Carnaby Feature Films PLC - ?

Options
I have just received a letter from the above, and they have addressed it me by name. I have never, as far as I know, had anything to do with them in the past, so I am not sure why I have been picked out like this - but have brought it to this board to test the water on it.

There is a stated web site for them which is https://www.carnabyfeaturefilms.com .

They have said there is a chance for me to get involved in the British film industry and take advantage of EIS tax breaks (whatever they are).

It also says that investors will have the opportunity to participate as supporting cast on one or more filming days, and be invited to various social events etc.

Now, my question is, is this for real? The letter looks for real, but as Groucho Marx might have said, if they are daft enough to want me in, they can't be that good....

Please don't take this as a request for investment advice, but if anyone else out there has had anything to do with this kind of thing, I would be grateful.

Cheers.

Comments

• meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They look like a legit film company.

But I've never heard of the movies.

Brit films that lack the backing of major studios are unlikely ever to make a huge profit (if at all).

I'd treat it more as a kind of hobby and write off any "investment".

They might have a break out hit, they might not.

Unlike TV, movies need funding up front - which is where people like you come in (they hope).
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes, I had a letter from Carnaby this morning. Letters like this are often sent out to people who hold shares ( they get names from shareholder lists ) - perhaps that's why they sent you one?

They seem to be perfectly legitimate but the British film industry is not exactly firing on all cylinders right now and Carnaby in particular seem to have made some real stinkers ( you can check out the reviews by Googling the titles. And I don't know about you but to me the pitch for the film sounded absolutely dire ). Also, investing in films and EISs [ Enterprise Investment Scheme ] generally is quite high risk and not for beginners. In fact I would say only suitable for experts in running a business.

Edit: I notice that the quote from the Observer on Carnaby's " invest with us " page (" British movie-making is on a roll. From edgy revenge tragedies set in the Midlands to Bollywood marriages made in Bath, there is an unfashionable optimism about our film industy " ) gives a day and a month but not a year ( it was October 2004 ). It is also rather selective, as you can see if you read the whole of the original article.
  • zag2me
    zag2me Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    People should learn to only invest in things they want to, not what junk mail they get through the door. :)
    Save save save!!
  • pjala
    pjala Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zag2me wrote:
    People should learn to only invest in things they want to, not what junk mail they get through the door. :)
    People will learn, but only after asking:rolleyes:
  • jaxxy00
    jaxxy00 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Just done a Google search for this company as i have recieved a similar letter in the post today and near the top of the google search was this posting. Good ole MSE :T

The next film to be made will be 'The Bridge of Lies' and will be directed by Matt Lipsey (BAFTA award winner for the 'Little Britain' series). It gives an idea of the film etc. Also says about being able to be part of the supporting cast.

Its got me interested so i will send for the prospectus and then see what happens. So as yet no one on here has actually gone ahead and invested then?
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being "part of the supporting cast" probably means being a non-speaking extra in a crowd scene.

This is a well-established way for film makers to get money - but I haven't heard of any investor making money this way.

Let's face it - if a great script, director and cast were in place then one of the top studios would already be backing the venture.
  • Larry365
    Larry365 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i know this is on old thread but maybe someone checks it for replies.

My dad is an investor and while mostly investing in all types of property as well as developing them he occasionally sticks some of his cash in what he calls his "high risk ventures". I wont play it down, he has a lot of money and i think part of him gets involved in these high risk adventures just for the fun of it.

Anyway in late 2006/early 07 he invested £15000 in Carnaby films. He had done very little research on the company, alomst only that of finding out whether the company was legit. Then in the Q3 of 2007 he sold his shares and made a profit of about £8500 only to reinvest the original £15000 into Carnabys new film "a bridge of lies" which has now been renamed. This film premiers next month and finacial returns should showing in about 4-6months. He has also invested small amounts in over Carnaby companies such as Carnaby Media.

So if the inicial investment is anything to go by this could be quite a promising investment however it is still very high risk as 100's of films are made every year with the majority only just making enough to pay back what they owe.

Carnaby now work very closely with Pinewood Studies (007 land) which is a good sign of possible future backing from bigger companies

I'm sure this helps you abit
  • Robes
    Options
    I just happened on this thread whilst google-ing Carnaby Films.

I invested about £7k in Carnaby over the course of a couple of years, a few years ago, I think the film they were making when I first invested was called Spivs.

Over the last number of years they have been bugging me to invest more but I have kept putting them off, realizing it wasnt a great deal. I have tried on several occasions to find out what my shares are worth and where I can find them listed but to no avail. I have come to terms with the fact that it was a bad investment so was interested to read the attached thread. Can anyone enlighten me on how I can find more info on share price and how I could offload the shares?

Thanks
    Larry365 wrote: »
    Hi, i know this is on old thread but maybe someone checks it for replies.

My dad is an investor and while mostly investing in all types of property as well as developing them he occasionally sticks some of his cash in what he calls his "high risk ventures". I wont play it down, he has a lot of money and i think part of him gets involved in these high risk adventures just for the fun of it.

Anyway in late 2006/early 07 he invested £15000 in Carnaby films. He had done very little research on the company, alomst only that of finding out whether the company was legit. Then in the Q3 of 2007 he sold his shares and made a profit of about £8500 only to reinvest the original £15000 into Carnabys new film "a bridge of lies" which has now been renamed. This film premiers next month and finacial returns should showing in about 4-6months. He has also invested small amounts in over Carnaby companies such as Carnaby Media.

So if the inicial investment is anything to go by this could be quite a promising investment however it is still very high risk as 100's of films are made every year with the majority only just making enough to pay back what they owe.

Carnaby now work very closely with Pinewood Studies (007 land) which is a good sign of possible future backing from bigger companies

I'm sure this helps you abit
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Robes wrote: »
    I have tried on several occasions to find out what my shares are worth and where I can find them listed but to no avail. I have come to terms with the fact that it was a bad investment so was interested to read the attached thread. Can anyone enlighten me on how I can find more info on share price and how I could offload the shares?

Hi there,

The investments in Carnaby films are through the Enterprise Investment Scheme. The shares are not listed, they are privately held, thus the price is whatever you can persuade someone else to pay you for them.

It might be worth getting in touch with Carnaby and asking what, if any, arrangements are in place for investors who want to sell their shares. I am not 100% certain but I suspect that the tax advantages are only applicable to new shares issued by the company, so there might not be much of a second-hand market.
  • steveinuk_2
    steveinuk_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2012 at 12:07PM
    Options
    Seems like a revival of this thread is due again!

I always knew this is a high risk investment, but I have a keen interest in film and decided £2.5k is a small enough investment not to worry about.

I got a phone call saying that SONY have bought the rights and also recently done a partnership deal on merchandise, etc, meaning they'll get 50% not 15% as expected. This all sounded good news for the investors, however, I was then told "ok I'll send you out application form and I'll put you down for 2000 shares". Haven't I already bought my shares? I have a share certificate, and they've taken the £2500.

I asked for all the details to be sent out and was told if they produced all the literature again it would cost them money. I didn't actually want the glossy magazine and sales posters :rolleyes: , just an email with exactly what this investment is would do!

Anyone else been conned by Carnaby? They seem legit, but something fishy
    [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family