Are XLN any good

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• AlexWhy
    Options
    Just left XLN and i'm now on a mission to save anyone else doing through the nightmare that i did. You can try Offcom and they might be able to force action to make XLN let go of your supply without the fee.
  • klsbiz
    Options
    Adding Product and Charges to your account without you have been informed.
    1- Business Assurance £1.95 + vat
    2- Payment Processing Fee £3.95 + vat

We have been XLN Telecom customer since October 2015. We have had alread money taken from our Debit account ( £99.0 + Vat ) on November 2015. without informing us. The money was refunded before the court proceeding against XLN Telecom.

They said they will refund the all the charges for Business Assurance. they said " Payment Processing Fee " is in our terms and condition they said " Sorry it is not " But is it is in our " policy " which the sale team have informed you, “which they did not” .
    The total amount is £16.90.
    It is the principle. They are total Rubbish. Unfortunately we can not cancel our contract until our terms is finished.
  • JaniArnolds
    Options
    Hello to all. My first post in this forum but I have been reading the great advice here for years, however never needed to ask for help.

I've got myself into a situation with XLN Broadband after they completely lied to me on their advertising and now they are gauging me for money and i would appreciate greatly any advice on how to handle this situation.

in June this year I was looking for a broadband connection for a small business and I foolishly clicked on a XLN Broadband ad that promised a year of free internet.

I entered my phone number thinking that not much would come of it.
    As I was on holiday, one evening I get a call from XLN asking me to set up a connection and as I was having dinner at the time of the call, I just agreed with whatever the guy on the call said (stupid, I know). My thinking was that they would send me a contract to read and sign before anything would be done. Soon I got emails from them saying that there has been an appointment set up for an engineer to visit to install a new line.
    I followed through thinking that i would get a free 1 year broadband.

The engineer didn't turn up on the first appointment even tough I took a day off just to wait for him to arrive.
    They rescheduled the appointment a month later.
    At that point there were no talks about money or how much I would need to pay.
    I was under the impression that I would be entering into a 24 month contract for unlimited broadband for 16.99 a month from which first year would be free.. (please see image links below for proof)

So they set up the connection a month later and after first 2 weeks i got the first invoice and my jaw dropped. They were asking for 55 pounds instead of the promised 16.99. I called them up saying they have made a mistake and i was told that the 50 pounds (for the first 2 weeks) were admin charges for not signing up for direct debit and one month advance for the connection. I asked them to switch me to the 16.99 package.
    Fast forward to the latest bill I got few days ago. The bill is 154 pounds :eek: and apparently they have charged me a "missed appointment" fee which is 99 pounds. I called them up and asked again to switch me to the promised 16.99 deal and i asked for evidence of the "missed appointment" to which they read a statement of the engineer saying he knocked on the door and nobody answered which is a lie.

I am at a loss here as it is around 500 pounds to get out of the contract so i am desperate for advice on how to deal with this.
    Thanks for taking the time and reading this. Regards.

PS. I have screen-grabbed all the offers they were promising me so if you want to have a look go to the urls below. (not allowed to post direct links because I am new :()
    https___ibb.co/iDbVVb
    https___ibb.co/jEyVDw
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a business contract ??as such you will need to read your terms and conditions .
    https://www.xlntelecom.co.uk/business-broadband
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    XLN is a business to business operator, in those circumstances you don't get the protections in the consumer side of things - no option of written agreements to pour over or 14 day cooling off periods, a verbal agreement starts the ball rolling so to speak straight away as soon as you say Yes.

The deal appears to be this one:
    https://www.xlntelecom.co.uk/business-phone-broadband/business-max.aspx

Presumably if you needed a new line you were moving to them from Virgin?
  • JaniArnolds
    JaniArnolds Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 October 2017 at 4:57PM
    Options
    It is a business contract apparently, however I have never signed any piece of paper. They are saying that the first phone call is a verbal contract, even tough I have not signed anything. The whole time I have been telling them on every phone call that I am expecting the 16.99 deal and they just refuse to even acknowledge that such a thing exists. Every time I mention this on the phone they just tell me that I am getting an amazing deal anyway with free line install (which wasn't free as I am charged 99£ for this) and I am getting the fastest unlimited broadband which I never wanted. I just want the 16.99 a month deal and that's it.

I never knew that business deals don't have same protections as consumer deals. Good lesson to learn I guess. What I am annoyed about that they just don't let you switch even tough I have been clear that I want the 16.99 deal all along and they upgraded me to something I do not need nor want nor can afford.

P.S. I was not moving any lines, this was a fresh line.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options
    As I say, business contracts don't need physical signatures, just saying "yes" on the phone is enough.

You may do better to put in a written complaint to the head office address stating politely that's what you signed up for, the £16.95 offer, you don't have it, that's what you believed you agreed to on the initial phone (remember they will have recorded the call, you being on holiday probably won't though I dare say) and take it from there.

Failing that this sector of the market is a completely different kettle of fish to getting the same services at home and if you have no joy after eight weeks, see here:
    https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications
  • maryju
    maryju Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hope I'm posting in the right place and apologise in advance for the long post...

So we've been a customer of XLN for over 5 years and finally managed to liberate ourselves from their overcontrolling service.
    They first entice you in with cheap offers and then put prices up by adding on sneaky charges and make it an absolute mission for you to leave. When we requested to leave once the contract was over, we were bombarded with text messages and phone calls and threatened with a £199 termination fee. Whenever we contacted them with any issues, the service was really poor.

Anyhow, this company has an overall 4 star rating on Trustpilot with many 5 star glowing reviews on the first page. How can this be so when Google reviews give them an overall 3.1 star rating with many negative reviews sharing similar experiences to mine??

When I tried to leave a negative review on Trustpilot, I was asked to leave my account number so XLN can trace up the reviewer. I have no doubt that any customer who leaves a neg review would be contacted and offered unbelievable offers but as I didn't provide my account details, I received a message from TrustPilot saying they would be removing my negative review as they couldn't verify my account, and I would have to povide my account info to XLN. (I didn't want any further contact them due to their controlling and intimidating manner previously experienced)

What does this say of Trust Pilot and their review system? How can Google and Trust Pilot present two very different images of the same company? I personally believe their review system is manipulated by the companies who subscribe for their services like XLN, who remove any neg reviews where account info is not provided or will take action upon a negative review and request the customer to revise their review, thus presenting an inaccurate image. I, for one, am now wary of companies which hold high ratings on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure