options
    For anyone who is interested found this online: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/infinity-1301-commercial.html

EDIT: Missed the post with this link
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    That's a worst deal then the "deals" you see at Bright House (ie a washing machine which costs £500 in Currys (so probably you could get it for less online) on sale for £600, take into account the 3 years you pay for it at nearly 30% APR and your paying just over £1400. Madness.
    But at least with the Brighthouse scam you end up with a washing machine to keep at the end of it (albeit an expensive one).

With this scam you have to give it back, you end up with NOTHING :eek:

How is this scam not being torn apart all over the internet??
  • MagicCats
    MagicCats Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Asoe,

Thanks for posting your query up. I am sorry to read that you have had an issue with a business plan in your local store. If you could email me at [EMAIL="letusknow@knowhow.com"]letusknow@knowhow.com[/EMAIL] and include your infinity agreement number and full address details I will be able to pass this to one of our business team members and see what can be done about this.

Like Esqui says, at the moment you have signed the docs to say that you agree to everything in the agreement, but, I will have a word with our team and see what can be done for you.

Kind Regards,

Paul
    The KNOWHOW Team

Fair enough, the OP did sign. However the blatant lies from sales staff is unacceptable. Do Currys sales staff attend the same sales training as 1980s double glazing salesmen?

Disgusting.
    2012 Wins: 1 x Case of Lanson Champagne :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family