🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How much did you owe to go br

Options

Comments

• jenni75
    jenni75 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    trying to get the courage to put down our amount, I feel a little sick now thinking of it. :(
  • philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jenni75 wrote: »
    trying to get the courage to put down our amount, I feel a little sick now thinking of it. :(

Be brave your among freinds....;)
    Although you dont have to
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • jenni75
    jenni75 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    I know you might not judge but sure you will take in a deep breath. it was a shocking 80k ( this was for us both.) No house as a excuse but a business and francise. Pleased to see peachy said they have to start bro procedures 10wks prior to ad, I only got four wks left and OH already got ED for exactly the same debt.
  • custard_cream_3
    Options
    It's so easily done Jenni, and when things are being repaid, it never seems a problem!
  • nervousmother
    Options
    you know, wether its for 1k or 250k it does not matter. The effects are all the same. Branded and shamed.
    I have heard some sad stories on this board, business deals gone wrong, housing market, loss of job. It does not matter if you went BR with 40k of credit card debt if you believed you could pay it back, then due to reduction in hours or loss of job you couldnt,
    My OH has about 50k credit card debt, due to him using his CC to fund a business that ended badly. That business shut 3 years ago & he carried on paying the bills. The housing market was the nail in coffin.
    We all share the same ups and downs, the court the OR meeting, Im glad we have this board where we can ask 'is this normal'
    bound by bad times, internet friends. I raise my glass to you all.
    Stay around, in 5 years I want to hear about the good things, how we have managed to turn our lives around. How we are happy and doing well once again.
  • headoutofsand
    Options
    Hi NM. You don't feel branded and shamed do you?

Why should you? Plenty of business ventures go wrong, just look at RBS.

As for others who have overdone the cc and other stuff, it was all there on a plate, the banks loved it minimum payments = great customers. They spent millions telling you in a subliminal way to spend, spend , spend and are still doing it. Plenty of others are still running around spending money they have no way of paying back, they will join our merry bunch when the time comes.

Like has been pointed out "IT was all to easy" The banks made it this way, they made people think like that through aggressive marketing and subliminal advertising. I for one have no shame and neither should any of us;)
    Better to be poor than a slave to wealth

• haleygrey
    Options
    mine was for just over £15k, along with an inability to be savvy with money!. so now im going to be strict with myself and only buy what i NEED, rather than what i want.
    :beer:
  • nervousmother
    Options
    Hi NM. You don't feel branded and shamed do you?

Why should you? Plenty of business ventures go wrong, just look at RBS.

As for others who have overdone the cc and other stuff, it was all there on a plate, the banks loved it minimum payments = great customers. They spent millions telling you in a subliminal way to spend, spend , spend and are still doing it. Plenty of others are still running around spending money they have no way of paying back, they will join our merry bunch when the time comes.

Like has been pointed out "IT was all to easy" The banks made it this way, they made people think like that through aggressive marketing and subliminal advertising. I for one have no shame and neither should any of us;)

Yes I do feel branded and shamed, If i loose my job for what ever reason I will not be able to take the same role in another company due to my BR. I have done this job all my life, and just because I hit hard times it does not mean I am not capable of doing it.
    My name was in the paper I had a cousin call my mom to tell her 'with glee' My OH has had people phone him too.

'money cant buy some things in life.. for everything else there is mastercard' dont you just hate that advert! making you out to be a bad parent if you dont spend spend spend...
  • ogglydoggly
    Options
    Had my brother ring me when he saw my name in the paper. Instead of offering support he asked why "scum like me run up debts and then take the easy way out?" He then proceeded to tell every member of family he could. Some people have no idea what we have all had to go through to become BR. The phone calls, the letters, the OR, losing posessions, all of it.:mad:

Needless to say what goes around comes around. Today he was caught speeding and when police pulled him he had no MOT. Maybe there is justice out there ;)
  • dawnm96700
    Options
    So glad i started this thread, i thought i was in huge debt, roughly £18000 bad enough though. No excuse really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport