How much did you owe to go br

Options

Comments

• Bethankim
    Bethankim Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Last October i was 28K in debt, but with interest added its nearer 30K - my job today is filling in the forms and adding it all up.

but to make life even harder my employment and support allowance was stopped on the 18th Feb, we have applied for me to go on my partners JSA claim, but that could take a couple of weeks so three people living on 60.50 a week arrggg

have no choice but to go into my barclays overdraft reserve i know im going to get hammered with charges, but i hope the OR sees that i had to live somehow and 60 quid a week wont pay the essential bills for 3 of us

I just hope i get a court date soon, seeing cab tomorrow with all the forms etc so finger crossed.
    BR 2nd April 2009
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

• scorpio62
    scorpio62 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all, I'm currently in debt to the tune of around £40,000. I admit to reckless spending and don't really know where most of the money has gone. I've admitted reckless spending on my bankruptcy forms and my appointment to go bankrupt is Tuesday 10th March. Feel sick at the thought of going and having to explain where all my money went!! I'm now on job seekers allowance (made redundant at xmas) and even spent what redundancy money I was given on some new furniture, etc - bed, fridge freezer, tv,etc. This won,t go down well but, feel totally out of control in my life right now. :confused::confused:
  • powell16
    powell16 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    hello

just finished filling out the forms for the 6th march, my debt totals 30,000 and my hubbys is 45,000. Cant believe how it mounts up, it is our fault, reckless spending thinking things would be ok, then all of a sudden you cant meet the payments.
    bankrupt on 6th march 2009:o looking forward now to new beginnings:j
  • headoutofsand
    Options
    scorpio62 wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm currently in debt to the tune of around £40,000. I admit to reckless spending and don't really know where most of the money has gone. I've admitted reckless spending on my bankruptcy forms and my appointment to go bankrupt is Tuesday 10th March. Feel sick at the thought of going and having to explain where all my money went!! I'm now on job seekers allowance (made redundant at xmas) and even spent what redundancy money I was given on some new furniture, etc - bed, fridge freezer, tv,etc. This won,t go down well but, feel totally out of control in my life right now. :confused::confused:

Have you really been reckless, perhaps you could post a new thread and tell us what you spent the money on if you can remember. Being reckless and being silly are two different things. You may not of been as reckless as you think, so before pressing the submit button or writing down on the 2nd or 3 rd sheet (Reasons for BR) Lets have a look. No need to be ashamed. We are not here to judge just support;)
    Better to be poor than a slave to wealth

• Lol_UK_2
    Lol_UK_2 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    Went BR in april 2000- 42k in credit cards/loans including 12k to the inland revenue...I feel no guilt about that!!! I paid no tax (silly me) from 1982 to 1990- got stung with a bill for 27k plus 13k in interest...paid it all off in 4 years and never recovered. Justice I'd say!

scorpio62... don't worry about your household spending...I got through 15k to furnish a rented flat 6 months before I went BR (my share of house sale)...on the advice of an insolvency practitioner!- 'spend it all' they said!! The OR didn't like it, but it was justifiable in my opinion, and caused no grief.

Just to add...best thing I ever did- and NEVER considered an IVA!!!
    A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. (Oscar Wilde)
    We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free. (Bill Hicks)
  • december
    december Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    For me, my partner (now husband) collapsed and found himself with residual health problems that wouldn't go away. He was in his late 20s and all of a sudden we were down to one income. I called Debt Free Direct (not a call I'd advise anyone to make :) ) as wondered if an IVA was a possibility. When we had gone through all of the household bills they advised that I was technically insolvent and that was before any of the credit card repayments. This was about April time 2007. I then called a charity and had a similar discussion with them, but with less pressure and more impartial advice. They too advised me to go bankrupt but at a time when it suited me. I made token payments for just over a year until I'd had enough of the phone calls and visits. 28th May 2008 I went attended the court and I was made bankrupt. I owed just under £30,000

December
    BSC support number 158

weight loss - 52lbs
  • Summer1969
    Summer1969 Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    We owed around £42k.
    "Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, except backwards and in high heels"
    BSC Member - No 171 :jAD - 3 July 2009:j

• lisamummytoarchieplusbump
    Options
    mine was 7k credit cards/ overdraft/loans/cataloges just silly spending basicly nothing to show for it
    If you want to see the rainbow ,you gotta put up with some rain
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scorpio62 wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm currently in debt to the tune of around £40,000. I admit to reckless spending and don't really know where most of the money has gone. I've admitted reckless spending on my bankruptcy forms and my appointment to go bankrupt is Tuesday 10th March. Feel sick at the thought of going and having to explain where all my money went!!

Similar scence in Sparticus.

"I'm Reckless" and puts hand up :o and you will not be alone. You will (Like me) just think you have but you haven't

ym
  • nicniven
    nicniven Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    After our house was repossed our joint debt was £125,000 !!!!

Yes very silly and no i dont know how it happened !!! cards, high income at the start but then lost high paying jobs an couldnt catch up and it all went downwards. Bankrupcty was our only option after various attempts to get out of debt over 8 years and yes according to the OR we were a STANDARD case !!!!!!! standard are they having a laugh or what but hey otherside of it now discharged early as they were pleased with our honesty and records.

Deb no matter how big or small is scary so ultimate respect for all who make a decision to deal with it no matter how they deal with it
    Don't try to keep up with the Jones because they owe more than you do !!!
    BSC ~ 136 ---- Bankrupt 25/6/08 - 10.36am
    DISCHARGED 12th FEBRUARY 2009
    Sealed Pot Challenge #237 -Total £0.60 Started 17/03/08
    Nectar Points 2310 equivalent to £12.50 from Argos for Xmas
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business