PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Options

Comments

• Shropshirelass
    Options
    1. WhatsApp chat with DD and DGD

2. Chat with neighbours, unusual as we rarely see them as we live on a corner. Things should improve as Mrs is going to retire at end of school year. I'm glad as she works far too hard, and it will be nice to have her around more

3. Tried turmeric as an alternative to ibuprofen for various aches and pains, and it does seem effective. I researched a bit and will monitor for possible side effects but feeling hopeful. I don't like to take regular Ibuprofen for a long time.

4. New lamb hotpot recipe tried successfully. Contained lots of carrots, onions and celery which OH did not appear to notice.

5. Not sure where the day went to, I must have had a nap ?!!I

6. Shrewsbury Town did well.
  • balabooberlies
    Options
    hhhmmm

don't quite know how to write this.........

Straight after my last post decided to phone my Dad who had been travelling to Cyprus with my brother. He had taken ill. He's okay now. Don't think I can say anything else.

So, my plans for my evening out with my closest cousin are now changed. We will celebrate her birthday in a few weeks and I will take great joy from that.

Cooked an rtc dinner and it was nice, so very pleased. Fell asleep around 10pm and have just woken up.

Came on here to find lots of really lovely messages so thank you so much. They have made my day.

My Dad seems okay now. Best birthday present ever.

A good nights sleep to one and all

Bala

x
    AKA : Bala La Boo & Bala Baloo

According to a lovely poster I am Bala the Brave who wrestled a Tiger.  You know who you are..... 

I HAVE A GOLD STAR and A MEDAL and a Title !
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Frith at least you had two goodbyes with bigger son. December is a long time though.

1. Slept fairly well for me.

2. Spent some time in the garden. It does me good being out. More bricks moved and a trench part filled in.

3. Journey good to rugby. Trains worked well and managed to find a seat on all trains. Also quickest leaving Twickenham station it only took 5 minutes to get out of the station. Last week it took 20 munutes. Will be fun for the 6 nations!!

4. Rugby was good. A convincing win and we showed commitment.

5. Managed to find enough food to cook what I was going to with addition of baked beans. DS2 has eaten some for lunch! Said no to a takeaway.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pleasures for yesterday.

Seeing a bird having a wash in a pot hole filled with fresh rain, so pot holes are good for something.
    Going to the cinema during the day.
    All stocks of cleaning materials for about the next year now all sorted.
    Dr who
    Vera
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • PaulieHerts
    PaulieHerts Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 27 January 2020 at 8:48AM
    Options
    Hello everyone

Very few pleasures to report as coughing for England is wearing me out!

Cooked a lovely roast pork dinner on Saturday while I’ve still got an oven
    Enough pork for repeat on Sunday and leftovers to do something with on Monday
    Being able to stay in the warm and not having to ring in sick for work
    Watching a couple of Kavanagh QC episodes on tv - lots of familiar faces
    Sorting son’s accounts into some semblance of order. The rest is up to him

Bye from lurgyland. Hope you are all warm and wellish
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still somewhat lurgified and feeling not great, but some pleasures, despite further asb reporting(as instructed). The offending householders break terms of the strict PCS letter with impunity, including filming &'s every movement.

1. Coach breakdown meant yesterday's 7.02h journey started at 7.30h, but arrival not too much after scheduled 9.15h. Some good London walking, then free bus pass via fave old C10 to Chelsea School of Art and Tate Britain. C10 also stops outside YH Thameside, always &'s London o/n stopover, with always that walk across the road in Dickens' footsteps to the river, and Pip with Magwitch.....

3. Early for 10.30h timed slot, was so kindly taken under wing by a lovely Tate chap:-)
    Treated self(with Art Pass discount)to 'Tyger Tyger burning bright' tote bag for big catalogue and floor plan and odd exhbn bits, but look here:
    https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/william-blake/exhibition-guide

4. Upstairs while waiting, to see some well-known Millais wimmins and other. Particularly liked this Ford Madox Brown:
    https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/brown-the-hayfield-t01920
    amid all of him, in the Walk Through British Art section:
    https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/ford-madox-brown-65

4. 5 multi-section rooms of extraordinary William Blake. His immaculate tiny writing. His immaculate, unsparing of standards, inner vision self. His high craftsmanship honed/formed during 7 years' gifted and innovative apprenticeship(from 14) as an Engraver. So many things hidden in tiny messaging within so many wild, great, broad sweeps of mind and intent - and, at all times assisted in perfect collaboration with his wife, an exceptional colourist herself.
    Her part is fully praised, now being re-appraised and reassessed by scholars, though never supplanting WB. Theirs was a long and happy marriage.

5. 5 hours later!.....emerge, thank my kind early guide then more chat before refreshing rainy walk and wait for C10 back. Final treat to self at Victoria coach station - Prêt choc/cappu/sandwich/pain aux raisins/biccie, spread over 90 mins, comfortably seated, not hassled, and they were yum. Soddit no guilt £10 spend by &.
    #
    Then p&r car back to asb, so another report no. given.... the people to whom these reports are made can see track record, see repeat abuse, are all reassuring and keep urging & not to apologise for bothering them.... yet again.
    #
    Frith - where is son in France off to today?
    How is he travelling? Will we have more videos/news?
    This is another family adjustment, of which you have known and come through so many. & says again - give yourself a pat on the back, Mother Superior;-)
    #
    Monday blessings to all, however needed or found - right on this thread, if nowhere else:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    For yesterday,

After quite a few days of grey bleurgh weather the sun shone for a fair bit of the day.

Did the RSPB bird watch, interesting to compare to previous years, am sad like that :D, the sparrow squadron have really taken over with few finches, apart from the gold variety, seen these days.

Whipped up a quick batch of sultana scones before cooking the chicken for lunch.

Another one here who enjoyed the Shrewsbury v Liverpool game.

Fresh scone and jam for tea.

Vera.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still somewhat lurgified and feeling not great, but some pleasures, despite further asb reporting(as instructed). The offending householders break terms of the strict PCS letter with impunity, including filming &'s every movement.

1. Coach breakdown meant yesterday's 7.02h journey started at 7.30h, but arrival not too much after scheduled 9.15h. Some good London walking, then free bus pass via fave old C10 to Chelsea School of Art and Tate Britain. C10 also stops outside YH Thameside, always &'s London o/n stopover, with always that walk across the road in Dickens' footsteps to the river, and Pip with Magwitch.....

3. Early for 10.30h timed slot, was so kindly taken under wing by a lovely Tate chap:-)
    Treated self(with Art Pass discount)to 'Tyger Tyger burning bright' tote bag for big catalogue and floor plan and odd exhbn bits, but look here:
    https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/william-blake/exhibition-guide

4. Upstairs while waiting, to see some well-known Millais wimmins and other. Particularly liked this Ford Madox Brown:
    https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/brown-the-hayfield-t01920
    amid all of him, in the Walk Through British Art section:
    https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/ford-madox-brown-65

4. 5 multi-section rooms of extraordinary William Blake. His immaculate tiny writing. His immaculate, unsparing of standards, inner vision self. His high craftsmanship honed/formed during 7 years' gifted and innovative apprenticeship(from 14) as an Engraver. So many things hidden in tiny messaging within so many wild, great, broad sweeps of mind and intent - and, at all times assisted in perfect collaboration with his wife, an exceptional colourist herself.
    Her part is fully praised, now being re-appraised and reassessed by scholars, though never supplanting WB. Theirs was a long and happy marriage.

5. 5 hours later!.....emerge, thank my kind early guide then more chat before refreshing rainy walk and wait for C10 back. Final treat to self at Victoria coach station - Prêt choc/cappu/sandwich/pain aux raisins/biccie, spread over 90 mins, comfortably seated, not hassled, and they were yum. Soddit no guilt £10 spend by &.
    #
    Then p&r car back to asb, so another report no. given.... the people to whom these reports are made can see track record, see repeat abuse, are all reassuring and keep urging & not to apologise for bothering them.... yet again.
    #
    Frith - where is son in France off to today?
    How is he travelling? Will we have more videos/news?
    This is another family adjustment, of which you have known and come through so many. & says again - give yourself a pat on the back, Mother Superior;-)
    #
    Monday blessings to all, however needed or found - right on this thread, if nowhere else:-)
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bala - happy belated birthday & big hugs to you & dad!

Funeral done & blessings called down on all who have held the Dig tribe in their thoughts - thank you. Now to learn to go on.

Timelapse again...

We want a nice real wooden frame for a photo of the lad. The usual offerings from Dunelm, Wilco & Hobbycraft are all plastic coated mdf at best. [Three photo frames from charity shops, 2 real honeys at a pound a piece!]

The antibiotics have to be so many hours apart. Listening to Himself bewildered by Snooze mode was almost hilarious.

The unexpected kindnesses - we met a largely-humanist celebrant in a library & the librarians lent us a meeting room, so we could speak freely.

Frankly laughed aloud (both humour & horror) when a beer lorry reversed & knocked over a flagpole (with flag). Later saw flagpole being carefully lugged within.

A proper Cornish pasty! Can feel the suet pastry goodness cuddling my arteries - hugely welcome in the cold. (BoP may rightly view this as improper feeding but it warmed parts other foodstuffs haven’t heard of.)

I recant & repent my ingratitude to anonymous hugs. I’m still bemused at how the jungle drums operate, but I’m learning to love the hugs.

It’s wonderful what a good night’s sleep can do - and the reverse holds too. Broomstick, SuffolkSue - if it’s offered, take it?!

“Guerilla warfare doesn’t include real gorillas. What a letdown!” Ah, youngest...

Himself is preparing to write the eulogy & we are debarred from disturbing him no matter how bad the howling. Which feels even more wrong but having read a few disrupted emails you can see where the concentration has slipped. [It’s superb.]

Youngest has, as asked, removed his clothes from the floor. (Smaug would recognise the contours of his bed now, but part of loving him is trusting him to get the sleep in somehow anyway.)

Message from flat mate’s mum - everyone washing & brushing & shaving & ironing to do the lad credit. Us too. My parents & sisters in their hotel room. I believe my in laws likewise. Just got to cut the rosemary & tie it with the black ribbon, don all my sartorial fuss & release my hair.

Funeral very smooth - not perfect but fine. Wake very supportive & relatives awed that the tiny fragile blossom flatmate (who found the body) cheerfully cleared a huge carvery plateful! Lactose intolerant vegan sis ate two whole courses & enjoyed the lot (an even bigger shock)!

Had to laugh. Today of all days ebay marketing email “Your day is about to get even better” - actually? Yes spending huge sums on a funeral & feeding worked. Several tearful family members puttered off well fed & affectionate - must send [have sent] thank you note to eatery who were wonderful. (Next email From Denby, “Embrace the Blues | Colour of the Year 2020” - have to laugh!)

Middleson loosened his very smart black tie & managed to achieve a degree of louche that put him in the bar of a smoky jazz club a few decades ago. A photo I regret not requiring but it wasn’t a time or place for photos. Now I know he can, though...

Favourite kebab place presently closed as proprietor gunned down in Pakistan, & family in hiding. Miword & we thought *we* had problems.

Life has booby traps. All trundling along, I’m unwillingly tidying & ah. Here’s why his scout blanket lacked the gold award & the young leader badge. His uniform shirt still had them on, & it was stuffed amongst a pile of other clothes. The pleasure will be migrating them to his blanket properly, then washing the shirt so another explorer scout can go on to have fun wearing it.

Himself, looking for photos of a certain sort of model plane engine popular in the 1950s, amongst decals and plans & photos of planes under construction found photos of his ally in test piloting. The joy of a good memory, even when it catches you unawares.

Wad of orders of service & copies of eulogy neatly enveloped, addressed, stamped & good to go to relatives who weren’t invited. Each with a brief note thanking them, as is only right. (Or so I feel - it’s a fraught landscape without a map. Why can I get a Collins gem how-to on matrimony but not on the little nuances hints & tips of the social side of bereavement?! I’m running what feels right as best I can & it’s almost Victorian in places.)

Snow forecast but sky blue with high cloud. Suspect forecasting a not-exact science!

Thank you. All of you.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Beautifully written (as ever) DforV. I have no words...

Pleasures for yesterday

1. Hedgelaying happened without incident
    2. A glorious bath with bubbles afterwards
    3. Was reading my book but it is not engaging enough to continue with. THe pleasure is acceptance that I do not *have* to finish it.
    4. Jacket potato, cheese and beans - in that order, always. Not a sunday roast (we had that on Saturday) but proper foods and good for you.... :D
    5. Little women at our favourite cinema. Used a voucher so free for us and delightful.

Have a good day all.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport