Is it just women who get caught up with the whole "fairy tale wedding"?

Options

Comments

• Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that those who feel that the two are mutually exclusive are perhaps feeling that having a small, cheap wedding day is morally superior as it they feel displays that they care more about the marriage than the day, but that is not always the case!!

There is a lot of that joyless attitude on this forum :wink:
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    I wan't one who planned her wedding as a girl. Being married, yes, but not a clue as to how the event would be. I think this is largely due to my father telling me from about 5 years old that going up the aisle was the easy part - the living happily ever after was much harder! (His other saying about weddings was 'Old Scottish proverb. Always marry for love - you can borrow money cheaper....)

My own wedding was a registry ceremony followed by a buffet lunch at my parents house. This was partly due to budget constraints, but also because I felt it was hypercritical of me to get married in a church when I wasn't a churchgoer.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is possible to have both a really nice, big, posh (if you want to use that term) wedding and a long, happy marriage;)

I think that those who feel that the two are mutually exclusive are perhaps feeling that having a small, cheap wedding day is morally superior as it they feel displays that they care more about the marriage than the day, but that is not always the case!!

As said before, ask this question on another site, then you would get different answers

I certainly don't feel superior because I had a small "cheap" wedding. We went that route because he was divorced, neither of us religious , we had already lived together 13 years, had the house and everything it entails, we had been through hell and high water, good times and some bloody awful times and I think really for us, it was just confirmation that we were both there for each other for the long haul.

Maybe if we had met younger, without the baggage we both had, we may have married sooner and had the big bash, who knows ? But I don't ever remember dreaming about the fairy tale wedding, I never even thought Id ever get married :D
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    charlie792 wrote: »

So we've planned a small wedding (less than 30 guests) but we're hiring a private house for a whole weekend and doing things a bit different.

You’re monopolising a whole weekend? Or can people just come for the important bit?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I was not bothered about a big wedding and we only had three months to plan it. I certainly did not dream about getting married as a young girl with a floaty princess dress.

We were saving for a house and paying out thousands for a wedding was not on our agenda. We were lucky enough to get a cheap rented flat above a bank (I worked for a bank) but the condition was we had to be married or getting married within three months.

I rented a dress, reception was in a marquee in my parents garden and we kept all costs as low as possible. We rearranged a holiday already planned and made that our honeymoon. No debt, no fuss and suited us. We are still married 37 years later.

My sister had the posh wedding with the fancy hotel, plush honeymoon and all the trimmings. She is now going through a divorce although they still stayed married until their children were adults but not that happily I think sadly.

Each to their own but I wonder how many who pay out for these fancy weddings are still married in five years time or regret paying out that much.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    It is possible to have both a really nice, big, posh (if you want to use that term) wedding and a long, happy marriage;)

Alikay wrote: »
    There is a lot of that joyless attitude on this forum :wink:

:shocked::shocked:
    If thats all the pair of you got from what i wrote then it says a lot more about you than it does me.
    Rude much! ;)
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    :shocked::shocked:
    If thats all the pair of you got from what i wrote then it says a lot more about you than it does me.
    Rude much! ;)

And it isn't rude to imply that if you have a big wedding you care more about that than the longevity of the marriage? Really?
  • jp1964
    jp1964 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Interesting replies.

My perspective is that its down to personal choice, and personality, and I guess men are just as individual as women! Some want involvement and some don't. Some people want a big wedding and some don't, there is no right or wrong way.I personally do not think the scale of the wedding dictates if the marriage will last! That is all down to attitude, effort in working at the marriage and personality/ compatibility.

I am getting married next year for the second time, and yes, we are having a big wedding as far as it is a ceremony in a castle and then a reception in the local town hall, in a beautiful room, and I am having the full white dress thing, we are having vintage 1950's cars, photographer, room decorator, professional caterers and cake, entertainment and evening dj etc, but it certainly is a considered choice, rather than 'getting caught up' in the whole wedding thing, we are both really looking forward to it, and have planned it together, although my dress will be a secret until the day lol!

We are paying for it all ourselves, we both already own property and we live on my fiance's houseboat. Our adult children are all being involved, we have 6 daughters and a son between us, my son is walking me down the aisle and the girls are all bridesmaids. My partner's little grandson will also be there, as will my two nephews who will be ushers, which they are very pleased about!

My first wedding was a church wedding, followed by a reception in the church hall next to the church, we had caterers, one car, flowers, photographer, and we were married for 31 years before separation and later divorce. My ex husband was not involved with the wedding planning at all, all he had to do was turn up.

I was not looking for another long term relationship when I met my fiance online, just dating and fun times, but we hit it off as soon as we met, we just get on so well, and we fell in love almost straight away. 2 years on, after living together for more than a year, we still do, and the wedding is going to be a celebration of that, no more and no less.

I am an emotional person, so I know I am going to cry, and quite honestly I feel so lucky to have met someone who I love so much and loves me back in equal measure. He is emotional too, but is not publicly over emotional so I will be very surprised if he has tears on the day, even though he loves me so much. I am very much on the waterproof mascara scale!

The kind of wedding we are having is simply what we both want, a big celebration, and to share that day with family and friends will be so wonderful.

It is costing in the region of about £12,000 and we are going camping in France for our honeymoon, simply because that is what we love to do.

I respect the fact that for many our kind of day is not their choice, and if you truly love someone that is all that matters, and a small wedding is just as lovely, but for us the choice was what it is.

It is certainly true that I would love to feel like a princess on my wedding day, if that means to feel really special, yes indeed, and I will be spending hundreds rather than thousands on a dress to do that, and if that makes some people think me shallow, I am of an age and maturity to not really care. We are both happy with what we have chosen to do.

The main reason for our choice of day is to share our love and our wedding day with those we care about, and at 55 years old each, that is what we would like to do and we choose to spend our money this way.
    Making time for me now. Out with old habits and ideas, and open to change......:j
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lovely post jp1964. One of my dearest friends is in exactly the same boat as you and has a very similar wedding coming up soon. I'm to be her bridesmaid (as I was the first time around) and I'm really looking forward to it. I feel like it is her 'proper' wedding this time.

Just goes to show that it's whatever feels right that counts. Worked for me and Mr S anyway as we're still together close on 25 years later...
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only thing that was non-negotiable for me was that my engagement ring was a bespoke one made by my favourite jeweller, with good sized, high quality stones. Now husband wandered over to WH Smith's to look at magazines and left me to it. His eyebrows did do some interesting acrobatics when he returned and I told him what the jeweller and I had decided on. Before I get castigated - he paid the deposit and I paid the other half when I collected it two months later. After over 13 years it equates to a Starbucks a day in cost - bargain! And I still love it - nearly as much as I love him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure